For Sale: 2012 RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eoak23

Hi there folks,

I bought this car last December and it is now currently inoperable. Being a new owner I didn’t know the ins and outs of where to take it to get fixed, and in the interim I have had to replace it with a gas vehicle.

I’m looking to sell it to someone who is interested in fixing it, or using it for parts.

Its body is in in great shape, but as far as I can determine it needs new contactors. It currently does not charge at all post replacing the 12v battery so there is something else going on that I don’t know how to troubleshoot, but when it did charge the main battery held a charge up to 120 miles, with an average of 110. So it’s in good shape. It has its original drivetrain so that will likely need replacing sometime.

I know you all love this car and it would be an awesome car to have if you have the knowledge and time to fix it. Unfortunately I don’t.

I’m asking $6600 OBO. I paid $11K last December and got 2 months driving out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_5990.jpeg
    IMG_5990.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
For the benefit of prospective purchasers, consider to remove the speed sensor on the right side of the motor to determine if you've experienced seal leaks. If you have, the value goes down a bit. I was able to get US$5400 for a vehicle with a sporadic charging problem and leaky seals, from WeBuyAnyCar.com

Last month, I gave $3k for a vehicle in substantially the same condition (and it has a $4k LDU rebuild receipt from QCC within the past two years).

Unfortunately, you may have to take a larger loss than you've planned for. For example, this one for $7500, 81k miles, which has a $3k JDemo (DCFC) kit installed, and has no listed issues -- no repair needed (AFAWK).

Unless you're willing to investigate its issue(s) further, post diag. info from TPD, get an estimate for repairs, your best bet is to sell it to another unwitting buyer :( . Or cut your price to 40% of current, and even then . . .

The speed senser was pulled and was dry.
I looked into webuycars and it said they don’t tow and the closest one is Utah so I’d have to get more info.

I’m not very hopeful to sell it for what I listed but that’s what OBO is for.

Thanks for your help and apologies if I come off brusque. Losing so much as an unwitting buyer myself is no fun.

I looked into webuycars and it said they don’t tow and the closest one is Utah so I’d have to get more info.

Thanks for your help and apologies if I come off brusque. Losing so much as an unwitting buyer myself is no fun.
Estimate for contactor repair from earthling automotive in SF was $4K, but that is an unconfirmed diagnosis. The car was seen at Toyota of Berkeley and threw only a code that said something was wrong with my charger. They wouldn’t diagnose further and said their only course of action would be to replace the entire DU anyway. In lieu of that, they recommended I tow to their recommended mechanic in Petaluma. The Petaluma shop, having switched owners, ended up being a dead end because the new guy didn’t even own a Tesla diagnostic tool.

Does the car go into READY mode? If it does, your contactors are fine. Not charging is a separate issue, and likely a failure of one of the internal fuses.

The Tesla diagnostics software is now available for free (https://www.myrav4ev.com/threads/tesla-powertrain-diagnostics-tpd-v1-1-46.2602/post-30616), and Al Savage will sell you an interface cable at cost (https://www.myrav4ev.com/threads/tpd-diagnostic-cables-pre-assembled.2601/post-30615); all you need is a laptop to get more detailed diagnostics. I would suggest this might be a worthwhile path for you, to potentially get your RAV running again at a hopefully reasonable cost.

That's really good news for one small segment of the car. A dry speed sensor is a rare item, in my opinion.

When we sold our other Rav4EV to webuyanycar, I let the agent know it had a flaky OBC and leaky seals, but none of the paperwork we signed had any indication of either problem. That makes me think that the buyer of the vehicle, probably starting with an auction, followed by another dealer or a private owner is going to get shafted.

We still have one remaining to sell, once we're satisfied with the Volvo XC40 recently purchased but I'm going to ensure that the appropriate paperwork shows the leaky seals!

Last edited:
Y'all let me know if you part them out or want to ship them to Kentucky. I need a heater
I bought 2 brand new heaters from the guy on ebay. If you add the items to your watchlist you will get a reduced offer, there are lots of threads on using leaf or ford heaters. My 2013 is on its 4th heater - so I have several on the shelf

Back