EV+PV - Who Has It?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeCKis300

So in part of restructuring my families energy usage with the RAV4 EV, we've also pulled the trigger on getting a photovoltaic (PV) solar array installed on our home. We will be getting a modest 4.5kW solar array installed in the coming month or two. The idea is to stabilize and control the annual outlay for energy costs between the home and car. And once amortized in roughly 6.5 years, we'll be reaping the benefits of free energy while energy costs continue to climb.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has a PV solar system installed and what has been your experience?

Not yet, but I'm right behind you. I have contracted with Petersen Dean, a local roofing company, that does solar installations as well. All permits and PG&E work will be included in the P&D purchase, and I also get the 30% federal tax credit. The total cost BEFORE tax credit will be $10.5k, or $3.65/watt for a 3.0kW system consisting of 12, 250W PV panels made by Canadian Solar, and an equal number of Enphase Energy M215 microintverters. Peak AC production should be ~2.6kW. To monitor this system, I also bought an Envoy Gateway based on PLC. This is used with a free lifetime subscription to the Enphase Enlighten web based monitoring system.

http://enphase.com/products/enlighten/

The plan is to do the roof install in two co-planar groups of 6 panels each on my two story residence with a Southwestern facing roof, totally unobstructed, with a 18 degree pitch. Should be great for Summertime production. I look forward to having this system installed in another couple of weeks, hopefully when the weather is trending toward clear, sunny days as Spring approaches.

With PG&E's Net Energy Metering (NEM) for PV residential customers, together with my current E-9A special EV rate plan, I should be close to a net zero electricity consumption annually even with two EVs to keep charged in the household.

Btw, here's one of the better website based solar calculators for helping to figure out all the financial aspects of a PV solar roof installation.

http://www.solar-estimate.org/index.php?page=rightforme&subpage=submitdata&type=electric&perwatt=3.68&fueltype=0&kwhmonth=417&energypercent=43&utilityid=291&action=updateassumptions&perwatt=3.69&energypercent=43&energypercent_prior=43&costkwh=0.1&kwhmonth=417&kwhmonth_prior=417&utilityinflation_display=5&fit=0&no_utility_tax_effects=0&itc_net=0&cftaxrate=28&cstaxrate=7.7&loanpercent=0&loaninterest=6.5&loanyears=30

Good luck with your PV install and CONGRATS!!! :mrgreen:

YES!!

Installed 3KW of solar in 2001 and installed 2002 Rav4EV in June. In 2003 I added 2.2KW solar for the car for a total of 5.2KW solar, solar came first grand fathered to E7 rate.

My yearly trueup varies from +$186 to -$40 always try to make sure I use up all the credits and not give any to PG&E.

Properly sized PV+EV= nothing but s(miles).

=D~~ Brandy

I have 35 SunPower 228w panels with 35 Enphase micro inverters, total 8kW DC / 6.7kW AC.

Enphase Solar link

http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Ukwf22392

My house needs are 100%.

For the EV, I use a sub meter from San Diego Gas & Electric at 7.7 cents "super off peak" between midnight and 5am.

My electric bills for the car are typically $50 monthly.

Good to hear of another that was able to get solid pricing for a new system DSinned.

Before my purchase, I was honestly considering installing a system myself. Partly for the challenge, but also because I was hearing installed prices of $5.50+/watt. Pricing beyond what I consider as a sound investment.

I was able to get a system for $3.41/watt. This is taking advantage of the now expired CA incentive, but before the federal 30% incentive. This is for 18x 250W Benq/AUO monocrystalline panels with integrated Solarbridge microinverters. I attribute part of the good pricing to having an ideal and straightforward install situation, with plenty of south facing unobstructed roofline on a single story home.

The system is estimated to produce about ~7000 kWh annually which will hopefully cover 80% of our anticipated home and vehicle usage. I may expand more in the future, but the idea was to maximize ROI by eliminating all but tier 1 usage.

Tony, I’ve been looking at rate schedules and no where do I see 7 cent super off peak rates. I wonder if you are grandfathered into some previous rate plan? The only rates I see are 14 cent for super off peak under the TOU rate plans.

TeCKis300 said:
Tony, I’ve been looking at rate schedules and no where do I see 7 cent super off peak rates. I wonder if you are grandfathered into some previous rate plan? The only rates I see are 14 cent for super off peak under the TOU rate plans.

There are three rate under EV-TOU - X, Y, and Z

They are/were randomly assigned. You may get any of the three, but I just happened to get the lowest.

waidy said:
I have a 25kW system with battery backup. I have 3 EVs. I get money back from PG&E on yearly tune-up (I produce more than I consume). Here is the details of my PV system with battery backup (includes spec and wiring diagram).

Wow, what a place and what a system!

We have a RAV4 coming, but not quite here yet. We do, however, already have a solar system installed. Our system is 15.4kW, 66 Sunpower e18/230's with two Sunnyboy inverters, grid-tied. We overproduced enough for a second electric car, so we will soon have a Volt and RAV4 in the garage, saying goodbye to the Leaf. We plan to replace the Volt with a Tesla at the end of our 3-year lease. Since we installed our PV system in mid-May we've produced 19,870kWh, with an expected production of 25K/year.

Hi Waidy. OMG!!! You have an extremely impressive system! I nominate YOU for the Rav4 EV forum's "going green" Good Citizen of the Year Award!

How does your new RAV4 EV compare with the old car you still own?

Dsinned said:
How does your new RAV4 EV compare with the old car you still own?
Here is my miles/kWh (your milage may varies):

• 2002 Rav4EV 4.6 miles/kWh, 126,346 miles driven in original battery pack, range is 100-120 miles (yes, in a 10 years old 27.4 kWh NiMH battery pack)
  • 2012 Rav4EV 5.1 miles/kWh
  • 2011 LEAF 5.7 miles/kWh
  • 2012 Model S 3.1 miles/kWh [part of the reason why this is so low is "psychological". In the driver's mind: "oh, i have lots of free energy and don't have to worry about range; and WOW the S is cool and fast."]

I drive hypermiling.

Dsinned said:
waidy said:
  • 2012 Rav4EV 5.1 miles/kWh

I drive hypermiling.

I'd say "super" hypermiling! Also very impressive! That is about 1.5 miles/kWh better than the best of us. How is that possible?
Don't laugh (although I know you are laughing..): I watch the power meter (left on the dash board) when I drive. I try not to get it to exceed ~33% when I accelerate. Also, I put the gear in N a lot, especially when I am going downhill and on the freeway

Dang, you guys have some serious PV arrays going on. Any clue how much annual electricity consumption you have for the house and car independently?

Based on my historical usage, I'm looking at approximately 7500 kWh for the house annually that's right under 4k sq ft. Fortunately my house is relatively efficient in terms insulation and in San Diego which has fairly mild climate. But I always thought I was a big energy user in terms of computers/electronics/lighting. But then again, it's mostly A/C usage that would drive up energy usage and I only run my A/C about 8 weeks out of the year.

I'm anticipating driving roughly 15k miles a year on the RAV4. Would it be reasonable to assume roughly 3 miles/kWh after charging loses? So 15k/3 = ~5000kWh annually consumed by the RAV?

Which puts me at 7500 + 5000 = 12500 kWh annually.

TeCKis300 said:
Dang, you guys have some serious PV arrays going on. Any clue how much annual electricity consumption you have for the house and car independently?

Based on my historical usage, I'm looking at approximately 7500 kWh for the house annually that's right under 4k sq ft. Fortunately my house is relatively efficient in terms insulation and in San Diego which has fairly mild climate. But I always thought I was a big energy user in terms of computers/electronics/lighting. But then again, it's mostly A/C usage that would drive up energy usage and I only run my A/C about 8 weeks out of the year.

I'm anticipating driving roughly 15k miles a year on the RAV4. Would it be reasonable to assume roughly 3 miles/kWh after charging loses? So 15k/3 = ~5000kWh annually consumed by the RAV?

Which puts me at 7500 + 5000 = 12500 kWh annually.
My production is around 43MWh/year, my PG&E yearly tune-up said I gave back 14.5MWh. Therefore, my consumption is 28.5MWh/yr. I don't use gas in my house, everything is powered by no-fossil-electricity (even my heat pump and water heater). Because I am a net energy producer, I never have a need to watch what time of the day I do laundry, EV charging, etc. I am on E7 rate plan, which mean nothing to me.

waidy said:
....Therefore, my consumption is 28.5MWh/yr....
I feel like I should give more explanation because I don't want you guys/gals to think I am a power-hogger. I have 3 buildings on my property. The main house is 3 times bigger than TeCKis300's; and it has a server room, and hydraulic room, etc. etc. etc., So, please think of me as a tree-hugger, not power hogger.

TeCKis300 said:
Any clue how much annual electricity consumption you have for the house and car independently?
Sorry that I sound like a broken record. I neglect to answer one of your question. According to my TED (The Energy Detector), my EV charging at home in the past 12 months is 4946 kWh.

waidy said:
waidy said:
....Therefore, my consumption is 28.5MWh/yr....
I feel like I should give more explanation because I don't want you guys/gals to think I am a power-hogger. I have 3 buildings on my property. The main house is 3 times bigger than TeCKis300's; and it has a server room, and hydraulic room, etc. etc. etc., So, please think of me as a tree-hugger, not power hogger.

That more than helps me understand. Thanks for that. Considering how much square footage you're covering, the server farm, and relying completely on electricity (vs my mixed gas and electric usage as in my case), you're doing very well.

waidy said:
TeCKis300 said:
Any clue how much annual electricity consumption you have for the house and car independently?
Sorry that I sound like a broken record. I neglect to answer one of your question. According to my TED (The Energy Detector), my EV charging at home in the past 12 months is 4946 kWh.

I'm still trying to figure out if 5000 kWh is a good estimate for 15k miles annually. The solar system I'm installing is still in it's early phases where I can add additional panels if need be. Though I'm not trying to completely cover my use, just making sure I stay out of anything but tier 1 pricing.

TeCKis300 said:
waidy said:
TeCKis300 said:

I'm still trying to figure out if 5000 kWh is a good estimate for 15k miles annually. The solar system I'm installing is still in it's early phases where I can add additional panels if need be. Though I'm not trying to completely cover my use, just making sure I stay out of anything but tier 1 pricing.
Usually, if your employer provide EV charging, you should estimate 50%-70% of your charging at home. In another words, your 5MWh/yr estimate of EV charging is more then sufficient, if you charge your EV at work.

That's a good point. My employer does offer charging, but this is my wife's car and her employer does not. Perhaps we should sit down the principle at her elementary school to install an EV charger :lol:

Btw, I think you mean kilo-watt-hours for all your annual numbers?

Back