ALL POSTS - GOM - Range Meter - Distance To Empty meter

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this has been discussed in another area, but.....

I just purchased my 2013 RAV4 EV two weeks ago and love it.
I have a question for other owners on what you all are finding as far as range showing on the display.
When I bought the car it was displaying 145 miles after being charged by the dealer for me to pick it up the day of purchase. I have not be able to charge it up to that level again. It completes charging and says only 131 or 132. Sorry for my confusion but I am new to this and wondered what others experiences were. Is the max range that the car gets up to based on the charger you are using?

I am using a Leviton EVB40-PST charger at home, but I find the same max range of 131 when charging at on a ChargePoint charger in a parking garage.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Yes, actually this has been discussed many times on this forum but I will give you a short answer.
The range displayed is just a guess (nick named the Guess o Meter or GoM) of how much range you have based on how much electricity you have left in your battery and your driving habits.
For example:
Driver 1 and 2 both have 50% electricity left in their battery.
Driver 1 drove 80 MPH from 100% all the way down to 50% with his AC on the whole time (not efficient)
Driver 2 drove 50 MPH from 100% all the way down to 50% without his AC on the whole time (efficient)

Even though both drivers have 50% electricity left, the GoM will tell Driver 1 that he has 40 miles left, whereas the GoM will tell Driver 2 he has 60 miles left.

Many will tell you to mostly ignore the GoM and just look at how many bars of electricity you have left and your avg mi/kwh. However I still use my GoM.

Congrats on the car, glad you love it as much as most of us do :)

Charger types have no bearing on your max battery capacity or range at all.

Another explanation is that when the dealer delivered fully charged car to you, they used "Extended charge", which is 100% of the battery. After you received the car on your own, all of your charging was using "Normal charge", which is 80% of the battery. 80% charge mode is for battery longevity, as fully charging the battery degrades it faster.

I can only get the GOM (Range meter) to about 120 miles on normal charge, and ~140 miles on Extended charge.

If you use RavCharge you can get a clearer picture than offered by the car's instrumentation of how much electricity is in your pack and how that will translate to range at a given driving efficiency:

7yApxv2.png

Awesome everyone. Thanks for the advise. Sounds like my car is telling me it knows I'm new to this and I don't drive as efficient ;)
This cars are getting smarter!

By the way I have not yet take it off extended range mode, so the 131 vs 145 disparity is all on Extended Range.

I will try out RavCharge

Thanks again everyone!
Sorry for the duplicate post of this topic

PetalumaParsons said:
Awesome everyone. Thanks for the advise. Sounds like my car is telling me it knows I'm new to this and I don't drive as efficient ;)
This cars are getting smarter!

By the way I have not yet take it off extended range mode, so the 131 vs 145 disparity is all on Extended Range.

I will try out RavCharge

Thanks again everyone!
Sorry for the duplicate post of this topic
FYI due to a limitation with Entune and the car itself, RavCharge can't give you any information about how much energy/range you have beyond the 35kwh normal charge capacity (just like the battery bars on the left of the dash stay "full" until you drop below the normal charge level.)

You really shouldn't have the car in Extended mode unless you need all that range - it's kind of alarming that it was apparently sitting like that at the dealer too. Hopefully it didn't sit with a full extended charge for a very long time.

When the dealer did the last "extended" charge, he may have disconnected/reconnected your regular 12V battery to reset the car's electronics. This, in turn, resets the car's computer that controls the default range display. The result will be a much higher reading of ~142 miles on the range display. This is new EV owner "trickery" at its finest! The dealer may have done this intentionally so he can be first to point out to a new RAV4 EV owner how much extended charge driving range is possible just for the bragging rights. :mrgreen:

I recently started my EV and saw LO on my GOM despite recently charging it. As I sat there contemplating what this meant the range very slowly started to increase. By the time I got my cell phone out to take a picture it was up to 13 in the photo below.

1217131644_zpsf0db7e3b.jpg

The range kept going up, but very slowly. I decided to turn off the vehicle and restart. As soon as it restarted the GOM was back up to what I expected after recently charging.
1217131646_zps350153b7.jpg

It has run fine in the week since it happened, hopefully it's not a sign of looming trouble.

When I picked the ev up from the dealer they charged it in extended mode. The range displayed on the dash indicated 125 mile range.

I charged at home for the first time last night in standard mode. The range indicated on the display is 115 miles. Is this correct and accurate?

I thought it charges to 80% in standard or 100 mile range and then charges to 100% extended or 110 mile range? Am I missing something here?

As you drive more, the RAV4 EV adapts to your driving pattern and efficiency. If you did an extended charge now, you would likely get much greater than 125 miles.

Driven very efficiently - no fast acceleration, no climate control, moderate speeds, or downhill for long distances with regenerative braking mode on - the RAV4 can do 115 miles on a standard charge. The lower EPA ratings are based on the average of 5 different driving scenarios; many (most?) of us exceed those ratings on a day to day basis, but by how much depends on our driving style. The numerical range reading is just a guess of the effective range based on the way the RAV has been recently driven. The 16 blocks on the curve next to the range meter show how much power the battery still has in standard mode.

Don't be disappointed, after turning on the heater in "normal" mode or switching the RAV into Sport Mode and driving it like the Tesla it is, if that number decreases dramatically. It then can take a few days of efficient driving before the "guess-o-meter" inches back up.

Enjoy your new RAV! Looks like lots of new folks jumping on board with those great lease deals going on.

Don't pay attention to the "miles remaining" gauge - we call it the "guess-o-meter" (GOM) because it's known for strange and unpredictable behavior. It uses some unknown algorithm based on your past driving and whether the A/C or heater's on or off and who knows what else to estimate your range. But your next drive may be nothing like your last few drives, or you might turn the heater on or off later, etc.

So it's much more valuable just to know how much energy's in your battery, then you can use that information together with your own best estimate of how efficiently you're going to drive and how much you'll use the heater or A/C to figure out how much range you can expect.

Unfortunately the only way the car lets you know how much energy's in your battery is to just count how many bars you have, but with RavCharge you can see precisely how much energy's in your battery, and calculate your range yourself by choosing your projected driving efficiency. In time you'll get a sense of what type of efficiency you can expect with given driving conditions, and you can also take a look at Tony's range chart (which I've integrated into RavCharge) to help you plan.

718bklynboy said:
When I picked the ev up from the dealer they charged it in extended mode. The range displayed on the dash indicated 125 mile range.

I charged at home for the first time last night in standard mode. The range indicated on the display is 115 miles. Is this correct and accurate?

I thought it charges to 80% in standard or 100 mile range and then charges to 100% extended or 110 mile range? Am I missing something here?

When i took delivery of the RAV4EV from Longo Toyota, the GOM ( guess o meter) is posting 145 miles.
anyway, long story short..
as others have already mentioned, just ignore the posted number.

On a standard charge, every morning i' looking at 90- 99 remaining miles. it also depends on the temperature.

BUT since i commute at least 80 miles a day, i'm pretty sure i'm getting more than a 100 a day. ( without charging in-between) based on my trip A meter which i always set to zero.

i charge every night.

Thanks for the replies. I'm loving this EV, it is a tight, quick, and fun to drive little SUV. I'm impressed. After draining the battery completely to within 3 miles left on the GOM, plugged in last night charged in standard mode, display reads 105 miles this morning.

I drive very aggressively, it seems it likes to be driven, so I have no problem doing so. However, I am getting very good range, seems accurate. Even with my driving style, the range is there. Commuting about. 65 miles round trip. So far very happy and impressed with it.

Thanks again for the replies.

Hello,

I got my Rav about ten days ago and I absolutely love it. I've been reading all the threads about Guess-o-Meter and I get it that you can't put much if any stock in the estimate. So my question is just out of curiosity. I live in the foothills. So every day, when I leave, I can get a pretty decent score as I roll down the mountain (mostly shifted into B) and I often pick up an extra mile by the time I get on the highway. But every time I return, I have to go up the hill and I get the worst scores. Since I've gotten the car, the range has depleted daily. When I first got it, a regular charge got me about 82 miles. Now a regular charge gets me 46. (And it drops a bit every day.) When I drive it, it obviously does not reflect this. The other day I drove 18 miles and the range only depleted by 11 miles. You would think that fact alone would cause it to start adjusting back up again. Obviously, with all the chatter about this thing, the GoM is crap. Even though I know that, it still annoys me every time I look at it. I thought about pulling the battery cable to reset it but I'm guessing it will just start over and deplete every day again. Instead I'm just waiting for it to hit bottom so I start making calculations based on whatever way-too-low number it finally lands on.

So my question is this: Do you think my GoM is so far off because I have to drive up the hill at the end of every trip? Shouldn't it average for all my trips down the hill too? Is anyone else's as bad as mine? Curious to hear what the lowest daily regular charge is out there.

Thanks.

sanders1 said:
So my question is this: Do you think my GoM is so far off because I have to drive up the hill at the end of every trip? Shouldn't it average for all my trips down the hill too? Is anyone else's as bad as mine? Curious to hear what the lowest daily regular charge is out there.
Yes. Definitely. Living on a hill really messes up the GOM. I have noticed the same thing. My elevation change between home and work is only about 200 feet, but I typically can get 5mi/kWh downhill and only 2.5mi/kWh coming home. When I'm just going back and forth to work, my GOM typically shows 86mi with a standard charge. One day I hit all the lights coming home and only had to stop at two stop signs and got 4mi/kWh going uphill. The next morning my GOM said 95mi. When I drive longer distances on the weekend the GOM shows much more range. For example, I drove 95 miles on Saturday at an average of 3.3mi/kWh and this morning the GOM said 101mi.

In any case, it's always conservative, so that's better than the alternative.

I live in hilly country and have found the GOM to be pretty accurate over LONG durations. It cannot predict then next 20 miles so it uses an unpublished algorithm to average over the past.
When I drive freeway, I have found that it is about 10% conservative. My summer time (Seattle) rate is about 3.1 mi/kwh and my winter is about 2.6.
I recommend just driving with it for a couple of thousand miles and you will start to see where it is too conservative and where it is pretty close. Just don't bet on it especially if the drive plan calls for something unusual; steep hills, quick accelerations, high speed.
You can reset the mi/kwh average by holding down the top of the steering wheel button that toggles through the displays when in the driving efficiency display.

Sounds like you're probably right that it weights that last bit of uphill driving more than the rest, but there's really no sense in trying to figure the thing out. Just ignore it - tape something over it so you can't see it if that helps. :lol:

In time you'll figure out what your expected efficiency (miles/kwh) is for a given drive, and you can just combine that with how many bars you have to estimate your range. If the 16 bars aren't precise enough for you, you can sign up for RavCharge and get a 0-100% number instead, plus it'll do the math for you to calculate your "real" range.

This is my first post here. I've had my EV for only one week now. It's awesome so far (except for the issue of the Charge Mgmt and Eco Dashboard not functioning on Entunes).

My question to the group is re the max range after a charge. For the first week, I charged at night using the 110V unit that came with the car. When it had enough time, it fully charged to a max range of 123 (not using the extended charge).

Last night I used the Siemens VersiCharge (240V/30Amp) for the first time. I plugged in around midnight and unplugged this morning (so, it should have had ample time to fully charge the car). The range was 110.

In both instances, the climate control is off.

Am I missing something? :?:

Back