When can we buy the Rav4 EV on the east coast?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kloving

I am very interested in buying a Rav4 EV but I live in Virginia...any idea when we can expect to buy it in our state? Thanks.

These are California emissions compliance cars (just like the Gen 1 Rav4EVs were). They wont *try* to sell them out of California but they're nice vehicles if you're in the niche where they work for you. I love mine. However owning one out of state is a risk (that your dealer wont know how to service them, etc.) However if you want one, a whole bunch of people on here are non-Californians who own them. Go for it!

I live in upstate NY and have one. We took delivery end of May and will hit 5,000 miles this week.

Super fun car. My wife rarely lets me drive it and now is talking about buying a Model X.

Dianne at Carson Toyota can help you out...search for her on this forum and you can get her contact info. By far the easiest car purchase I've ever done.

Mike

Keep in mind that purchasing isn't the problem, it's finding a dealer willing to work on it, and willing to deal with Toyota's BS of not allowing dealers to service the car. If it was easy, there would be one in my garage ;)

Let me second that, amped-- I would have one too, if not for the crazy Toyota service issues. Dianne is clearly an expert on out of state purchases, and a great person, but sadly she has absolutely no control over the warranty and normal servicing of the rav. Let's put Dianne in charge of everything . We would all be better off.

Hi there, I am also an out of state owner. I live in MD. If you want to check it out I will be at the National Plug in Day event in College, Park MD.

Or you can see it almost every weekend at the mall in Tyson's Corner, VA charging in the Tesla spots, as I work at the mall on the weekends.

I will say, registering the car in MD has been a nightmare. Dianne said she sent the Certificate of Origin, but the MVA stated she did not send all the required docs. It has been about 3 months since I leased the car and everything is still not finalized in MD. I have tried to email Dianne, and received no response. I hope they are willing to step up and do what they can to get it titled and registered here.

EM

Dianne is extremely helpful, but she prefers phone calls over e-mail, so I would just give her a call.

Definitely call or text Dianne. I had problems with the Colorado DMV and Dianne went into work early one day just to send me a copy of the document the local DMV wanted. She went above and beyond and it was much appreciated!!

elmoll said:
Hi there, I am also an out of state owner. I live in MD. If you want to check it out I will be at the National Plug in Day event in College, Park MD.

Or you can see it almost every weekend at the mall in Tyson's Corner, VA charging in the Tesla spots, as I work at the mall on the weekends.

I will say, registering the car in MD has been a nightmare. Dianne said she sent the Certificate of Origin, but the MVA stated she did not send all the required docs. It has been about 3 months since I leased the car and everything is still not finalized in MD. I have tried to email Dianne, and received no response. I hope they are willing to step up and do what they can to get it titled and registered here.

EM
I bought my car from Dianne as well and it was also by far the easiest transaction I have ever had for a car. She reads these message boards often, but I would also recommend just calling her. I know that she was out for a short time due to a family emergency, but I think she basically works like 16 hours a day 7 days a week. Call her.

If you're concerned about the service issue talk to your local toyota.

At my local dealer I have celebrity status...the staff is really excited to see the RAV4 EV each time I pull in.

I have not had any issues...I would guess that any standard repairs would be no problem...repairs related to tesla components might be more difficult, but then again how many plug in prius motors do you think your local dealer has replaced. I find it really hard to believe that a local toyota dealar could not replace a tesla motor.

The issue is, 'apparently' Toyota Corp will not reimburse the dealers that do any work under warranty. So I am surprised that your dealer is doing it.

It goes me a glimmer of hope..

mkjayakumar said:
The issue is, 'apparently' Toyota Corp will not reimburse the dealers that do any work under warranty. So I am surprised that your dealer is doing it.

It goes me a glimmer of hope..

The dealer won't expect to NOT get paid for the service/warranty, so they won't know there is a problem until long after they have already done the service or warranty work.

That's my point... the dealer may actually WANT to work on your car, but they aren't going to do it for free.

Repost from another thread:

Toyota is no doubt becoming increasingly agitated with out of state sales. This isn't hard to figure out, folks!!! They built the car for one reason, and it is costing them TENS of millions of dollars to sell them to you (so they can sell oil burner cars in California and other CARB states). They can't prevent a dealer from doing "interstate commerce", but they can make it difficult for you to own and purchase the car out of state.

We have already seen the scheme of dealers not getting paid for service and warranty repairs who are out of state (and therefore are not certified dealers).

1. Intentionally limiting sales to California only
2. No unlimited mileage leases out of state... already happening.
3. Harassing dealers who want to service / warranty repair the car by not paying them!!! Yes, it's happening.
4. Limiting the listing of charging stations in the Navigation unit

In the future, I predict different incentives for out of state, to wit:

5. Limiting the discounts on the car to only California sales and registration
6. Different Toyota interest rate / lease money factors on sales out of state
7. Limiting the car in some obtuse way (making Entunes not work, or some other petty method to make the car less attractive out of state)
8. Limited parts availability to non-California states (i.e., you can't even pay cash for the parts, let alone get warranty repairs)
9. Any other way that the lawyers will sign off on to make sure that the car is likely to be sold and registered only in California through 2014 model year

So, for out-of-state buyers, things will get worse, I ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE IT.

For instate, the discounts will likely go down until they feel the pressure to sell model year 2014 cars. The CARB-ZEV credits are attached to the model year.

One other thing is the listing of charging stations in the Nav unit. In Colorado, it lists the closest station 500 miles away. I presume if you do that in a Plug-in-Prius in Colorado, it shows all the local stations. To also load that into the database for the RAV4 would be child's play. I believe this limited window into the database is on purpose.

I just use the Chargepoint app on my phone to find stations, but in truth, I never charge away from home or the office.

reeler said:
One other thing is the listing of charging stations in the Nav unit. In Colorado, it lists the closest station 500 miles away. I presume if you do that in a Plug-in-Prius in Colorado, it shows all the local stations. To also load that into the database for the RAV4 would be child's play. I believe this limited window into the database is on purpose.

I just use the Chargepoint app on my phone to find stations, but in truth, I never charge away from home or the office.

I didn't even think to look for that when I had my Rav4 in Oregon, Washington state and British Columbia. I also just use an app from the iPhone or iPad.

reeler said:

I have wondered about that. I live in las vegas but it will only give me charging stations in california......wtf?

crxpilot said:
I have wondered about that. I live in las vegas but it will only give me charging stations in california......wtf?

What are the chances the Plug-in-Prius doesn't have a nationwide station database when they access entune in their car? Toyota is being petulant by filtering the database to just show California stations. Since when do you make a car difficult to use out of one state of the fifty?

Back