ALL POSTS about Charge Timer Failure

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yblaser said:
My car actually charged successfully last night, but only because of the firmware bug that causes it to start way too early. In this case just before midnight.
If my theory is correct - that the 31st bug causes the Next Departure to jump to the 1st, then you did not actually see the bug. However, I'm often wrong. Just ask my wife.

miimura said:
yblaser said:
My car actually charged successfully last night, but only because of the firmware bug that causes it to start way too early. In this case just before midnight.
If my theory is correct - that the 31st bug causes the Next Departure to jump to the 1st, then you did not actually see the bug. However, I'm often wrong. Just ask my wife.

Mine failed to charge. It would have started after midnight on July 31.

I have updated firmware from when they last worked on my car (which is frequently!).

TonyWilliams said:
Mine failed to charge. It would have started after midnight on July 31.

I have updated firmware from when they last worked on my car (which is frequently!).
Well, that's very disappointing. Do you know if you have the firmware mentioned by Sheldon Brown?

miimura said:
yblaser said:

I must have been a bit sleepy this morning, because I looked back at my entune email and my whole house energy monitor and charging actually started at ~12:20am this morning. So unless there is also a DST bug, it should have failed. No firmware updates since I bought the car in March.

I didn't get a chance to see if it would fail for me on the 31st because I didn't plug-in to charge, however thanks to Augustus we get to see this again in 31 days

I did however experience what I think is a different timer bug. I plugged in on 29th and car started charging immediately even though the timer was set. I've had pretty reliable charging the for almost two months. I've been in a steady rhythm of only charging at home and charging every 2 or 3 days. What was different in this case was 3 days elapsed of no charging (instead of 1 or 2). I stopped the charging by unplugging it and plugged it back in and it didn't resume charging. It correctly charged the following morning.

My theory is that after 3 days it "forgot" that my charger was 240V and decided it needed to start charging immediately.

arnold

I did however experience what I think is a different timer bug. I plugged in on 29th and car started charging immediately even though the timer was set.

Are you sure it was actually charging? Ours will occasionally make the full "charging noises" for 20-30 seconds after being plugged even if the charge timer is set. However, the LEDs above the charge connector still blink the charge timer pattern (#1 and #2 blinking back and forth) instead of the charging pattern (#1 blinking and #2 off if the batteries are charging and below half strength, #1 solid and #2 blinking if the batteries are charging and above half strength), and then things go back to normal 30 seconds later. No idea what it's doing there.

eschatfische said:
I did however experience what I think is a different timer bug. I plugged in on 29th and car started charging immediately even though the timer was set.

Are you sure it was actually charging? Ours will occasionally make the full "charging noises" for 20-30 seconds after being plugged even if the charge timer is set. However, the LEDs above the charge connector still blink the charge timer pattern (#1 and #2 blinking back and forth) instead of the charging pattern (#1 blinking and #2 off if the batteries are charging and below half strength, #1 solid and #2 blinking if the batteries are charging and above half strength), and then things go back to normal 30 seconds later. No idea what it's doing there.
The easiest way to tell if the car is actually charging is to look at the EVSE. I see you have the EVB40, so you just look at the Yellow light. The car can only be drawing power from the EVSE if the Yellow light is on or blinking.

My car did a weird thing last night. I plugged in around 8:30pm and it almost immediately started charging. Entune sent me an email saying charging started and then another saying it completed 1/2 hr later. Then again this morning the car charged again for 1/2 hr. I didn't touch it in between. The car is set for scheduled charging to be finished at 7am. I have never experienced this behavior before. I see that @arnolddeleon just had something similar (identical?) happen.

eschatfische said:

Yes it was actually charging. The status of the EVSE showed it was drawing current and I have it logged on my power monitor. The big clue for me was I heard the contactors close on the EVSE. The RAV doesn't check EVSE by closing the contacts unlike the LEAF so I knew something was up. This is part of the its inability to correctly predict the end time, it doesn't doesn't check the voltage of the EVSE.

arnold

I've been resetting my timer at the end of the day for the next days departure and deleting the existing timer setting. It seems to work most of the time, but then last Tuesday night, it didn't charge, even after I had reset the timer for the following Wednesday when I parked the car in the garage Tuesday night.

Got tired of the delayed charger failing as the most inopportune times (like when the battery is low), so I started using the entune app to initiate charging (BWT LADWP TOU base rate is from 8pm-10am m-f and all weekend). Anyway i noticed that occasionally the entune app fails and I get a "Charge Failure Notification - our systems indicate that your RAV4 EV failed to begin charging ...", if a try again via entune it works, so its not a persistent HW failure. I wonder if this "charge failure" is the same culprit behind the delayed charge failure, but because it is not initiated via entune it does not send a notification?

Anyway i noticed that occasionally the entune app fails and I get a "Charge Failure Notification - our systems indicate that your RAV4 EV failed to begin charging ...", if a try again via entune it works, so its not a persistent HW failure. I wonder if this "charge failure" is the same culprit behind the delayed charge failure, but because it is not initiated via entune it does not send a notification?

I think they're different things. We're at three months with our RAV4 EV and, despite using it as a daily driver, have still yet to experience a single charge timer failure (I did cheat and charge it manually on the night of the 30th last month to avoid the 31st bug). On the other hand, I have had the same issue you mentioned above several times, where when trying to trigger a charge from my phone with Entune it's unable to get the car charging on the first attempt and that message gets sent. Things have always worked on the second attempt. I always chalked it up to the fact that Entune has to communicate with the RAV4 EV over the cell networks.

Also got burned on 8/31 (well aware of the 31st bug but still forgot to plan around it!). I had it set for an extended charge to drive 125 miles for a labor day weekend getaway, and woke up to see it skipped the charge. Thankfully I was away on a non-EV vacation for 7/31, so no harm there.

At least it wasn't that terrible - just delayed my departure by about 3 hours since I had the sense to check on the charge as soon as I woke up (still had to pack anyway). I'm mostly just annoyed about having to charge off-peak, since I do virtually all my charging in the 12am-6am super-off-peak window.

Someone at Toyota needs to cut me a check for the $5 or so those 24 off-peak kwh will cost me.

On 8/30, we had gone over three months of ownership, using the charge timer daily, without a single failure (with one caveat: I had manually initiated a charge on the evening on 7/30). Since we did not have any plans to drive on 8/31, I did not manually charge it on the night of the 30th, knowing that it might fail due to the 31st bug.

Sure enough, our RAV4 EV did not charge on 8/31. No failure message, no charge, looks like it didn't try.

The charge timer has worked without failure since. I have to say, you would think this would be an easy enough bug to fix. We've got the 31st on our calendar for the rest of the year, but I sure hope Toyota fixes it before that.

It's frustrating that so many of us have reported a variety of charging problems and yet Toyota seems to be steadfastly ignoring us. We can only guess how many of the other 700 or so owners are also having problems. We know that this is a compliance car and that Toyota isn't committed to them. That is a real shame. With a little effort, Toyota could have a really hot vehicle. We have no leverage :cry:

adjackson3 said:
We have no leverage :cry:

Nope! If you bought, Toyota can count it towards CARB-ZEV credits. Mission Accomplished :!:

Even cars that get Lemon Law'd, or bought-back so that the title doesn't have to reflect a Lemon Law car, still get the credits that Toyota wants and needs.

Lease returns? I won't be surprised if they just crush them.

Back