$3000 Rav4EV project. BMS codes inside

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnewRav4

Hi everybody, I purchase this vehicle from a local that buys and sells cars via the auction. His ad stated he could not get the vehicle to charge. He provided me with a house charger and confirmed the vehicle would not charge. I did notice the charging lights in the rear would both illuminate for 10min and then both shut off showing charge was complete (from my research) although on the dash and in the data showed 0% charge. The vehicle does not drive, nor does it go into drive or reverse on the indicator. When attempting to get the vehicle in the ready mode I see "READY" will flash a couple of times and then go out. One thing I noticed when I towed the vehicle home is that the g48 coolant on the driver side was empty. I filled it with a gallon of coolant and still cannot see it in the reservoir. With a little research I inspected the vehicle speed sensor. When I pulled it I saw it was covered with brown rusty fluid, it also smelled damp and old like stagnant water (catastrophic yes)

With all that said Iam more interested in diagnosis the EXACT issue at hand. Despite the motor having coolant/rust inside of if it, if there is something ELSE preventing this vehicle form going into drive and charging. I would like to start there first. i downloaded the tesla software and made myself a cable to read the tesla side of the system. It pulled up a few codes, I took note and erased them. scanned again and kept coming up with BMS_F003 & BMS_f050. These seem a little bit like a generic type of code. looking for a way to diagnose these codes. Any help would be appreciated. Would also like information about how to repair the rotor/stator if need be. Is there any cure for one that has been rusted over? View attachment IMG_0721.jpgView attachment IMG_0723.jpgIMG_0726.jpgView attachment IMG_0748.jpgIMG_0754.jpegIMG_0755.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
First of all, this RAV4EV needs
1. Replacement*)​
- rotor seals with Teflon seals installation​
- both hybrid/ceramic bearings​
- probably transmission bearings​
2. Checking​
- insulation resistance between the stator windings and the stator housing using a megohmmeter​
- condition of the rotor shaft surface​
- coolant entering the inverter​
3. To understand the essence and complexity of the problem, I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the video of this channel​

And most importantly, if you want to buy a vehicle, and don't want to buy a problem with the vehicle, then refuse to purchase...
IMO. It will be good if the repair of this vehicle costs no more than $7,000US and lasts less than 6 months...

*) Required spare parts
https://alflash.com.ua/2019/to_rav4ev/bearings_seals.jpg
bearings_seals.jpg

For example, BMS_f050 potential causes https://alflash.com.ua/2019/to_rav4ev/bms_f050ca.png
bms_f050ca.png

And Tesla haven't a test plan for this code :(

Last edited:
The battery voltage is shown as 241 V - this means the average cell voltage is about 2.6 V, and most likely many bricks are well below that. This pack is likely irrecoverable/permanently damaged.

Was this vehicle flooded? The rust/grease seen on the speed sensor is more than typical for a failing coolant seal, and a flooded battery pack would yield some of the BMS errors you are getting. Pure speculation at this point, without dropping and opening the pack...

535-035957eadfba72e9068a890ec50f1fc1.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken, the G48 reservoir you show as empty is the one that feeds the battery loop. You've added a gallon of coolant and it's not satisfied . . . it may be pooling in the battery case :(

On the LDU, as long as you plan on doing a "coolant delete" mod, the condition of the rotor is fairly insignificant; the rusty crusty stuff can usually be cleaned up enough to work. The larger issue is stator insulation resistance, and corrosion over on the inverter side where the power electronics live. Much time spent soaked in coolant and both of those become scrap. The key is to get it apart ASAP.

If it were me, I think I might disconnect the coolant lines to the battery (underneath) and pull a mild vacuum on the battery cooling loop to establish that it's still water-tight.

There's a scrapyard in Wisconsin advertising a HV pack for under $1k. Shipping to Calif. would come high, perhaps almost doubling that cost. And I doubt that they can advise on its condition, so . . . an expensive gamble. Swapping out the 900 lb. battery requires a level surface (ie not a sloped driveway), patience, two to four floor jacks, and lots of 4x4s for cribbing and load spreaders. But the cost otherwise is low enough for DIY.

1719845980280.png

My gut feeling is that, faced with both a battery replacement and and LDU replacement, this may be hard to part out to recover your $3k.

---

If you decide to part out this car, I'm looking for a cheap intact battery case (I do not care about the condition of the modules/cells, though it would be desirable for them to be present and unmolested). Emphasis on cheap. West Coast or similar (SoCal would be a good road trip for me).

Last edited:
Back