Off-Topic: Just had to share.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scary. The initial pictures are so bad that I thought they were going to show the aftermath of an electrical fire. Of course, that may still happen...

Edit: **I just noticed this was not posted by the Leaf forum author / creator. I don't have a username / account for the Leaf forum, or I would delete this post and move it there.**

Not sure I want to enter the dialogue, but unfortunately I have to.

1) The wire you used in the breaker panel is designed for temorary connection and has a soft, flexible insulation (for cords and such with a heavy protective jacket). Vibration is caused by myriad sources such as airplanes & helicopters, earthquakes, loud cars / motorcycles, etc. Every little sound wave that causes your windows to rattle, etc. will cause a minute movement of the wire against the sharp sheet metal edge of the electrical panel. Each time cutting a thousandth of an inch into the insulation. The insulation is only about 40 thousandths thick. I would recommend a proper strain relief, but the wire type is not suited for it. The insulation will be deformed or crushed. If you use this type of cord for wiring, please leave it in the protective cover except where needed to make the connections (inside the box). Please PM me your address and I will send you some #8 2NM-G or #8 THHN conductors and a strain relief.

2) Black and white commonly carry current (for residential AC installations). Green is earth ground, and technically (in romex / conduit / wall) does not need insulation. Please switch the white and green wires. Please.

3) Overall nice job wiring the plug, but notice the green color and the letter G where you attached the white wire? That's for the green wire (ground). The other terminals are likely similarly marked and/or have a gold colored screw where the black wire connects, and a silver screw where the white wire connects (or is supposed to).

4) I wish my electric panel had that much space, that is awesome!

I hope this serves you well, but please know that safety is an insignificant cost when compared to the potential catastrophic consequences for seemingly harmless actions.

Back