Any other Rav4ev owners make a Model 3 deposit?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3ckf

I did today at Tesla Palo Alto.
The sales person was amused when i said "well i own half-a-Tesla already" and pointed a the Rav4EV. He knew what one was apparently.

I made a deposit on the Tesla.com website for the Model 3. Since my lease is up on the RAV4 EV in late 2016, I may look at getting the Chevy Bolt when it comes out in late 2016 and then also get the Model 3 when it comes out in late 2017.

Oh yes. I did.

I apparently also chose to wait in what turned out to be the longest line (Santana Row, San Jose, CA), according to Tesla. I bailed after over an hour (on reports of lines gone at other locations) and went to Fremont where indeed there was no line anymore. (They had many more kiosks operating.)

And then my girlfriend ordered hers online, immediately after seeing the live web presentation of the reveal. (She also has a RAV4 EV.) Her lease ends in September 2017 so she'll probably have about six months to do without. My lease ends this October though so I'll likely buy out the lease.

Waited in line at the Buena Park location for over 2 hours. I ended up seeing an exact copy of my Rav4 with a trailer hitch like mine. Super excited for the 3 except for one thing - I saw the trunk lid open in one of the pics and it's a rather small trunk opening. I've really grown to appreciate the versatility of the Rav4EV so I'm starting to wonder what the Model Y will be like. I may ditch the sedan and hold out for the SUV version of the Model 3...

GASKIKR said:
Waited in line at the Buena Park location for over 2 hours. I ended up seeing an exact copy of my Rav4 with a trailer hitch like mine. Super excited for the 3 except for one thing - I saw the trunk lid open in one of the pics and it's a rather small trunk opening. I've really grown to appreciate the versatility of the Rav4EV so I'm starting to wonder what the Model Y will be like. I may ditch the sedan and hold out for the SUV version of the Model 3...
Yeah, that was my only disappointment at the reveal: it's not a hatchback. Boo!

fusiondynamics said:
Anyone who put a deposit online get a email confirmation? I know they took my money but no confirmation.
No emails yet for either of us. If you look on the Tesla Motors Forum, most everyone is still waiting on getting an email. You can verify it went through by checking your credit card online.

I camped out at San Diego UTC and was number 15 in line. I was also the first current Tesla owner in line.

I made a deposit for two Model 3s.

It would be impossible for car like that to replace the versatility and room of the RAV4, so I won't be replacing the RAV4 EV.

I was quoted on the cover of the San Diego Union Tribune newspaper:

"This is the moment of the Model T as far as electric vehicle revolution is concerned," said Tony Williams of San Diego, who was one of the early birds in line Thursday morning and already owns a Model S. "This is when the mass market realizes they can actually drive a full-featured electric car for a reasonable price that competes on par with any gasoline car they have."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/mar/31/tesla-long-lines/

TonyWilliams said:
It would be impossible for car like that to replace the versatility and room of the RAV4, so I won't be replacing the RAV4 EV.
Oh that reminds me that the guy I was standing next to in line at Santana Row turned out to be a RAV4 EV owner as well. We talked about many things and answered questions about our "half-a-Tesla"'s from our neighbors in line, but interestingly, he was currently planning to return the vehicle at the end of the lease and had been always keeping it in extended charge mode. I was a bit taken aback at this but he had decided "why not?" since he was going to return it at the end of the lease. (It bums me out to think about the poor future owner of this abused battery.)

Anyway, I tried to convince him that perhaps it would serve his own self-interests to not leave it in extended mode unnecessarily, hurting his own battery capacity/range while he's still using it.

Oh, so that's *another* RAV4 EV owner (and not on this forum) looking forward to his Model 3.

I was #88 in Pasadena. Glad I waited in line. It was a fun event.

I've been looking at the Model 3 pictures today. Pretty sure it is not for me.

I'm really more of an SUV guy. I go to Home Depot a lot and also like haul bikes around. The RAV4 is perfect for that sort of thing. The Model 3 looks a little too precious for my intended use. Glass roof? How can you put a roof rack on that? The rear hatch is pretty narrow, too. edit - it has no rear hatch. Just a small trunk opening. I think that's the deal breaker.

I think the Bolt may win by default when my lease is up next summer. The square back and steel roof seems more in line with what I need.

I orderd one early in the morning (in Austria at 0530am) via internet!
But not to replace my RAV4.

I also put a deposit on 2 Model 3's.

I owned a model S and I sold it because it was hard on my bad back. I will have to see if the model 3 is any better - for me that means higher off the ground.

I also am keeping the Rav 4 EV - and I plan on adding another RAV 4 EV to the family pool when I find the right one at the right price.

With Jdemo and if we can ever figure out an auxiliary battery pack - its too versatile to give up the RAV 4 with no alternative.

I reserved one at the Palo Alto store during lunchtime before the reveal. I spent more time at Togo's getting a sandwich to eat in line than I did at Tesla. When I got there I parked on the street directly in front of the store and there was only one guy ahead of me when I got to the door. Less than 10 minutes all-in.

Hopefully the timing will work out for the end of our e-Golf lease in April 2018. However, my wife is making noises about wanting a larger vehicle. If she had to choose today, it would be a Highlander Hybrid or RX450h. Booo. If she really wants to go that way, there's no way she's getting a new one. I'm not buying her a new car that still burns gas. That will really put me in a pinch. A car like that will obviate the need for the RAV and I will really want the 3. Too bad she doesn't want to drive the RAV so I can drive the 3. Grrrr...

# 107 in line at the downtown Seattle Tesla dealership. RAVESLA's owner was also in line, and we both saw a 3rd RAV4 EV drive slowly around the block, probably checking out the lines before parking. Didn't recognize the woman driving it. (nice silver one with trailer hitch)

I, too, intend to keep my RAV4. It's just SO versatile!

I signed up for one. I waited 3.5 hours in line from 10am to 1:30pm at Dublin, CA. The first person in line in Walnut Creek was there from 9:30am Wednesday morning and was interviewed on the radio. My friend/bicycling partner surprised me and also signed up. She likes my RAV4 EV.

No hatchback will probably kill it for me.

I *just* ordered mine. Don't know how I forgot about the event at all, but after seeing the unveiling I didn't hesitate a second. At $35K before incentives - this is a great price point, even if we have to pay another 2-3K for both supercharger access and autopilot mode.
The lease on my Rav4 ends in 1 year, and I was going to buy the car anyways. It'll probably be at least another year before my model 3 ships, so I'll have plenty of time to think about the further destiny of my Rav4.

4min said:
I *just* ordered mine. Don't know how I forgot about the event at all, but after seeing the unveiling I didn't hesitate a second. At $35K before incentives - this is a great price point, even if we have to pay another 2-3K for both supercharger access and autopilot mode.
The lease on my Rav4 ends in 1 year, and I was going to buy the car anyways. It'll probably be at least another year before my model 3 ships, so I'll have plenty of time to think about the further destiny of my Rav4.

With about a quarter million reservations ahead of you, you're probably looking at a delivery in at least three, maybe four, years. Don't forget that Tesla have never made any of their announced deadlines.

I put a reservation in when they were first open online, so I'm somewhere around the 100,000 mark - although being on the west coast of North America would bump one higher on the list than, say, those in Australia or Japan even though they could order first.

Either way, I will probably get a Bolt when they become available here in Canada this year - possibly on a lease so I could move to a Model 3 when they're available.

The Bolt is a much more practical vehicle than the Model 3 due to the hatchback CUV layout though. The Model 3's traditional sedan format with tiny trunk turns me off as I've always had hatchbacks and I'm not sure I could give up that flexibility. For me, supercharging is the main area of interest for the Model 3.

Left Bakersfield at 6:45am and reached Century City at 9:00. There were already about 2-300 people in line. Tesla was handing out cookies and Yogurtland gave out coupons for free yogurt. Elon showed up about 10:30 and gave everybody a High-five. Finally reached the front of the line about 11:15 and placed my deposit. There were at least 100 people in line after I left. Got my e-mail late Friday, but my reservation number showed up on my MYTESLA page earlier. No idea where I actually am in the listings as they didn't tell me when I registered. It was pretty much a fun atmosphere during the wait as people left to get coffee from a nearby kiosk or to discuss the worlds problems.

I was number 19 out of 500+ in Rocklin.

While in line, I randomly chatted with a guy who turned out to be a member of this forum. i also saw three RAV4 EVs parked, so I'd guess there were several more.

Back