Bought a dying RAV4

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacemonkey43

I recently won the Rav4 EV that went up for auction here https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rNjGBWVG/2014-toyota-rav4-ev

Turns out it was throwing up the P312F error code while the seller had it, but only when he "started driving the car before it completed its system check" and shutting off the electric motor and power steering. He would clear the code and it would work just fine for him again. The 'Check EV System" was displayed from the moment I took possession (I had it shipped) and it stopped working later that day. My local dealerships OBDII scanner couldn't even read the Toyota computer apparently, after I had it towed there, but the problem seemed to completely clear on its own after the Toyota dealer tech power cycled the car. I then drove to O' Rileys to see if I could at least get the code read so I could start looking for answers. Their scanner also could not read the Toyota computer sand I didn't take it to a shop because this was all happening Friday evening with the car still being marginally drivable. It did throw up the code at a stop light between the dealership and the repair shop but I think I used the emergency engine start to get it working again. I'm honestly not sure why it sometimes clears the code on it's own... I was able to drive it home without issue and ordered an OBDII scanner myself. I later ordered the dongle to read the Tesla computer later that weekend.

My OBDII has no trouble reading the Toyota side and I can make reports out of the codes it reads so I now have a history of every code that comes up, and every code I clear. I have only had one other successful drive around the block once at this point and I will have had possession now for a week. I was able to check the speed sensor in the motor and it is wet. Yesterday when I turned it on after putting the sensor back on, it coded again, but with a new one in addition to the standard P312F, C1259 EV Contral System Regenerative Malfunction. The batteries currently have a charge so it's not completely dead yet, but I can't afford to fix it. If it were a normal transaction with a dealership then I should be able to send it back and get my money refunded, but it doesn't look like I can because it's on an auction site. There's no way I can try to sell it and get anything near what I paid either...

I cannot tell y'all how happy I was to get this car, but the pain of it being this damaged... Plus there could be more wrong that I won't be able to find out until I get the other scanner. idk what to do.

Take a trip to the Rav4EV forum and look for posts from aflash and others. We have a pair of these vehicles and are aiming to replace them with an XC40 Recharge in a couple of months. User aflash is in Ukraine and has the ability to connect to the Tesla computer in the back panel of the Rav4EV to provide diagnostics.

It's not encouraging to learn that your speed sensor is wet, and it's not out of the question that coolant has reached the inverter circuitry, which would represent a total loss, from my understanding.

With the Tesla/Toyota mix, if the Tesla throws a code and it's cleared from the Toyota side, it will return on a consistent basis.

It's unfortunate that you purchased from an unethical seller with no recourse.

EDIT: For some reason, I thought this was posted to the Volvo forum, hence my suggestion to visit this one is an error. At least it's drawn the attention of the right person!

Last edited:
The easiest and fastest way is to install the Tesla system diagnostics program and make or buy a cable
https://www.myrav4ev.com/threads/he...les-and-probably-not-battery.2632/#post-30891
With AnyDesk or Teamviewer, we can help* in connecting, collecting and analysing data.

My preliminary prognosis is unfavorable and I assume that you were sold a faulty vehicle.
I would suggest contacting a lawyer to terminate the deal. The seller is a cheater and misled you about the condition of the vehicle.
I totally agree with the opinion of the respected fred_dot_u about the seller.
I'm assuming you've been scammed out of $12,000 :(

*Reference. https://diag.alflash.com.ua/rav4ev-remote-online-diagnostics/

I recommend paying attention to this video description of the diagnostic capabilities of RAV4EV Tesla system

p.s. Photo of Speed Sensor this RAV4EV?

Last edited:
I was able to check the speed sensor in the motor and it is wet.

Bottom line: unless you can DIY a repair, you're looking at $5-6k plus shipping to someone who will -- at least -- clean & reseal the drive unit (LDU), if it is salvageable. QC Charge in San Diego specializes in this repair and has quoted that price range for a couple years. Left in a wet state, the unit will self-destruct further just sitting in your driveway, but continuing to try to apply HV to the LDU will eventually take out the inverter electronics. You can see pictures of coolant damage to LDUs on Model Ss if you search; it's an extremely common issue.

You're not going to find a "junkyard" drive unit to throw in, as you could for most any other car; they didn't make many of this model, the LDU gears and case is specific to the RAV4 version, so you can't use a Tesla LDU instead, and . . . they're all time bombs in a sense, until you eliminate rotor cooling altogether via a "coolant delete" manifold (or a DIY version of same) AND replace the original rotor bearings with the later ceramic hybrid version.

Sorry 'bout that. The GEN2 RAV4 EV isn't a good buy as a used EV unless you go into the buying decision with your research done, and are willing to take the risks of this orphan vehicle.

Looks like the OBDII cable I bought should arrive in the next few days to be able to read the tesla computer. It makes perfect sense thatclearingth code onthetoyota ide ould not also clear it from the Tesla side, but the seller said that's what he did to get it working when he had it, and told me to do the same si I tried it knowing it was not actually solving anything. Reading through many of the other posts on this forum is why I knew to check the speed sensor, and how to read the Tesla computer, as well as finding out what is probably wrong with only the info at hand.

I emailed the seller to tell him that it's not working as advertised to see what he says before getting legal involved. I'd prefer to give him the chance to make this right first, but reading everything y'all said makes me feel more secure if I do need to escalate farther. I am keeping the glass cleaner that was left in the center console though, lol.

I expected to have an issue with a car like this where I would either have to DIY the repair, or ship it/or parts/ for repair. I did not expect such an issue within hours of taking possession.

Before I bought it, I had been browsing on here to decide whether or not I wanted to risk buying such a unique vehicle or not. Without a space like this, and the support y'all have for each other, I would not even bother with something like this.

Here's the speed sensor and the darkest blob on the towel is what I wiped off said sensor

Attachments

• PXL_20240424_233118998.jpg
    PXL_20240424_233118998.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240424_232807280.jpg
    PXL_20240424_232807280.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240424_232937324.jpg
    PXL_20240424_232937324.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
On the plus side, I see more grease than coolant. Mine had BIG blue drops that are really evident when wiped with white tissue paper or white paper towel.

The grease streak doesn't really mean much to me.
It looked to be all grease then, even with the towel being blue, everything I wiped off looked brown. No big blue coolant drops.

If you wipe blue coolant with blue towel, you won't see blue drops ;)
Still, if true, that's good news!

Looks like the OBDII cable I bought should arrive in the next few days to be able to read the tesla computer.
Wow, I mailed it on the 20th.
Fortunately, it was almost delivered today.

1714258940826.png

Looks like they changed their mind? lol

The cable finally arrived and I plugged it in and here's the only errors I found after see sawing in my driveway a few times. I went ahead and removed the speed sensor again, wiped the droplets off on a white paper towel (they were small but blue) and then reinserted the speed sensor, being sure it was fully inserted this time. I could not get it to populate any other error codes after turning it back on again and see sawing again in my driveway. I am going to take it for a drive later, when there isn't so much traffic to block, because the dealer agreed to take it back and the truck comes tomorrow. I almost don't want to give it back, but I also cannot afford a motor rebuild at the moment.

The dealer has been really nice about me wanting to give it back, or at least not fighting me on it. I've been wanting one of these since I learned of their existence so hopefully I can find another that's either cheaper with known issues, instead of unknown, or a similar price that doesn't start failing ass soon as I take possession.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-01 160248.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-01 160248.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 1
Back