Silver 2014 #2872

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to update on my 2012 RAV with 83K miles. Finished up the SS Cup coolant delete, went smoothly. I used a 1 1/4 " titanium Milwaukee drill bit to remove the coolant tube from manifold. Cleaned it up with sandpaper on a dremel tool. Pressed the SS cup with vice, 2x4 piece of wood had layed both SS and manifold with Purmatex sleeve sealant green and very viscous. I pressed the SS into the manifold it went in very tight and I left it to dry overnight. I should have photo'd it but just like the above very clean and it caps off the coolant tube path easily leaving both original paths to the Stator jacket but also up to the flyover tube which I believe is better to have going than capped off. I replaced the manifold using two circles of black silicone gasket around the round portion and lower square area of manifold. As well I applied silicone grease to the two gaskets on flyover and lower stator path. Let this dry for another 24 hours.

Second process was to refill with Zerex G48 took about 1/2 gallon. I tried to burp the system of air then went to drive the vehicle. Oh Know I got the following error message 10 minutes into driving 45 mph. Dropped back to this super useful forum and decided I had either learn the Toyota method or get a Coolant Vacuum kit. I did the latter getting a loaner Coolant Vacuum from O'Reillys. It worked great sucking the air from the system and then taking in another 1/4 gallon of coolant.

Car worked with no error after I removed the air from the system. To note I tried also to charge the car with the error and it immediately stopped charging and left a system error charging malfunction on right side screen on dash. After the vacuum pull of air out of coolant path that error immediately went away and I was then able to charge the car successfully. Then I went on a drive and car worked perfectly!!!

Its been a few days the car has been a daily driver all over town and up to freeway speeds. So far everything seems to be working flawlessly!!! Want to thank the forum and the SS Cap from Mr Hyde at Armstrong Mobile Lift for the awesome and inexpensive fix to the coolant leaking shaft seal problem. Ours has its original motor with 83K miles going strong!! Hoping to get another 80K out of it trouble free. The Model S is up next not looking forward to dropping its motor.

Steve
2012 Toyota Rav 88K
2013 Tesla Model S P85+ 36K

Attachments

• PXL_20240627_215053881.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240627_215053881.MP.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 1
Thanks for your work!!! Indeed keeping these great vehicles on the road longer. Orphan vehicles which neither Toyota or Tesla have any interest in!! And thanks for everyone involved in the FIX it works great!!! at repairing the Tesla mistake.

Steve
12 Rav Pearl White 83K
13 Tesla Model S P85+ Black
67 VW Bug original

How long did the whole repair take? I've been considering either trying this myself or asking a local shop if they'd be willing to attempt.

Depending upon the tools you have available to cut the taper tube off the manifold and grind down to the base casting, you could do this in a day yourself pretty easily. The sleeve/bearing mount compound really ought to have overnight to do its anaerobic thing, but you could reassemble it and wait overnight to add coolant the next day.

On the RAV4 it's easy. On a Model S/X . . . much harder.

Back