Running out of power-Restart

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smkettner

OK I have read Tony's sequence of low battery to turtle sequence.
I would like to know how low can the RAV run and still be turned off and restarted.
I assume once you hit turtle mode the car will not restart.... or will it?
Or is there a different level where you better have power to charge or just keep going.

Yes I searched a bit to no avail.

About 3 miles after everything Tony said happens, the car shuts off. Yes you can steer it to the curb. Then you press the SOS button and spend a lot of time on hold.
After about 30 minutes, you can start it and drive the couple of blocks to the charging station you found while scouting on foot for that 30 minutes.

Don't ask me how I know this. :)

SeattleRav4 said:
About 3 miles after everything Tony said happens, the car shuts off. Yes you can steer it to the curb. Then you press the SOS button and spend a lot of time on hold.
After about 30 minutes, you can start it and drive the couple of blocks to the charging station you found while scouting on foot for that 30 minutes.

Don't ask me how I know this. :)

Yep... I've never killed the Rav4 EV, and there's really no reason to.

If you hit "turtle" and you're not near any charging location, pull over, shut it off and make a plan B. Driving it until the car automatically shuts down isn't going to benefit you.

When the tow truck arrives, the car can still be driven up on the truck, or maneuvered around. Plus, when you get to a charge station, you only need to charge enough to get home (if you're not already there from the tow). The heater or air conditioner will still work somewhat, unless you lose the last fuel bar and get "Climate Control Limited".

If you kill it, you will wait a LOT longer before it will let you turn it on.

Towing comes with the car, for free. Use it. Don't kill the car!!!

As reported by the BMS from the Tesla battery pack, I have run the car down to 2.5% SOC and nearly 2.5 volts on the lowest cell voltage. I suspect 2.5 volts is the cutoff.

Perfect, thank you ;)

Was running errands today, close to turtle and starting to wonder when the restart cut-off was.

Saw a new (to me) warning that said I was out of range to get home.
Anyway charging at work will pick up about 40 miles so I am good for now.

Back