Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Braxus said:
Wonder if that's what's wrong with mine (bad gateway ECU). I was able to drive it to the dealership okay here.
Hopefully, it's something more readily fixable than that cos I just heard today that the gateway ECU is on back order and not likely available until mid February. Toyota National is involved but they may not be able to do much about the situation.

I am tremendously disappointed that this thread is still alive, and owners are still having problems. This shows that Toyota and Tesla do not have their collective act together, and dooms the car for out-of-state use, IMO. At one time I was very psyched about it, but no longer.

With Toyota National's involvement, things may be moving! I got a ring from the dealership that they expect to have to part in by next week instead of waiting until Mid February.

Also got the Check EV System message. Once last week and then four times today. My wife is the primary driver of our RAV4EV, so it's doubly bad that she might get stranded out there. As an engineer, I can handle the occasional bug, but not cool if it's her that is driving the flaky car. Anyone have this problem serviced at Santa Maria Toyota, and were they a competent service team?

shikataganai said:
I am tremendously disappointed that this thread is still alive, and owners are still having problems. This shows that Toyota and Tesla do not have their collective act together, and dooms the car for out-of-state use, IMO. At one time I was very psyched about it, but no longer.

This car has always been a compliance car designed to pat both Tesla and Toyota on the back and solve several marketing and PR opportunities, this was clear before the car was even shown in public as a prototype. That in mind clearly there would be a chance of issues for a conversion built in such low numbers. In addition everyone that bought the car for use outside CA really can't complain for any lack of service outside the state, they knew it was a CA car only. End of story on that point. Toyota does need to do a better job of fixing issues as well, I think Toyota is getting payback in a way and going to need to feel the pain for dong the bare minimum.

sunmiles said:
Also got the Check EV System message. Once last week and then four times today. My wife is the primary driver of our RAV4EV, so it's doubly bad that she might get stranded out there. As an engineer, I can handle the occasional bug, but not cool if it's her that is driving the flaky car. Anyone have this problem serviced at Santa Maria Toyota, and were they a competent service team?
I haven't seen anybody on this forum talking about Toyota of Santa Maria or even San Luis Obispo. However, DCH Oxnard has done significant work on some members' cars with good results. However, it's about at the limit of the RAV's range from Santa Maria, so definitely a stretch to go there just for service. Santa Barbara and Lompoc are not even EV Certified Dealers. I'd say if you bought the car at Toyota of Santa Maria, then take it back there for the repair.

so I got this message for the first time today after charging my car. I called to see if the service dept was open and they were and i drove it there- they had no appts available today.

the message disappeared and they decided to tell me to just keep driving it and see if the message appears again.
or if i hear strange sounds.

hoping this is the way to deal with this issue. didn't have time to read through all the thread yet.
seems like there are a lot of off the main topic messages to sort through-

any advice?

My RAV4EV had that warning light and the car wouldn't start. When the tow truck finally arrived, I gave it one last try and it started. However, after going into the shop two weeks ago I was told the gateway ECU needed to be replaced. It was supposed to be completed today, but they called yesterday and said the gateway ECU was backordered until mid February as noted by ehelmholtz. Hey ehelmholtz, maybe they are sending you the unit I was supposed to get! :lol:

Anybody heard from Corporate why these units aren't in stock or why they cannot be built in a timely fashion? Anybody know to whom we can complain?

jocaroth said:
....the gateway ECU was backordered until mid February as noted by ehelmholtz. Hey ehelmholtz, maybe they are sending you the unit I was supposed to get! :lol:
Anybody heard from Corporate why these units aren't in stock or why they cannot be built in a timely fashion? Anybody know to whom we can complain?
Wouldn't that be interesting :p but I doubt it because I heard from the dealership just before Christmas that it wasn't there yet and have not heard anything more since! I suspect that despite assurances, I'll likely end up having to wait it out too. I suggest that you call the 800 number and file a case.

I figured they'd be changing their tune with you too. I've got a case filed now with the 800 number. Thanks and good luck!

I hope all of you have filed a report with NHTSA about the Gateway ECU problem. That's the quickest way to get all of them recalled, and it sounds like it's a ticking time bomb in every car at this point. I'm sorry to hear it is taking them so long.

jspearman said:
I hope all of you have filed a report with NHTSA about the Gateway ECU problem. That's the quickest way to get all of them recalled, and it sounds like it's a ticking time bomb in every car at this point. I'm sorry to hear it is taking them so long.

What is the phone number to call - for my situation, they are still planning to diagnose the problem, which they haven't done yet- the Toyota service dept I went to is very busy due to the holidays. They said they plan to look at my car tomorrow.

Another day without a car (the RAV4 EV is my only car).

starlight said:
jspearman said:

What is the phone number to call - for my situation, they are still planning to diagnose the problem, which they haven't done yet- the Toyota service dept I went to is very busy due to the holidays. They said they plan to look at my car tomorrow.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

jspearman said:
While I agree that the Gateway ECU and some other items on the RAV4 EV are problematic beyond reason, I would personally not make a NHTSA report unless the car lost power under motion or created some other unsafe condition. The "File a Safety Complaint" page referenced above is for "safety-related defects". The car simply not coming READY when you try to start it is not a Safety-Related Defect to me. JMHO.

miimura said:
While I agree that the Gateway ECU and some other items on the RAV4 EV are problematic beyond reason, I would personally not make a NHTSA report unless the car lost power under motion or created some other unsafe condition. The "File a Safety Complaint" page referenced above is for "safety-related defects". The car simply not coming READY when you try to start it is not a Safety-Related Defect to me. JMHO.
Agree completely. Please don't clog NHTSA w/non-safety defects. However, if there is some non-conformance w/FMVSS, please file them.

BTW, unfortunately, due to the thickheaded attitude of some Tesla owners/fanboys, some REFUSE to report legitimate safety defects on their Teslas (for which other vehicles have been recalled for before such as "stalling"/losing power, failing windshield wipers, etc.). Take a look at some of the response to my posts at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/17929-Right-front-door-popped-open-while-driving?p=364100&viewfull=1#post364100 and http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/21238-Main-Battery-and-12V-battery-failure-in-the-middle-of-the-intersection/page2?p=436621&viewfull=1#post436621, for example. One of my response to the guy w/failed wipers at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/21666-Scary-amp-not-great-PR-BUT-extraordinary-service ended up getting carved out into another thread at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/21682-When-to-report-NHTSA-issues.

Those yahoos seem to believe that failures are often "random", shouldn't be reported and that they'd be better off "protecting" Tesla by not reporting to NHTSA. Unfortunately, the downside to this is potential recall class issues (that might affect other Tesla-based vehicles) from being discovered/surfaced. Extend this logic to all other automakers...

No other car forum I've ever been on has had such an attitude of discouraging the reporting of legitimate safety defect reports to NHTSA.

cwerdna said:
Agree completely. Please don't clog NHTSA w/non-safety defects. However, if there is some non-conformance w/FMVSS, please file them.
I don't think most people know what "non-conformance with FMVSS" means. However, I think people know when their car has a failure that creates an unsafe situation. I think that is a very simple standard to use to decide whether to report something to NHTSA.

starlight said:

The dealership should provide you with a free loaner as your car is in for a warranty related issue.

My car has been with Toyota Palo Alto and they still can't get back to me on what the issue is with the car. :( Been three weeks now. Tried calling Toyota HQ to escalate the problem but they're apparently closed today.

Braxus said:
starlight said:

The dealership should provide you with a free loaner as your car is in for a warranty related issue.

My car has been with Toyota Palo Alto and they still can't get back to me on what the issue is with the car. :( Been three weeks now. Tried calling Toyota HQ to escalate the problem but they're apparently closed today.

Thanks- a friend of mine suggested that I ask to speak to a service manager-
the dealer (stevens creek toyota) told me that they have no loaner cars and that all they can offer are rental cars at a lower price than "normal" - whatever that means!

I keep checking my entune app to see if they have begun working trying to diagnose the issue- i saw that they started something this morning. at one point my range said that all was left was - - whatever that meant, then it went back to what it is supposed to be- if they are working on it and trying to get it to charge up, definitely they haven't resolved the issue since it has not shown that anybody has been charging the car !

The service adjustor said he would get back to me around 5 or 530 - which is very late for me- i am going to call again about 4 pm-

Hope they get your issue resolved.
do you know the phone number to call at the Toyota HQ?

thanks much
Happy New Year!

Back