Type of Built-in Communications Equipment

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eplantz

Does anyone know the type of communication gear used to communicate with Entunes???

Does it use AT&T?? Is it 2G, 3G or 4G????

is there a separate communication system to contact Tesla??? What are the specs????

Thanks

I believe the only cellular communications in the RAV4 EV are in the Tesla Gateway ECU. It contains an AT&T SIM card. I don't know what radio technology (2G/3G/4G) it uses. I would assume 3G since AT&T has known for a long time that it would shut down 2G, which has already started.

You think so? I would expect Tesla to have their own separate communication system from what Toyota/Entune uses. Entune/Safety Connect is used by other Toyota cars as well, so whatever communications module is used in cars like the Plug-in Prius is probably used in the Rav as well.

fooljoe said:
You think so? I would expect Tesla to have their own separate communication system from what Toyota/Entune uses. Entune/Safety Connect is used by other Toyota cars as well, so whatever communications module is used in cars like the Plug-in Prius is probably used in the Rav as well.

Yes, of course, the Entunes goes through a different connection than the Tesla / AT&T phone in the rear of the car.

i'm pretty sure it's AT&T since it just barely works at my house in the Mountains. Verizon and Tmobile dont work here *at all* (ie. within 10 miles), with AT&T you can kind-of-sometimes get a data connection (my auto-start generator has an AT&T card in it too, it only started working reliably in the last year when AT&T put up a new tower about 6 or 7 miles from here.

Shame you have to pay for a cellular data plan (Entune/SafetyConnect) just to access the car's pre-climate control feature. It'd be awesome to hack in a Wi-Fi antenna to the car, since I do 99% of my charging either at home in my garage or within range of my office's Wi-Fi. That's really all I need for flipping on pre-climate.

Back