Rear bumper deforming

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

My rear bumper developed a sinkhole in the middle of the backside under the door. Has anyone seen it happen?

The rear "bumper" is just a peace of plastic (which covers the real bumper which is metal and much smaller). Its actually called the bumper cover.

the plastic cover (which wraps around the sides) actually snaps off (i've taken mine off to mount the trailer hitch). I suspect either something was dropped on yours or it was just defective. I'd point this out to the dealer if you're still under warranty, they can probably just replace the whole plastic bumper cover.

I have exactly the same issue, and I think it was there when I picked up the car. I think the suggestion about taking it to a dealer is a good one, however I backed into things a couple of times already, so my cover is already damaged a bit in other places. Don't think any dealer would now replace it, even if they don't blame the sinkhole on me.

It is the same bumper from the ICE 2012 RAV4 $100 on ebay shipping included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ready-to-be-Painted-Rear-Bumper-for-2009-2012-Toyota-RAV4-w-o-Flares-/351247715946?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51c7fece6a&vxp=mtr

4min said:
I have exactly the same issue, and I think it was there when I picked up the car. I think the suggestion about taking it to a dealer is a good one, however I backed into things a couple of times already, so my cover is already damaged a bit in other places. Don't think any dealer would now replace it, even if they don't blame the sinkhole on me.
I don't see why not. Unless it appears you caused the "sinkhole" it shouldn't matter that there is other damage. Of course I suppose there's always the chance that once the cover is removed, it may become obvious that it was caused by external force.

davewill said:
Of course I suppose there's always the chance that once the cover is removed, it may become obvious that it was caused by external force.

as stated by n3ckf

There is nothing underneath the plastic cover.
That is _it_.

Will take a few pictures and post

cossie1600 said:
My rear bumper developed a sinkhole in the middle of the backside under the door. Has anyone seen it happen?

My older rav has it, my newer doesn't (yet)

older:
older_rav_with_sinkhole.jpg

newer:
newer_rav_without_sinkhole.jpg

I do have a large and a medium dog that hop in the back of my rav daily, so that might have something to do with it ;-)

This is the view from below from my older rav with the sinkhole:
I marked in red what should be made from metal (slightly larger than I drew) in order to support the plastic to prevent it from becoming a sinkhole
In blue where the plastic got underneath a bulging metal piece that keeps the plastic down.
sinkhole_underview.jpg

The simple solution is to push the plastic up, from below with your hand , to get it unstuck.
But it will go down again

I spoke to the rep. It's a defect as there is nothing underneath it. It's the same thing in the other poster's photo. They are going to repaint the bumper and replace the skin and the black plastic above.

Here is the worst part, I will lose my HOV sticker. I hope it wont take long to get a replaement!

Back