Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I figured it was covered under Toyota care, I just wanted to make sure the EVs were given the same, or even better, treatment.

As for the remaining miles, knowing that... the battery definitely couldn't have been dead. And now you said the tech said it was charging. I bet it was that firmware upgrade.

TonyWilliams said:
Guys, it's a machine. A limited production one that nobody REALLY wanted to make. One that costs Toyota MILLIONS of dollars.
It's gunna break. If you are afraid of that, I definitely wouldn't buy one wherever you live. The good news is that it's unlikely that Toyota will not fix things.
I have no doubt whatsoever that Toyota will stand behind this car as long it is under warranty... or a Toyota ESP service contract. ;)

AvLegends said:
Talked to the service writer (who I have known for 15+ years) around 5 pm and he said the car was charging and would know more in the morning. The service tech has been in touch with both Toyota and Tesla and they are going over the trouble codes that were present.
So all they did was charge it? I'm trying to figure out what my dealer would do, without access to the Tesla tools, in order to get me back up and running.

amped up said:
AvLegends said:
Talked to the service writer (who I have known for 15+ years) around 5 pm and he said the car was charging and would know more in the morning. The service tech has been in touch with both Toyota and Tesla and they are going over the trouble codes that were present.
So all they did was charge it? I'm trying to figure out what my dealer would do, without access to the Tesla tools, in order to get me back up and running.
I will call today and hopefully find out more. I will report back...

Vach said:
ground_gainer said:
As an out of stater, this thread scares the crap out of me ; )

I live in California and it scares the crap out of me.

I understand the "out of state" concerns. As a new 2 month owner in Washington, I've already been through the "mental prep" of "what if?" But looking back at my Leaf purchase 2 years ago, I had the same "what if?" thought process prior to that purchase too. Now I have a "so what" attitude. I try to be more matter of fact when it comes to EV tech issues. I've accepted "the worst that can happen" for me and my Rav4. Ship to Sacramento for service while I rent a car for a few weeks. That's it... that's as bad as it can get. One to two grand out of pocket... But the Rav4EV is so superior, so outstanding at what it does, I gladly accept that risk. Whoa... stop right there hombre'... I think you're becoming too emotionally attached :oops:

Well, so much for worst case. How about reality. Tonight my local Toyota dealer invited me to a "new owner meet and greet". I didn't buy the car here, but they want my service business. They know it's an EV and they welcomed me. Very cool... and we all know my Rav4 Ev will be the best car on their lot.

Well I just got an update... the battery completely discharged itself while charging :eek:. The LO range indication was not a false indication of state of charge. They are charging now and in touch with the Toyota tech services people to further find why it did what it did.

Very weird. Almost sounds like your TMS went nuts, or maybe the heater ran for some weird reason, especially since you were using the level 1 EVSE. That or you were back feeding the house. Thanks for the update!

AvLegends said:
Well I just got an update... the battery completely discharged itself while charging :eek:. The LO range indication was not a false indication of state of charge. They are charging now and in touch with the Toyota tech services people to further find why it did what it did.

Damn. That's really annoying. I wonder if there was a malfunction in the inverter like I've heard with some FFEs. Thanks for the update. At least we know the software wasn't at fault... if that's any consultation.

amped up said:
Very weird. Almost sounds like your TMS went nuts, or maybe the heater ran for some weird reason, especially since you were using the level 1 EVSE. That or you were back feeding the house. Thanks for the update!
Yeah the display said "low battery temp and charge level". I thought that was unusual with the warm weather we were having the last couple days. The car is garaged as well and doesn't see cold overnight temps.

Well... talked to the service tech and they really don't know whats wrong. Toyota is talking to Tesla and Tesla is talking to Toyota and the dealership technician is in the middle. The tech is kinda frustrated with Tesla and said communication is somewhat limited as they don't want to give up some of their "secrets" :roll:.

I feel he is doing his best but my car is the first one in their shop with this kind of issue.

Today I started getting Entune charging email notifications and charge failures... checked the charge status on the phone and at one time it said it had 100+ miles and charging... then it showed LOW... charge immediately... then it showed 165 miles... At least the problem is present for them to diagnose. I'm thinking of going by tomorrow and making sure it's not sitting outside in the sun with a full 100% battery.

Looks like I might be driving the Avalon for a few more days!

Damn. This is exactly the kind of thing I feared from the Tesla collaboration. originally I was hesitant on getting my car because I didn't want there to be issues for service and getting the answers or parts they needed. Tesla not wanting to share the information or not have any information or the parts at the time.

Ah well, thanks again for the updates.

Had the same problem. I thought it was related to my toggling the extended-charge setting. I plugged the car in and it wouldn't charge. I unplugged/replugged and turned the car on and it went READY.

I was reticent to drive it to the airport the next day, but did anyway. It worked like a charm then and ever since.

NOTE: took it to dealer and they said they only had 2 EV techs, and they both left at 5:30, so the "in by 6:00 p.m. same-day
guarantee" didn't apply. Further, those tech don't seem to know that much about the car. They said Tesla answered most
of their questions during their training with "that's proprietary". :-(

Love the car!

I did go by again today and the service tech said that he is still waiting for Toyota and Tesla to get back to him. The car powers up and shows 165 miles range (I was assured it was not sitting at 100% charge) but the Check EV system still remains. He said the computers are not talking to one another. He thanked me for being so patient...

Enjoying the new Avalon more and more. The car gets amazing mileage for a sedan this large... averaging 38-39 mpg. Moves pretty good for a 4 cyl hybrid!

Discomforting to read all this chatter. Our RAV4EV has suffered the same fate, about 1,500 miles after purchase new. Sitting at San Rafael Toyota with their description of a dead Tesla computer, as yet unscheduled visit by the Tesla rep to be followed by unknown time period to obtain replacement computer. Maybe more, based on all I have read here. Curious as to how many of the 2,500 or 2,600 California market RAV4EVs are suffering this same fate.

TonyWilliams said:
Did they tell you that the computer needed to be replaced? Mine in the shop right now for both this problem and the heater issue.
Tony, what is wrong with your heater? How did you discover your heater has a problem in such a hot day?

swampy rav4ev said:
Curious as to how many of the 2,500 or 2,600 California market RAV4EVs are suffering this same fate.
LOL! 2500 or 2600?!?!? Their sales so far are WAY short of that.

That 2600 is supposed to be the total, over a 3 year period. Per http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97, as of end of April 2013, only 472 have been sold, so far.

OK. So perhaps half dozen or more different vehicles chatted about on this thread (I haven't read all yet). That is 1.3%. I'm guessing others in same boat not in this thread. So maybe 2-3%? Is that a reasonable error rate? I am by no means thrilled. Any repeats so far? I want to be thrilled with my EV which I otherwise am.

swampy rav4ev said:
Discomforting to read all this chatter. Our RAV4EV has suffered the same fate, about 1,500 miles after purchase new. Sitting at San Rafael Toyota with their description of a dead Tesla computer, as yet unscheduled visit by the Tesla rep to be followed by unknown time period to obtain replacement computer. Maybe more, based on all I have read here. Curious as to how many of the 2,500 or 2,600 California market RAV4EVs are suffering this same fate.
Mine has been in the shop 1 week today. The Toyota field engineer came by both last week and today but no luck. Now they are waiting for a visit from the Tesla engineering guys from the bay area to further check it out. I know the dealership service tech is doing all he can and now is at the mercy of Tesla. I know they are trying all options before starting to replace VERY EXPENSIVE parts.

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:
Did they tell you that the computer needed to be replaced? Mine in the shop right now for both this problem and the heater issue.
Tony, what is wrong with your heater? How did you discover your heater has a problem in such a hot day?

Well, we still have a cool ocean down here, so early mornings need a little heat. Plus, I want them to check for DTC codes after my "Check EV System" event.

Back