San Diego & dynamat

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

I'm thinking of having dynamat or some similar sound deadening stuff installed to our RAV to try and cut down some of the road noise. Does anyone know of any good shops in the San Diego area that might be able to do this sort of work? I really don't want to do it myself!

Most high end custom car sound shops should be able to fix you up. They commonly carry Dynamat or equivalent.

As a strictly DIY job Ingineer has used window and door flashing from Home Depot for a much cheaper not quite as effective substitute. Dynamat is quite expensive when you consider doing a whole car.

GlennD said:
Most high end custom car sound shops should be able to fix you up. They commonly carry Dynamat or equivalent.

As a strictly DIY job Ingineer has used window and door flashing from Home Depot for a much cheaper not quite as effective substitute. Dynamat is quite expensive when you consider doing a whole car.

Do not use a product that will heat and smell. Doing a car in Dynamat properly can also add quite a bit of weight, Seems like a waste of money for a car like the RAV.

I had a rattle in the drivers door after inspection of a window mechanism.
They (toyota dealer) installed some kind of insulating foam on that door.
I now hear more road noise from the 3 other doors than the driver door.
Amazing...

Hi-

I had the same complaint but instead of doing the dynamat thing I bought new premium tires- continental pure contacts. It makes a world of difference. From a noise/ride comfort perspective changing tires turned my Rav4EV into a Lexus. I also went with the ice RAV4 18" sport wheels.

Funny, one of the reasons I love this car is because its so quiet. I wouldnt dream of wasting money on Dynamat personally.

jimbo69ny said:
Funny, one of the reasons I love this car is because its so quiet. I wouldnt dream of wasting money on Dynamat personally.

You mean you miss the hum and rumble of an ICE.
But this car is not quiet.
Take a drive in a lexus SUV , with ICE (or better the hybrid in electric mode)
That's quiet ;-)

If you do want to. Try Raamaudio.com. They carry a similar product to dynamat. Get the set that comes with the foam. The rubber mat combined with the foam makes a big difference. The car sounds more solid vs. the tin can when you close the doors.

Back