I was involved in an accident with my RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree on the gas inconvenience. I had a couple rentals for three weeks when battery was being replaced in Rav4. First was a Tacoma 4x2, Hyundai Sonata, and Hybrid Camry.

Sonata and Camry both got 35-38 mpg and the Tacoma only about 15 mpg. Heading to the gas station or trying to figure out how many miles I had left was actually more difficult in cars I wasn't use to. Seemed like 10-15 mintues per fill up and dropping $55 every couple days to cover my 85+ mile roundtrip just isn't fun.

I am surprised to hear about the cost of parts and the issue with having to re-order (did I read that right?). You'd think the experts would have all they needed and not have to pass along the costs but it is insurance so who knows what they try and get away with.

Did you ever start the diminished value claim?

The issue with the parts is that they are holding back on ordering them until they absolutely do everything possible to find 'after market parts' for every single one of them, and that if I want any originals when after market is available I have to pay the difference. Thankfully because the rav4 ev is unique there are some parts they just can't order as original; This aspect of the vehicle is kind of like a double edged sword.

Another issue is that they can and they might get parts off vehicles in a junk-yard as an alternative to ordering a brand new part from HQ if I recall correctly. I basically need to see the list of parts/items they will use to know just what kind of Frankenstein experience they might be up to.

They are also going to top off the fluids. Not sure if they will top off all of them, but they did say they would top off the traction battery one which was low. I kind of wish they would change it out.

For the diminished value claim I believe they want me to wait till the vehicle is finally repaired, but I have to double check with them.

I got a call today saying they final estimate is done. Total is 11,700 something total and they will replace the front wiring harness. I think the old estimate of 12,000 had the wiring harness cost included. interesting that the final price dropped some. I guess they found some after market parts?

They need my approval to being the work. I want to get an itemized list when I go in to see just what is going to be changed with what. I wonder if the wiring harness will be original or after market? I was told that some wires did get pinched and cut up after the accident. The damage was so small it's crazy to think its costing this much and as far as I know right now no Tesla components were involved.

I asked if the motor was okay and they said it had no problem. They are also pushing the date when it will be ready. It was going to be done in 7th of april and now it will be until the 21st.

I think the front fenders and hood may be the same as ICE, so those are most likely available aftermarket. Headlights and the front bumper cover are definitely unique to the EV, so those will have to be new from Toyota or pulled from another parted-out car. Good Luck. I am very happy with my repair. Since the heat exchangers were toast, they had to completely fill and bleed both G48 cooling circuits. Now I won't have to do that for another 40k miles.

I spoke with the guy from the shop and he said the 12k ish price for the repairs actually included the wiring harness, so that means the price isn't going to go up any higher. He showed me part of the harness that got pinched and cut and he said they could have tried to fix it themselves with out ordering the harness, but said the damage was enough to warrant a replacement. He also said that he thinks the wiring harness is Original Manufacturer part since he doesn't think there is an after market option for it.

Said he had not gotten any error codes from the vehicle through the port because they want to get the new wiring harness in. Also, they have not been able to stop the wind shield wipers from turning, so when the rav4 ev is on the wipers just keep on going. Plus they also have no idea why the rear windshield wiper wipes in the opposite direction it should. I don't even know if they actually checked the wiper motor to see if it rotated around....

I asked about the traction battery and they said it should be okay and that they had DRAINED the fluid. He opened the hood and showed me that the container was empty, so I asked him if this was the same as doing a 'flush' and he was not sure. If they took out the G48 coolant by 'draining' is this the same as doing a 'flush' or that 50k mile service? If it qualifies then I don't have to worry about doing that service myself. He did said he would top off all the fluids, but the others were not drained. I don't know if they drained the motor fluid or not.

I think to do the flush you need to open some sort of valve inside the traction battery with the Tesla Diagnostic tool? If this is the case can someone let me know so I can let them know that they have not drained the vehicle completely?

He also said the prices will fluctuate because when they look for parts they look for a rav4 L because the ev is not in their system....

Back