RAV EV suspension

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningmay

A question regarding the RAV EV suspension: Which specific ICE version does the RAV EV get its suspension from. I believe there is a sporty RAV 4 which might have a stiffer and more responsive suspension setup. I did a pretty long test drive before I leased the EV, and knew what I was getting in to....and I am not unhappy with it either. It is what it is....but do wonder if a different strut/shock/wheel/tire setup could make the ride sportier.

What ye think?

Not sure about our second generation models, but the first generation RAV4 EV had a bespoke suspension to support the added weight of the battery pack. Pretty common for conversion cars. The Ranger EV, Civic GX, and I think the Escape Hybrid had different suspensions than their ICE equivalents.

From what I gather, the RAV4 EV has model specific springs as it's quite a bit heavier than any other variant.

When you say sportier, what quality are you looking for exactly?

Personally, I find the ride overly firm and spring rate rather high for a general purpose SUV (this coming from someone that daily drives a car that hangs its engine out back). Some people equate that to sporty. I don't find that it has much roll, squat, or dive given the high spring rates, low center of gravity, and modest traction. Entering corners too quickly and the front axle gives up grip readily, killing any fun. To me, that is when the heavy battery makes itself the most known as the car hides its weight well otherwise with its instantaneous torque response. Understeer is the predominant chassis attitude.

If you are looking for more handling, I would focus on the tires first. More spring rate or dampening won't produce more traction given the modest grip the tires are capable of.

I would fit a GT or summer oriented tire, perhaps even slightly wider and lower profile than the stock size. This will give the benefit of more cornering traction and slightly better gearing for more acceleration. The stock size is a 225/65/17 on a 17x7" wheel. A 235/60/17 would fit perfectly and go a long ways to giving you more traction for sporting fun.

Albeit at a slight cost to range and efficiency. No big deal in my mind as it's still hugely efficient over anything else comparable.

I actually like the suspension.

I took the Rav offroading and dirt roading last weekend and it rallied across dirt roads that are full of bumps that violently shake and rattle any car I've ever had. The rav suspension ate the bumps up silently with almost no detectable vibration. I couldn't believe it nor could my dad who had driven these back country roads thousands of times on a variety of different cars and trucks.

The suspension seems well balanced for on road and off road. I wouldnt think of messing with mine.

Glad to know the RAV works well on unimproved roads. Though I do find it funny that a good off road ride suggests that the RAV suspension might be sporty? Only cause performance on-road vs off-road usually has diametric qualities.

Which is why I ask the OP what sporting quality he's looking for.

It's custom. I met the engineer who designed the suspension last year at an electric car meetup here in Phoenix and he drove one of the RAV beta models to the show.

DevinL said:
Not sure about our second generation models, but the first generation RAV4 EV had a bespoke suspension to support the added weight of the battery pack. Pretty common for conversion cars. The Ranger EV, Civic GX, and I think the Escape Hybrid had different suspensions than their ICE equivalents.

I ought to explain myself a little here. I drove an X5 for the last three years. Now I know its not apples to apples comparison...but that is my comparison...and given that I got the then brand new X5 @ 51k it is a fair comparison.

The other cars that I drove before the X5 were a 2004 Acura TL and a 2005 Infiniti G35X. All the above vehicles (I know the RAV is not a sport sedan) I felt a lot more confident (irrespective of the brand and status of the tires) while making a sharp corner, going over sharp bumps (X5) and changing lanes.

I ought to explain myself a little here. I drove an X5 for the last three years. Now I know its not apples to apples comparison...but that is my comparison...and given that I got the then brand new X5 @ 51k it is a fair comparison.

The other cars that I drove before the X5 were a 2004 Acura TL and a 2005 Infiniti G35X. All the above vehicles (I know the RAV is not a sport sedan) I felt a lot more confident (irrespective of the brand and status of the tires) while making a sharp corner, going over sharp bumps (X5) and changing lanes.

There's no perfect car out there. You have to pick what works better for you. It would be nice if it handled like a BMW but it's a Toyota.

I hear the Tesla Model S handles pretty well.

You could look at the ICE rav 4 forums for stiffer sway bars, urethane bushings and aftermarket struts. Cornering is most affected by the vehicle leaning-sway bars will help that.

Lowering springs, even adjustable coil over race shocks should be possible. Just be aware that it takes some expertise to get a comfortable setup that rides well. That's really what separates the luxury sport sedans from the rest of the pack

Also, the bimmer is rwd or rear biased awd. There's no way a fwd electric car will match the handling.

The next time you see a modified civic, watch it bounce over every bump...I'll stick with the stock setup

Btw, I have bilsteins in my 4runner. That did improve the ride over stock

Thanks for giving us a perspective of where you are coming from.

The RAV4 has econocar roots of a simple strut based suspension. It's not going to measure up to the dynamic qualities of any of your previous rides.

That said, it doesn't mean it can't be made better. Hopefully with minimal trade-offs. I've toyed with many cars in my years, having tracked many of them with modified coilovers, revised suspension geometry, arms, etc.

I'd re-iterate that the best thing you can do is to shod it with more performance oriented tires. This will go a long long ways to getting more grip and handling performance all around - even at the stock tire sizes. Though widening and going lower profile as I suggested would surely improve on that one more step again, with more acceleration to boot cause of slightly better overall gearing. Very little trade-off with either suggestion here.

The next step would be to source a stiffer rear anti-roll bar. This will attempt to dial out a lot of understeer present in the suspension tuning. Though I would do this only after assessing how the chassis likes the added traction from the steps above. Again, minimal if any trade-off here.

You can find some performance in alignment as well. The RAV likely doesn't have much if any camber dialed in, which is why it probably gives up front end traction so easily. Though many strut based case don't have any provisions to dial in more camber so this may not even be a possibility.

I wouldn't look to aftermarket springs/shocks first though as IMO, there's plenty of spring rate and dampening already.

TeCKis300 said:
Thanks for giving us a perspective of where you are coming from.

The RAV4 has econocar roots of a simple strut based suspension. It's not going to measure up to the dynamic qualities of any of your previous rides.

That said, it doesn't mean it can't be made better. Hopefully with minimal trade-offs. I've toyed with many cars in my years, having tracked many of them with modified coilovers, revised suspension geometry, arms, etc.

I'd re-iterate that the best thing you can do is to shod it with more performance oriented tires. This will go a long long ways to getting more grip and handling performance all around - even at the stock tire sizes. Though widening and going lower profile as I suggested would surely improve on that one more step again, with more acceleration to boot cause of slightly better overall gearing. Very little trade-off with either suggestion here.

The next step would be to source a stiffer rear anti-roll bar. This will attempt to dial out a lot of over steer present in the suspension tuning. Though I would due this only after assessing how the chassis likes the added traction from the steps above. Again, minimal if any trade-off here.

You can find some performance in alignment as well. The RAV likely doesn't have much if any camber dialed in, which is why it probably gives up front end traction so easily. Though many strut based case don't have any provisions to dial in more camber so this may not even be a possibility.

I wouldn't look to aftermarket springs/shocks first though as IMO, there's plenty of spring rate and dampening already.

Thanks for the insightful response. I know it will never be a BMW...and that's not my goal either. Which tires would you recommend?

Tires are a pretty personal choice depending on your individual preferences, climate, etc. There aren't too many performance oriented tires sizes that fit the RAV though. Though at least if your stock tires are still in good shape, they can easily be sold on craigslist as it's such a common size.

The stock fitment are Yokohama Geolandar G91A in 225/65R17, which is considered a light truck highway all-season tire. No real outstanding qualities in handling, nor in tire wear or economy. Just run of the mill donuts (read as taxi-cab tire).

I'd recommend something in the Grand Touring spectrum of tires. They are typically spec'd for performance luxury cars so they still maintain a great balance or ride/noise/wear with better handling all around. I'd even go so far as to say they would be superior in all qualities to the current Geo's we have fitted.

These two are well rated:
Michelin Primacy MXV4 - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXV4&partnum=36TR7MXV4P
BFGoodrich Advantage T/A - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Advantage+T/A&partnum=36TR7ATA

TeCKis300 said:
Tires are a pretty personal choice depending on your individual preferences, climate, etc. There aren't too many performance oriented tires sizes that fit the RAV though. Though at least if your stock tires are still in good shape, they can easily be sold on craigslist as it's such a common size.

The stock fitment are Yokohama Geolandar G91A in 225/65R17, which is considered a light truck highway all-season tire. No real outstanding qualities in handling, nor in tire wear or economy. Just run of the mill donuts (read as taxi-cab tire).

I'd recommend something in the Grand Touring spectrum of tires. They are typically spec'd for performance luxury cars so they still maintain a great balance or ride/noise/wear with better handling all around. I'd even go so far as to say they would be superior in all qualities to the current Geo's we have fitted.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXV4&partnum=36TR7MXV4P
BFGoodrich Advantage T/A - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Advantage+T/A&partnum=36TR7ATA

When I switched on my leaf from the Bridgestone Ecopia's to the Michelin MXV4 I experienced the following:
-less road noise
-better grip when cornering
-8 to 10% less efficient energy wise.
-less wear than the stock Ecopia's, but that is to expect compared to first fit.

How would you compare this one
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=Dueler+H/L+422+Ecopia&partnum=265HR7HL422
to the Michelin MXV4 ?

fromport said:

I personally haven't used either. Based on their categories (i.e. MXV4 - Grand Touring vs. Dueler - SUV Touring), the MXV4 is likely to have an edge in handling/traction. Their relative treadwear ratings (MXV4 - 500 vs Dueler - 640), might also suggests the traction advantage towards the MXV4.

Rolling resistance vs traction are typically diametric qualities. I believe you did lose efficiency in the Leaf, but I wouldn't expect as much loss on the RAV given that the stock Geolanders not being exactly eco-focus'd either.

All strong choices to the Geo's IMO. Just depends on which balance of qualities you're looking for.

Let's just say you decided to cut the springs and drop the car down by about 3 inches. Would that much drop in height create any noticeable improvements in range? I'd assume that reducing the frontal profile might mean you're pushing less air at highway speeds but I'm curious as to what gains might be available. Also, in regards to performance I'd say the suspension is actually pretty good in terms of not being too soft or too hard but sway bars would be a good improvement. Even with a low center of gravity this thing rolls more than I'd like.

fromport said:
TeCKis300 said:

When I switched on my leaf from the Bridgestone Ecopia's to the Michelin MXV4 I experienced the following:
-less road noise
-better grip when cornering
-8 to 10% less efficient energy wise.
-less wear than the stock Ecopia's, but that is to expect compared to first fit.

How would you compare this one
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=Dueler+H/L+422+Ecopia&partnum=265HR7HL422
to the Michelin MXV4 ?

I had the MXV4 on my LEAF and now the Duelers, They have more traction and have been wearing well and they are very efficient.

Back