LEVITON CHARGER EVB40-PST

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that the charge curves of different vehicles could be different because each manufacturer has a different battery management system.
In the case of the Tesla based RAV an explanation of why we might not see much taper on a regular charge cycle is that the pack is not being pushed to capacity. What I mean is that the charge curve is still in the flat section before the steep part of the charge curve. I would expect that on an extended charge the battery is being pushed more toward the knee of the curve where the battery will accept less amps as it nears 100% SOC.

Now to contradict myself, there could be a further explanation on some designs why one might observe the amperage falling off during a charge. That could be the temperature management system telling the charger to crank down the amps because the cells are getting too warm. We know the Tesla design uses an active temperature management system.

Some day we might be able to monitor the CAN bus messages between the charger and the battery managment system. When we can do that we might be able to better understand why we are seeing different amp draws during charging.

Back