Resto mod

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The RAV4 EV chassis is not special enough to warrant such efforts. There are enough functionally equivalent AWD mid-size SUVs on the market that meet the same functional requirements. Most RAV4 EV owners have already moved on to these vehicles like the VW ID.4. Now there are excellent EVs that have even more capabilities than the RAV4 EV like the Kia EV9 that offers seating for 6 or 7 adults.

I respect people that do EV conversions on vehicles like the Land Rover Defender. That presents a new solution that is not available on the market.

Mechanically, it might be relatively easy, since there are 4WD 06-12 Rav4's in wrecking yards where one could source a pair of RWD hubs & axles, plus the rear cargo area is empty.
I considered doing this with Model 3/Y drive units but I agree that the Rav4 is not special enough or useful enough to put in that kind of work (the real work would be electrical/communication/firmware).
Instead, I built an electric 4WD Tundra. Far more useful than my Rav4 (I wish I could sell my Rav4 but I'm stuck with it).

Mechanically, it might be relatively easy, since there are 4WD 06-12 Rav4's in wrecking yards where one could source a pair of RWD hubs & axles, plus the rear cargo area is empty.
I considered doing this with Model 3/Y drive units but I agree that the Rav4 is not special enough or useful enough to put in that kind of work (the real work would be electrical/communication/firmware).
Instead, I built an electric 4WD Tundra. Far more useful than my Rav4 (I wish I could sell my Rav4 but I'm stuck with it).
An electric tundra? I must know more!

Latest posts

Back