Speculation: Will Tesla offer future battery pack upgrades?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieranmullen

The gigafactory isnt just for the Tesla. It would do them well to make battery upgrades for the LEaf and the Rav 4

Rav 4 would be more likely choice since battery is by them in the first place. Any word about this?

I think that Tesla would rather sell us new cars that have those batteries in them.

kieranmullen said:
tgreene said:
I think that Tesla would rather sell us new cars that have those batteries in them.

Perhaps both. They do plan on selling a crapload of batteries

Chances are pretty much 0. When the Model 3 becomes available they will use all the batteries they produce. There have already been talks of opening additional Gigafactories. The current one in Nevada is now officially referred to as Gigafactory 1 for this reason.

An important tidbit is that the cells used in Tesla Model 3 will actually be a different size (20700).

While Model S will likely retain 18650s for sometime, I can also see them going to the more energy dense, larger format cells in Model S/X. What that really means is that eventually, for at least Tesla, they will likely get away from the cells that we use (18650).

Again, I see absolutely zero / nil / nada / none / no chance of Tesla making a better battery for RAV4 EV.

I found these pictures for comparison of the old vs new cell.

file.php

file.php

The text on the first image indicates a 25% cost savings which is significant.

Back