Speed Sensor Check for Fluid

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcspilot

I just pulled my speed sensor. No blue liquid, but these moisture drops. Impending doom, or safe for a bit?
Car recently had charging unit changed under extended warranty, now waiting on converter for the heater also under warranty. Skeptical about keeping it because of lack of parts support even when covered under warranty, but on the other hand it is a great format for our use. Spacious enough to move small furniture, worn enough I don't mind taking to yard waste drop off etc. Heater converter part estimated to come in September.

Attachments

• tempImagehSQHKi.jpg
    tempImagehSQHKi.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tempImage1ofx2A.jpg
    tempImage1ofx2A.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 0
  • tempImageKexRqr.jpg
    tempImageKexRqr.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 0
With so little moisture, you might have caught things early. You could consider to find someone (or attempt yourself) to perform the manifold bypass modification and get quite a few more miles from your vehicle.

With so little moisture, you might have caught things early. You could consider to find someone (or attempt yourself) to perform the manifold bypass modification and get quite a few more miles from your vehicle.
Before this, it is necessary to remove the effects of coolant entering the stator and replace at least one ceramic bearing. It is useful to check other bearings and insulation resistance between the stator windings and the stator housing.

Yeah, I'm with Vlad: it needs to be at least dried out, as that is water you see along with the usual seal grease, and that water will not dry out by itself; there is no airflow in the LDU, so all moisture remains there "forever" and continues to degrade the stator insulation, which eventually renders the LDU un-repairable.

There's a small chance that all the moisture is still in the reluctor chamber and hasn't migrated to the stator cavity, but that depends on a) how long it's been wet, and b) if your LDU's reluctor chamber has the vent hole or not (they vary).

Photo credit

1721062085888.png 1721062102394.png

If your reluctor chamber has that vent, then assume some water is everywhere in the LDU.

It's best to budget to R&R the LDU and pull the rotor cover off to inspect/clean/dry out, and replace at least the outer rotor bearing (and install a "coolant delete" mod, whether off-the-shelf bolt-on, or DIY it for hundreds $$$ less).

Back