How to nicely tell people not to unplug you.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Bornstein

On one of the other EV forums I came across a company that makes magnetic signs that explain how to tell if a car is still charging so that you wont be unplugged prematurely. Unfortunately, they didn't have one for the RAV4. I contacted the owner of the company, Eric Cote, and convinced him to make one for our EV (I also bought a set for my Volt and a friends Leaf).

I sent Eric the pages from our manual that explain the meaning of the lights as well as photos of my RAV with the lights lit up. This is what he came up with:

ravchgmag_small.png

I know that the explanation of the lights is somewhat simplified, but he tried to get the most salient info into the small splace available. The magnets are $9.95 each delivered. His website is:

http://www.evextend.com/Rav4-Charging-Magnet.php

I met this guy at the National Drive Electric meet in Syracuse. Nice guy. He has a Volt. He told me he was working on these but this is the first I have seen it.

What is the magnet supposed to stick on? I hope nothing outside the car unless you buy a dozen or so. The simple version of this is a sign that says do not unplug unless all lights are off. Anyone having repeated issues with being unplugged should lock their handle with a zip tie. I'm not sure why this would be an ongoing issue but I suppose this depends on where you park, I have never been unplugged once except when an idiot caught the EVSE cabe o his bumper and pulled the cable off the station completely.

smkettner said:
Has it been a problem?
There are many threads on both the Volt and Leaf forums that discuss the etiquette of when it is proper to unplug someone. There is even a chart on the Leaf forum giving all of the indicators for all the known EV's so that you can tell if a car is finished charging. The etiquette debate runs from NEVER unplug someone to go ahead and do it.

In my very limited experience of public charging, I came across a Leaf with all indicator lights out but still plugged in. I unplugged it and charged my RAV. When I left a few hours later, it was still there.

Although I do carry a lock with me, I consider it bad form to lock a public charger unless you are sure you will return before your session is over. The lock is only for my personal EVSE (thanks Glenn).

If you are concerned that someone will steal the magnet, you really shouldn't be parking there in the first place. They might take your wheels or break off the charging door too.

Michael Bornstein said:
smkettner said:
There is even a chart on the Leaf forum giving all of the indicators for all the known EV's so that you can tell if a car is finished charging.

I spent some time googling for that but found nothing.
Do you have a URL for me ?

Most if not all charging stations will have some visible indication of whether a connected car is actually charging.

It is always ok to unplug a car that is no longer charging. The stickers may be helpful for people unfamiliar with the indications on a particular car. I didn't know until recently how to interpret the rav indicators.

I agree...never lock at a public station. I occasionally need to use a J1772 extension cord. I may lock it to something so it can't be taken but I never do anything that would prevent someone else from using the station.

fromport said:
Michael Bornstein said:
smkettner said:
There is even a chart on the Leaf forum giving all of the indicators for all the known EV's so that you can tell if a car is finished charging.

I spent some time googling for that but found nothing.
Do you have a URL for me ?

Try: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13481&hilit=charging+indicators&start=0

and look at the last post on the page.

Back