Toyota repaired your car? Check your connections.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevinL

My car was at Carson Toyota about two weeks ago for a drive unit replacement. I experienced frustration with mishandled appointments and long wait times to pickup and drop off service loaners (two Camrys, one of which was filthy inside and out). The biggest issue though was what fromport and I discovered over the weekend.

Carson had failed to properly reattach the 12V battery's negative cable to the terminal. They slid it on but never tightened any of the screws so it just slid right off. Additionally, underneath the car two high voltage cables connecting the drive unit to the battery pack were not reattached to the sidewall and their nuts were completely missing. The cables were left to dangle freely. I would encourage anyone who's had a drive unit replaced, or any other major work performed on their car, to please open the hood and check underneath for yourself. The 12V connection is particularly worrying since a disconnect there while driving could lead to complete loss of braking etc.

Here are the HV cables after we put them back on their mounting posts...

Did you follow up with Carson Toyota about this? If so, how was it handled? It seems so out of character for their EV guys who see more RAV4 EVs than anyone. I'll soon be having the drive unit replaced myself on our 2014 at Carson. Just under 36k miles. The clunking sound upon acceleration coming from front driver's side was verified by the tech to be abnormal and the parts have been ordered.

I did attempt to follow up with Carson about this. Last time I heard from them was when I received a voicemail form their customer experience manager last week. I tried to return his call but he didn't answer and didn't return my voicemail.

It appears as though there is no good Toyota dealership.

Back