New RAV4 EV Website Platform

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks for checking - I remember the phone call but don't specifically remember the 'selling' website portion. I'll send you a PM with price details.

I always thought Tony was the owner of the forums just because of how much he would post, how fast he would respond, and just the amount of knowledge he has shared. Crazy to know that he isn't. I hope things end well for both parties. As for facebook that isn't an option for me. That place is so crazy and so crazy about your private information and life that I sometimes feel is quite dangerous :(, but for young folks it seems to be a blast!

cashcow said:
I always thought Tony was the owner of the forums just because of how much he would post, how fast he would respond, and just the amount of knowledge he has shared. Crazy to know that he isn't. I hope things end well for both parties. As for facebook that isn't an option for me. That place is so crazy and so crazy about your private information and life that I sometimes feel is quite dangerous :(, but for young folks it seems to be a blast!

I have no intention to abandon a web format.

It's my opinion that phpBB is badly outdated. The lack of convenient image posting is a huge shortcoming.

I've spent several years as an active participant on priuschat.com, based on the XenForo platform. This site has its quirks, but it provides a rich environment for exchanging ideas, sharing information, and socializing our Prius activities. It's fun.

I also spend a lot of time on stackoverlfow.com, which is based on the StackExchange platform (see http://stackexchange.com/sites). This platform is an excellent way for creating a community of experts. I've often thought it would be a great experiment to see if a car enthusiast community could thrive there.

There's my two cents.

Awesome if Tony takes over the site. I've only two requests.. please no Facebook and please please don't do whatever was done a few years ago to My Nissan Leaf with the forum software. Ugh!

Aries said:
Awesome if Tony takes over the site. I've only two requests.. please no Facebook and please please don't do whatever was done a few years ago to My Nissan Leaf with the forum software. Ugh!

What's so wrong with the Nissan Leaf forum? :) Some people love it, some seem to hate it. Either way, it was a software update for security that came with a new look....

admin said:
Aries said:

What's so wrong with the Nissan Leaf forum? :) Some people love it, some seem to hate it. Either way, it was a software update for security that came with a new look....
So why hasn't that (security) upgrade made it to this forum (yet)?

I think coming up with a valuation for this site is a tricky thing. My guess is that the value of a website is all about the amount of traffic it can generate and eyeballs it has. Unlike other car chat forums (myleaf, tdiclub, etc..) this one has a very low ceiling and unlike the others is a depreciating asset. Since the Rav4 EV was a limited production run and now a discontinued product, the site will never have more active users than it currently has, and every day that goes by, the chances of current users leaving increases since cars don't last forever.

On the other hand, the leaf forum (or other car chat forums) have a whole new pool of potential users every year that car is in production. If I had to just guess of the top of my head, I'd think in 5 years this site might have half the number of active users it has now (which is already not very high).

A secondary point here is that Tony himself is a greater than average contributor to that value based on his insight, helpfulness and volume of posts. Without him, the site would be worth less. How much less? No idea, but less.

I guess my point here is that Tony shouldn't overpay for a clearly depreciating asset that he himself inflates the value of through his own contribution.

Valuation is easy. Considering the small and shrinking number of RAV4-EVs the price should be returned with positive net cash flow fairly soon like 2 to 5 years max.

I only see declining membership unless Toyota starts building electric RAVs again. Even then readership would be split between old and new.

Not the same as LEAF where sales continue and could at some point explode. Better to have a general EV forum with options to restrict categories to the vehicle make/model/year etc.

We will retain the general format that we have here, with some important improvements.

It's not about building an ever increasing size population of click bait to generate ad revenue. It's about service to the enthusiasts and owners of the RAV4 EV.

I had a very productive meeting last night on the steps required to make this happen.

Back