Fix A Flat kit

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningmay

Had my first flat tire. Used the supplied fix a flat kit. Works like a charm...BUT had to have the wheel rebalanced....All is good.

However, I was informed that TOYOTA does not offer a replacement for the fix a flat solution. You have to biy the whole kit...air compressor and all...for about 135 + tax. Is that really so?

Unfortunately, i have heard that it is true :( . Check on Amazon. There is a product called "SLIME" that makes a whole line of inflators. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-70005-Safety-7-Minute-12-Volt/dp/B001DZFZPG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1407165433&sr=8-6&keywords=slime+tire+inflator

is under $40 :D . There was a thread on this in the past. I have been told that you have to have the tire dismounted, the hole plugged and the pressure sensors cleaned within 50 miles of the repair.

I recommend plugging the hole in the tire and using a normal 12 volt air pump.

That slime stuff is both expensive and hard on the over $100 tire pressure sensors.

A plug kit is $10 for a dozen plugs.

A 12 volt pump is $40.

The fix a flat kit uses slime. By just the tire pressure sensor safe slime from Amazon for $10.

Or buy the kit from tesla for $50. Just Google tesla tire inflator kit.

Or just pull the tire and plug it like Tony is suggesting. That's the pro solution.

Why is it these Geolanders seem to pickup crap like crazy where as the Ecopia's don't really seem to have a problem?

I'm pushing 10k miles on my Rav already in 6 months and every single tire has plugs and 1 completely shredded and got replaced.

My Leaf and Ecopias are still going! :lol:

I do carry the Fix-A-Flat in the cars and it has saved me on the Rav.

Or be an AAA member and call for a tow.

I got Premium so that there would not be any issue if needed tow if car is broken down beyond 5 miles away from home.

For the money, resulting in no stress.

Anyone want to buy my Tesla/Rav tire kit? :D

Oh, you are in NY state. I don't want to ship it, if you were local (Silicon Valley), you could have pick it up for me.

The kit can damage the sensor. Why even use it? Even Tesla's manual said to tow the car and only use the kit on Emergency only. I doubt this kit for Toyota is any different.

branstone said:
I have 27,000 miles over 18 months and the stock tires are still great, plenty of tread....

Did I miss something? I thought we were talking about fix-a-flat kit.

TonyWilliams said:

That slime stuff is both expensive and hard on the over $100 tire pressure sensors.

A 12 volt pump is $40.

I am such an idiot when it comes to anything like this for cars. Are plug kits and a pump such generic items that I don't need additional info to find them with ease at the local hardware store?

BerkeleyGirl said:
TonyWilliams said:

A 12 volt pump is $40.

I am such an idiot when it comes to anything like this for cars. Are plug kits and a pump such generic items that I don't need additional info to find them with ease at the local hardware store?
I've never used it, but a quick search found this for $9, which I'm sure is what they're talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8

mikegerard said:
The fix a flat kit uses slime. By just the tire pressure sensor safe slime from Amazon for $10.

Or buy the kit from tesla for $50. Just Google tesla tire inflator kit.

Or just pull the tire and plug it like Tony is suggesting. That's the pro solution.

Which slime is TPMS safe? Is it advertised as such?

miimura said:
BerkeleyGirl said:
TonyWilliams said:

A 12 volt pump is $40.

I've never used it, but a quick search found this for $9, which I'm sure is what they're talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8

Yep, that's it. After plugging and pumping the tire with air, it may still leak but that should slow the leak a lot.

You will then need to have the tire patched on the inside with the plug in place when you can. I've been very lucky with plugs without this step, but I would not suggest this step be skipped. Of course, you can do that a day later or month later.

The car should have the tire pump.

TonyWilliams said:
If I'm not mistaken, the included pump does not have any way to connect directly to the tire, only through the slime container and its hose to the tire.

miimura said:
TonyWilliams said:
If I'm not mistaken, the included pump does not have any way to connect directly to the tire, only through the slime container and its hose to the tire.
Correct - you can't use the air compressor without the slime container. I tried to use it last night, but the hole was too big so the slime just ran out and I had to call AAA (didn't want to leave car overnight at a dealer from from home). Instead of buying a replacement bottle of slime and compressor, I'm going to keep the empty slime container and used compressor, and get some tire plugs as Tony suggested.

OK I needed the compressor today and no way was I going to use the slime.

Is there an inflator that is known to fit in the OEM space?

smkettner said:
OK I needed the compressor today and no way was I going to use the slime.

Is there an inflator that is known to fit in the OEM space?
Here's the inflator and the plug kit I bought on Amazon after assessing reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZF6P6YY
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQ1IOS4/

They both fit nicely into the flat tray space immediately behind the rear seats, under the cargo mat.

Back