Torque steering

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. First thing I learned from a "test" drive was how much torque steer the Tesla drivetrain has when making a U-turn while putting your foot into it. It was quite surprising actually!

The follow-up question: can something be done to reduce it? I am not sure if ABS/Traction control/steering assist can interact in a useful way. Track bars? Using less throttle "fixes" it, but that isn't nearly as fun.

I'm actually liking the Rav4's torque steer, just goes to show how much power this beast has! =)

boredcleaner said:
The follow-up question: can something be done to reduce it? I am not sure if ABS/Traction control/steering assist can interact in a useful way. Track bars? Using less throttle "fixes" it, but that isn't nearly as fun.
Just drive in "normal" mode (217ft-lbs max). Driving in "sport" mode (273ft-lbs max) with a heavy foot, is much more likely to produce torque steer. This is probably why the car defaults to NORMAL each time you turn it ON, and why the i/p changes to RED - color of the DEVIL - to remind you when its enabled. :mrgreen:

Dsinned said:
Yes. First thing I learned from a "test" drive was how much torque steer the Tesla drivetrain has when making a U-turn while putting your foot into it. It was quite surprising actually!

Technicality really, but torque steer is more a function of the suspension geometry of the RAV rather than the Tesla drivetrain. Though it wouldn't be noticeable without the excellent torque capability of the Tesla drivetrain. :p

To the OP, the torque steer can and will tug both ways depending which side of off center you have the steering wheel, and the road conditions. I've had a couple people test drive mine and they inevitably see-saw back and forth, not expecting torque that it's capable of.

FYI, the V6 has this problem as well, rather scary if this is your first car which has this 'feature', but once you get used to it, not as big of a deal.

Back