$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren said:
I completely understand they are not selling but why? Are these selling slower that other electric cars or is the entire segment slowing?
The numbers at http://www.hybridcars.com/january-2013-dashboard/ and http://www.hybridcars.com/december-2012-dashboard speak for themselves.

We should see Feb 2013 results in a few days.

The picture titled "Coming Up Short" at the end of the article at http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-spark-is-gone-whats-going-on-with-electric-cars-feature shows a very crowded small market for EVs.

I think the biggest problems are the lack of awareness and the very high upfront price vs. the ICE Rav4 besides the general obstacles that most EVs face (e.g. perception that range is too short, charging time is too long, lack of infrastructure, people being unwilling to pay for a vehicle w/way less range and longer "fueling" time (even as a 2nd car), concern about batteries, gas being too cheap, unknown resale value/depreciation, technological improvements, being unaware of benefits of BEVs, etc.). The next gen Rav4 ICE shipping now sure doesn't help either. http://www.toyota.com/rav4/#!/Welcome shows that starting at $23.3K.

I'm looking to possibly buy a Rav4 EV this weekend. Has anyone in So Cal bought one lately at Carson Toyota? If so, could you private message me with your experience there? Also, if you got a great deal somewhere else in So Cal, I'd like to know. Thanks! Looking forward to contributing to this board once I get mine! :D

Darren said:
scooter said:
Those San Diego lots have 1 fewer than they did yesterday :)

Greetings all, I have been reading this board recently while considering a purchase. Thanks to everyone who contributes, for all the useful info.

Do you mind me asking what kind of deal you received?

I'll PM you. Others with interest, please PM me. I got a nice deal and was happy with the interactions.

FreshAndClean said:
I'm looking to possibly buy a Rav4 EV this weekend. Has anyone in So Cal bought one lately at Carson Toyota? If so, could you private message me with your experience there? Also, if you got a great deal somewhere else in So Cal, I'd like to know. Thanks! Looking forward to contributing to this board once I get mine! :D

I would recommend test drives at Tustin Toyota where I got mine. They had 6-7 on the lot, so you can test drive any/all before you buy. I've done that so they know the drill. Ask for Bob. They gave me a decent incentive after some haggling beyond the toyota incentives.

BTW, we drove right up the the building in our LEAF, and first question we asked if we could plug in. Bob, said "yes, of course". Right answer, so we went in.

We asked the same question at Power Toyota Irvine. Answer was "well, it's in the back in the service bay. No there's nothing out here". Didn't quite said no, but mind as well.

Northern California dealerships offers a $8800 rebate! I work for Toyota Sunnyvale and you can PM me for details. Lease or financing...

Ronstoppable1 said:
Northern California dealerships offers a $8800 rebate! I work for Toyota Sunnyvale and you can PM me for details. Lease or financing...

Well, it's not any of the dealerships offering this; it's Toyota.

Now, lets hear what kind of discount your dealership offers (in addition to what you have no control over, like the $7500 fed tax credit, and $2500 state rebate).

Ronstoppable1 said:
$1000 below dealer invoice.
Ron,

Invoice is $48,783.00 (on a non-premium color car silver/blue)
So your price is $47,783.00 (or $3,087. off MSPR)

So basically your giving up your dealer hold back of $996.00? (2% of base MSPR) ?

Ronstoppable1 said:
Invoice is $49719 and $49914 Blizzard

I guess NADA is just lying then... (floor mats add $140. & $225. respectively to below)
ravev_zps6c510cdb.jpg

Wait.. You guys are too fast for me. I remember someone brought a Rav4EV and got $39xx dealer discount. Am I right that the math is: $49,800+$845(des)-$10K(Toyota)-$10K(gov)-$4000(dealer)=$26,645 (then add floormat).

If this is correct, then
Rav4EV's (50kWh battery) is $532.9/kWh
LEAF SL (24kWh battery) is $1114.17/kWh (using $36740-$10K(gov)
Therefore... the LEAF SL is almost twice as expensive than the Rav4EV [formula applies only to people who puts "range" at the top of their piority]

waidy said:
Wait.. You guys are too fast for me. I remember someone brought a Rav4EV and got $39xx dealer discount. Am I right that the math is: $49,800+$845(des)-$10K(Toyota)-$10K(gov)-$4000(dealer)=$26,645 (then add floormat).

You got it right, plus typical $40-$80 doc fee, sales tax on the whole price minus dealer discount only, and DMV.

Wow, it looks like the $10K walk-out offer has extended to NoCal now.
http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/dealer/specialOffers.aspx?dealer_code=04059&series=RAV4EV&incentiveId=

TonyWilliams said:
waidy said:

You got it right, plus typical $40-$80 doc fee, sales tax on the whole price minus dealer discount only, and DMV.
Wow! $4K dealer discount on top of the $10K Toyota rebate? Geez... the car's getting more interesting.

waidy said:
Wow, it looks like the $10K walk-out offer has extended to NoCal now.
http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/dealer/specialOffers.aspx?dealer_code=04059&series=RAV4EV&incentiveId=

The lease offer's with be attractive if you didn't get up to an additional $10k from State and Fed.

Heck if they offered $15k lease cash I think more people might lease. Obviously they pushing the buy more. They must not want them back if they can avoid it. I have hate to be Toyota on CPO warranty years from now.

waidy said:
If this is correct, then
Therefore... the LEAF SL is almost twice as expensive than the Rav4EV [formula applies only to people who puts "range" at the top of their piority]

Not "quite" right. You have to factor the weight in to be (more) correct. The Leaf gets substantially better MPGe over the RAV4EV. The RAV4EV gets much better range and power with a larger and more power (when needed) battery (and likely motor). The Leaf is much lighter though. Part of that lightness is the smaller size. I big chunk is that Leaf has a hybrid body of steel and aluminum, while the RAV4EV is pure STEEL baby like the cars of decades past. The RAV4EV also have more toys that add more weight. The base (stripped) Leaf to the top end (load) model have big weight difference but that smaller body and massive steel savings make a big difference. The RAV4EV is around 20% heavier compared to a loaded Leaf. Have Tesla / Toyota been able to use a lot more aluminum, carbon fiber, or carbon / metal hybrids replacing carbon fiber (lighter and stronger if you can believe it) the RAV4EV would have been even MORE amazing. I was really shocked to find how old school they went with all that steel, esp since BMW has built a huge plant in the US just to make the carbon bodys for their "i" series and then ship them all the way to Germany to finish and then bring back here to sell, at still at around the same MSRP $40-50k as the RAV4EV.

I wouldn't count the roughly $4000 (actually $3882) dealer on top of the $10K factory incentive. I purchased mine for basically $11K under MSRP. That was $50,870 -$3882 dealer discount- $7K factory incentive plus tax and license. I think the $10K in SoCal is so the dealers don't have to discount as much. My total out the door was $44,000.45. So if you can get a SoCal dealer to discount an additional grand, go for it. ;)

Bassman said:
I wouldn't count the roughly $4000 (actually $3882) dealer on top of the $10K factory incentive. I purchased mine for basically $11K under MSRP. That was $50,870 -$3882 dealer discount- $7K factory incentive plus tax and license. I think the $10K in SoCal is so the dealers don't have to discount as much. My total out the door was $44,000.45. So if you can get a SoCal dealer to discount an additional grand, go for it. ;)

Ya personally I wonder it dealers still get same profit. I'm thinking Toyota took some of it back to give to consumers instead so that Toyota can just move through them ASAP. don't know how Toyota is going to move through the necessary quantity at this rate.

jeremymc7 said:
waidy said:
If this is correct, then

Not "quite" right. You have to factor the weight in to be (more) correct. The Leaf gets substantially better MPGe over the RAV4EV. The RAV4EV gets much better range and power with a larger and more power (when needed) battery (and likely motor). The Leaf is much lighter though. Part of that lightness is the smaller size. I big chunk is that Leaf has a hybrid body of steel and aluminum, while the RAV4EV is pure STEEL baby like the cars of decades past. The RAV4EV also have more toys that add more weight. The base (stripped) Leaf to the top end (load) model have big weight difference but that smaller body and massive steel savings make a big difference. The RAV4EV is around 20% heavier compared to a loaded Leaf. Have Tesla / Toyota been able to use a lot more aluminum, carbon fiber, or carbon / metal hybrids replacing carbon fiber (lighter and stronger if you can believe it) the RAV4EV would have been even MORE amazing. I was really shocked to find how old school they went with all that steel, esp since BMW has built a huge plant in the US just to make the carbon bodys for their "i" series and then ship them all the way to Germany to finish and then bring back here to sell, at still at around the same MSRP $40-50k as the RAV4EV.
Ditto. Thanks for the clarification. The Rav4EV has a coefficient of 0.3. Do you know the number for the 2013 LEAF SL? Curious mind wants to know.

Back