Water leaking into rear compartment?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmanny3

The rain we had the other day (Thursday and Friday) is the first rain that my Rav4EV has ever been driven in. I was probably out there for 30 to 45 minutes in what seemed like a real downpour. Today Saturday I was checking on some stuff I had located in the back compartment just inside the rear door. I noticed that a couple of towels were wet. I felt around and the bottom of the storage area was wet. Any ideas on how that water got into the car? I tried to see if I could pull up the mat material but the plastic components seem securely fastened. Any thoughts on what I should do? Should I take the car to Toyota?
Regards,
Manny

It's not an inherent flaw in the car. Mine's in the Seattle area and experiences rain all the time. (We call it liquid sunshine around here!)

Anyway, the only water that gets in is when I open the doors. There is always some water that drips straight down from the side doors onto the seats. There's always some that drips down from the read door too, but not enough to do what you're seeing.

Any buildup of dust or leaves or dirt along the top seal area? It's like a little shelf in the back and if the water can't flow down the side of the rear door the way its supposed to I suppose it could cause it to find another pathway.

Does water leak in after a car wash? Or are you not allowed to do that anymore?

Good luck trouble shooting the problem. Let us know what you find out.

I keep the car pretty clean. We can still go to car washes and the Rav4EV gets cleaned twice a week. I don't ever recall that area was ever wet. However, it could perhaps happen at the car wash. I am letting it air dry and will keep tabs on the next visit to the car wash. I believe the water is coming in beneath the fabric covering. If you push down in the corners it seemed to be wet. So I suspect perhaps one of the drainage plugs or perhaps missing sealant.
Manny

Most likely the antenna on the roof, mine had a leak last year. It was the gasket/seat of the antenna that wasn't sealing properly, most likely due to the antenna catching the garage door in my case.

I just noticed the same problem today. My trunk sub-compartment was soaked. I also noticed the passenger side cargo area small utility compartment (the one that has a cover on it near the hinge of the cargo door) was soaked and when I popped off the utility cover, it was just soaked with water.

Can the OP confirm that it was the antenna seal/gasket that is causing the leak?

I had the same problem. The reason was the window on the right side in the trunk. Bad glued. The local Toyota dealer fixed it. No more water into the trunk... :D

Paul

Back