Should we sell our 2012 RAV4EV, almost 90k miles ?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVnewbie

We have had our RAV4 EV vin#1270 since moving to CA in 2013. Owned since new, bought from Dianne at Carson Toyota. We have never had any of the problems I've heard about on this forum besides the Check Engine light once which turned out to be a bad 12V battery. We love this car, but are deciding if we should sell at this point. My daughter starts driving soon and this thing is getting up there in age. I wasn't on the forum when people were talking about getting extended/Platinum warranties since we've never had any issues, though it seems to me if an issue comes up, it's a pretty expensive fix. What is this car even worth now?

We have a 2012 that we've owned for 3 years. We got it with 89k miles and it now has 120k+ miles. We get that warning about needing to take it back to the dealership every few starts but we just stop and start it again and it keeps on going. I hope you kept yours, they are definitely solid vehicles!

It depends on if you care about the money. If you need the money then yes. If you don’t, then run it into the ground.

I love this car but I always tell people it’s a throw away car. I live outside of California and when they break, they are pretty much unfixable.

I'm driving mine until the doors fall off or the battery gives up.
Our batteries are doing pretty well, but only 41K on the odo. I wasn't aware that doors could be a problem, but no sign of trouble there. The one with the coolant seeping into the motor has to last only five more months, as we don't have a viable repair/service path at present.

You have to be pretty dedicated, or have good resources, to repair some of the common ills of this orphan, which include:

* LDU internal coolant leak (which ruins inverter board/harness eventually if left unaddressed). Resealing (seal replacement) has not been a long-term fix for the LDUs on Model S, so "coolant delete" manifolds have been installed on recent Tesla LDU rebuilds -- from Tesla!! -- and an aftermarket one is being marketed by QCC, but no field reports are available yet.

* OBC failure (sometimes requires only fuses replacement, sometimes have to replace entire unit with one from an early Model S and swap control board with old one, or reflash the Model S' using TPD. ~12 hours labor to access fuses). Parts cost is relatively cheap but labor is relatively high, unless you DIY.

* Cabin heater failure (replace with an early Leaf (etc.) heater and minor wire splicing; often also requires a fuse replacement inside the DC-DC Converter, which has a glued-on cover, but is easy to R&R otherwise; all parts are right up on top so easy access and little labor involved)

* HV Battery contactor(s) failure (requires removing the ~900 lb HV battery to access the contactors, which is best accomplished using a car lift, but can be done on a flat surface with lots of fiddling. Removing/reinstalling the battery case's lid is not for the faint of heart, and is best removed using a special-order multimaster bit on a oscillating tool (see this YT vid for more info)(I own the original Fein Multimaster, and have recently acquired the special bit). This is probably one of the most challenging repair jobs, due to the labor to R&R the battery, and to R&R the cover, which is fairly fragile and has to be re-used.

---

On my '14, the LDU was replaced for noise in 2018 and is probably due for a Coolant Delete upgrade soon. My OBC was replaced under warranty before 2017, and I replaced the fuses due to one failed, in Apr2023. The Cabin Heater & DC-DC was replaced under warranty in 2019, but I'd repair them myself if they fail again. And, my HV battery assy. was replaced in 2019 under warranty due to a stuck contactor a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Our batteries are doing pretty well, but only 41K on the odo. I wasn't aware that doors could be a problem, but no sign of trouble there. The one with the coolant seeping into the motor has to last only five more months, as we don't have a viable repair/service path at present.
It’s a figure of speech. Drive it until a repair is impossible or illogical for you.

I want to get one but I’m up in Canada so it would have to be the best I can find for the least money. Shipping is a killer. But if it still had the ability to drive 85 miles at 60 mph I could pick it up just south of the border and drive it home. Spending 10,000 on something that could breakdown to useless anytime seems foolish.

if it still had the ability to drive 85 miles at 60 mph I could pick it up just south of the border and drive it home.
You might be able to do that with a 10-year-old RAV4 EV if you can forgo all heat and accelerate very conservatively. Otherwise, that is optimistic, IMO.

75 mi., or 50 MPH is a safe bet. But 85 mi. @ 60 MPH? That's a maybe. And you can't take the seller's word for the state of health of the battery. Upon 12v disconnect for a time, the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) loses its history and resets, making the initial range estimate upon 12v re-connection wildly optimistic and not to be relied upon. A trick that sellers of this EV know and use.

It’s a figure of speech. Drive it until a repair is impossible or illogical for you.

I want to get one but I’m up in Canada so it would have to be the best I can find for the least money. Shipping is a killer. But if it still had the ability to drive 85 miles at 60 mph I could pick it up just south of the border and drive it home. Spending 10,000 on something that could breakdown to useless anytime seems foolish.
super easy to trailer one of these. I trailered mine down to San Diego (from northern california) twice to get it to Tony's shop.
You just need a car trailer (or rent one).

Trailering across the border to Canada isn't going to happen with a rental car trailer :/ And you need a tow vehicle suitable for trailering ~5,000 lbs (or, again, rent one).

I paid a hauler to take mine from Seattle to Sacramento area for $900 for the battery replacement warranty; all things considered, it was cheaper than me doing it myself, even though I own a car dolly! Considering time off work, etc. And I didn't have an international border to contend with.

Easy is easy . . . if you have the time & resources. But these are all costs.

We have a 2012 that we've owned for 3 years. We got it with 89k miles and it now has 120k+ miles. We get that warning about needing to take it back to the dealership every few starts but we just stop and start it again and it keeps on going. I hope you kept yours, they are definitely solid vehicles!
Just a suggestion I have 2 now and had 4 altogether. I was having the same problem with take it to the dealership.
What I found out was the 12 volt battery was dying and really didn't find out till a detailer left the door lights on and it went dead(battery).
Anyway had the battery tested and said replacement.
I put in the new battery and the car is like new.

Just a thought, I have 3 gem cars and similar things happen and new 12 volt battery and it was like new again.

super easy to trailer one of these. I trailered mine down to San Diego (from northern california) twice to get it to Tony's shop.
You just need a car trailer (or rent one).
I would think just the cost of driving my Tundra down there then towing it back would probably equal or be greater than shipping cost. It’s about 4000 miles round trip.
Cost being accommodations food fuel insurance and dolly rental or purchase. Time off work would also be another factor. But I’m near retirement so I kinda don’t care about that. It’s just that the bosses don’t like me not working. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hi. Im selling mine. Im in Vancouver. Let me know if interested. Tks

Hi. Im in canada too selling my 2014 Rav4 EV. Let me know if interested.

I understand your situation and can help you with some information to make an informed decision about your RAV4 EV. Here's what I can offer:

Estimated value of your RAV4 EV:

Unfortunately, I cannot provide an exact value for your car without more information. However, I can offer some resources and insights to help you estimate its value:

By carefully considering these factors and the information provided, you can make an informed decision about whether to sell your RAV4 EV or keep enjoying it for years to come.
This list completely ignores the features of BEVs :(

This list completely ignores the features of BEVs :(
At 2500+/- units they can’t ever provide a value. They are in between a disposable and low end collector car. Disposable cars have a value of their weight in scrap metal and anything more that a wrecking yard will pay for them. Low end collector car is generally not of much interest to most but has a small niche market that has interest in having something different than most. Like a stock 4 door AMC from the 60’s

I understand your situation and can help you with some information to make an informed decision about your RAV4 EV. Here's what I can offer:

Estimated value of your RAV4 EV:

Unfortunately, I cannot provide an exact value for your car without more information. However, I can offer some resources and insights to help you estimate its value:

• Kelley Blue Book (KBB): Enter your car's details on the KBB website to get an estimated trade-in value, retail value, and private sale value.
  • Edmunds: Similar to KBB, Edmunds provides car valuation tools based on mileage, condition, and location.
  • Used car websites: Browse listings for similar RAV4 EVs on platforms like Autotrader, resturanut chair CarMax, or Cars.com to see what similar models are selling for.

Factors affecting your car's value:

• Mileage: Lower mileage generally translates to higher value.
  • Condition: Any cosmetic or mechanical issues will impact the value.
  • Battery health: The battery's health is crucial for an EV, and potential replacement costs can affect value.
  • Market demand: Demand for used RAV4 EVs is currently high, potentially boosting the value.

Extended warranty:

Given your car's age and potential upcoming repairs, an extended warranty might be worth considering for peace of mind. However, weigh the cost of the warranty against the likelihood of needing repairs and their potential cost. Consider the car's overall condition and your risk tolerance when making this decision.

Decision on selling:

Ultimately, the decision to sell your RAV4 EV depends on your personal circumstances and priorities. Consider factors like:

• Daughter's driving needs: Will the RAV4 EV meet her needs and preferences?
  • Reliability concerns: Are you comfortable with the potential for age-related repairs?
  • Financial considerations: Would selling free up funds for another car or other needs?
  • Emotional attachment: How much do you value and enjoy owning the RAV4 EV?

By carefully considering these factors and the information provided, you can make an informed decision about whether to sell your RAV4 EV or keep enjoying it for years to come.
Irfom, are you, or are you using, a large language model?

At 2500+/- units they can’t ever provide a value. They are in between a disposable and low end collector car. Disposable cars have a value of their weight in scrap metal and anything more that a wrecking yard will pay for them. Low end collector car is generally not of much interest to most but has a small niche market that has interest in having something different than most. Like a stock 4 door AMC from the 60’s
1. The quality of a vehicles and its performance properties are not determined by the number* of the same model sold (QEA38).
2. RAV4EV uses the basic design of the RAV4, which is implanted with Tesla's powertrain and charge system from the Tesla Model S.
3. The RAV4EV was created only to meet EPA emissions requirements for the total number of vehicles of one brand.
IMG_20240210_192815_740.jpg
*Note. Tesla has seen a significant increase in sales, but reliability levels are below baseboard level (below apartment floor level).

Back