Who hasn't had a battery charging problem?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeler

Forget the timer issue, I am talking about the yellow battery error light. I have never had an issue on my two RAV4s. I have Aerovironment and Clipper Creek EVSEs.

If you review the forum, it appears these issues are rampant. I bet with a little polling, we would find it is caused by an incompatibility between certain EVSE or something else simple.

FWIW, my EVSE are notoriously bulletproof models. I am betting this is isolated to something, if we could just figure out what that was.

Please provide the charging issue and brand charger for each incident. If you set timers say that too. If you have had no problems, report what EVSE you use.

No problems with my home Aerovironment/BMW charger. Have used a few Chargepoints and Clipper Creeks with no issues.

Minor issues with a Juice Bar charger. Took a while for charging to commence. I plugged it in and nothing happened. I thought it wasn't working, but had to go to my meeting. I came back to find it charging. That same charger gave my Active E trouble as well.

TonyWilliams said:
Melted pins and missed charges with Blink EVSE.

Missed charges ad nauseum with Clipper Creek CS-50 EVSE, the last of which was just a few days ago.

I have my Lemon Law arbitration on Oct 1, 2013.

Tony,

Are you going to give your Rav4 EV back? I know a lot of us will miss your insight and your pushing the envelope of what the vehicle can do.

No problems. Aeroenvironment 30A (official recommended charger for the Nissan LEAF) almost daily. No problems on others few charging opportunities , listing from most to least use:

Chargepoints
Blink
Clipper Creek
GEWattstation
(don't know any specifics on those, as they are public chargers around the area for opportunity charging from time to time).

Have never tried the Rav4ev timers.

Charlestonleafer said:
TonyWilliams said:
Charlestonleafer said:
@Tony So I assume you are thinking it's something wrong with your vehicle?

Since I don't even have a theory what caused the last failure, what else should I do?

Makes sense. What will be the next EV!?

Not sure. Probably a Tesla Model X to replace the Rav4. Not sure what I'll do in between.... a two year lease on a LEAF?

I have only had my RAV4 not charge twice, in 7 months and 6000 miles, both times, the next charge after charging at less than 20 amps. I must not have charged on the 31st yet.

Back