A couple of charging questions

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmoll

Hello All,

I am a week or so out from receiving my RAV and I had a couple of questions:

1. Does the RAV lock the EVSE while charging?

2. Are the amps adjustable like in the Model S?

Thank you,

Eric

You can't adjust the amps from the car, but several EVSEs that I know about are adjustable. Both the VersiCharge and the Model S UMC can signal the car to pull less amps via the J1772 signal. There are also some other EVSEs that can signal for different amps but I don't recall the names.

1) You can't put the car into drive or reverse while charging. Not sure if that's what you're asking or if you asking does it lock the door. Door is definitely not locked.

2) It charges as fast as it can always.

Mike

Just to add to the above... If you want to prevent somebody from unplugging your J1772 nozzle, the nozzle would need to provide that function. I believe some of the public charging stations can do that. My Leviton nozzle has a hole in the trigger that you could put a small padlock through. Using the padlock would prevent the nozzle from being removed and probably also the charge interruption that can be caused by pushing the trigger.

When I was using my 110v on my Prius ... or initially on my EV in the driveway before the Versi-Charge was installed in my garage, I would just drive the wheel ON the cord so if they wanted to steal it, they wouldn't get the whole thing. ;)

The car will email you when she's been interrupted in charge. Among other things... like done charging, and such. Someday it will scan the contents of my fridge and remind me to get milk and bread.

Back