Move USB Port

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSki

I would like to move the USB port inside the center console. I don't like having my iPod cable exposed.

Anyone tried this or done this and have any advice?

Have you made any progress on moving the USB port? I'm also interested in doing the same. I'd like to leave an old iPod in the armrest and connected via USB.

Nope no progress. I switched to using my phone and stream everything via bluetooth.

What about just getting a really low profile (short) 16 or 32 GB USB memory stick like this and keeping it plugged in to the existing port:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B005FYNSZA

I just ordered one and will take that route.

I would like to swap the USB/Aux port block with the Sport block. Both would be in better positions if they were swapped. Anyone know how to remove the panels without damaging things? From another post, I'd also like to install the auto-folding mirror option.

So I just moved my aux/USB port last night into the console. Please see this related link in another RAV4 forum:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/92124-2012-ipod-glove-compartment.html

Basically if you reach your fingers inside the hand brake, you can feel for and press some small clips that hold the mirror controls and the small pocket in place. The pocket and mirror controls come right out. Then you remove the cable (quick release connector) from the aux/USB plug. With the pocket and mirror controls removed, you can now reach in and press the release and push out the blank plug inside the console (I found it easier if I disconnected all the wires from the mirror control/pocket since the wires are short. The blank plug (black) pushes out into the console. Then you can press the release and push out the aux/USB plug out the front of the mirror control/pocket. The aux/USB plug can only fit 1 way inside the console. Push it back into place and then connect the wires. Reconnect the mirror control wires and put the black blank plug in place (you may want to trade for a gray plug from the light dimmer/leveling switch area to the left of the steering wheel). You can then reinstall the mirror controls/pocket back in. Took all of 2 minutes with the help of a flashlight (it was dark inside the console/handbrake area).

I hope this info helps.

I would never think it was that easy.

Now that that is done, I want to move the Sports mode to where the USB port was. Need to see if I have to add some wire, I am sure I will.

My first impression is that the sport button should be on the steering wheel when you need that extra burst when you're driving. Either a button or a paddle or something behind the steering wheel. But after thinking about it, people would probably drive themselves off of a cliff or flip their car over gunning it on a turn, so maybe it's good that you have to reach for it to give yourself some pause before going to hyper drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_qiVBy0B2Y&feature=youtu.be

Back