Bodywork

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

Go figures, the day I made my last lease payment, I was rear ended by another driver. Should I be worried about having bodywork done to the car due to them baking the battery?

If the rear quarter panel(s) are damaged, it will be an expensive repair and the whole car will have to be baked. It will be fine if they leave the car on because the battery will be cooled. That will probably weird them out because they would never leave a gas car running in the oven. The rear door and bumper cover can be painted off the car and baked separately. Encourage them to do that.

I had mine baked with no issues - replaced tailgate and bumper cover, painted tailgate, bumper cover and rear quarter panels for good color match on the blizzard pearl. Bake temp was 140°F or something just below that - gets hotter in the sun in desert areas. I did check with Toyota and they were okay with baking not to exceed a certain temp. (145°F I think). I made the repair shop put the max bake temp in the repair documents to be sure they did not exceed the max. Overall it was a non-issue I just wanted the shop to document their awareness of the limits / requirements. That was a year ago and no issues since. Beware their BS stories like "we take out the battery," etc.

Back