Installed Fuel Door Popper From A PIP

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

I just finished installing a fuel door button, wiring and fuel door solenoid from a PIP. The parts were very hard to find! I lucked out. After posting a thread on priuschat.com someone pm'ed me and said he happened to have the exact parts and wiring that I needed. He bought them because he planned on modding his non PIP Prius but never did. I paid $80 shipped for all the parts.

If you try this make sure you get the harnesses with the button and solenoid. I am very glad I did. I thought about trying to solder a wire to the switch but that would've been extremely difficult not to mention the heat could cook the switch. So get the harnesses!

I installed a relay but Im going to take it out. The oem wires are very small so I'm sure it doesn't draw much current at all. I thought the solenoid would be more powerful and need a relay. UPDATE: I removed the relay. It really wasnt needed. If you try this mod know that the black wire on the solenoid is positive and the green is ground. I can get you the info on the wires at the switch too if you need them.

You have to modify the plastic for the switch to fit. Nothing major, you just need to trim the inside very slightly.

The door release pin on the solenoid fits into the same spot as the old one. It's a slightly different style but it works. I still need to tweak it a little on mine but it works.

You can go to my photo bucket page by following this link.

http://s59.photobucket.com/user/jimbo69ny/library/2014%20Toyota%20Rav4%20EV/Push%20button%20fuel%20door%20installation

Here are a couple photos. There are more in the link above.
20141017_185141232_iOS_zpsf5aa4c7f.jpg

20141017_193014980_iOS_zps3ebba572.jpg

Enjoy :)

Very cool. For Gen 2, a.k.a. "The Big LAZY", can you have it open as my front wheel hits a mat (or other detection device) in my garage? That way the door will be open waiting for me to plug in.
More than once I've exited the car and closed the door only to have to step back, open, and pull the lever.

It's not like someone's going to siphon the gas out of your tank; a push to open fuel door would be sufficient. Obviously it might be difficult to adapt to the current mechanism.

Ive only had this mod done for a few days and I can say I really like it. Definitely worth the money and effort. My big annoyance was that the Husky all weather floor mats covered the fuel door lever. I couldve cut the mat but I didnt want to.

So now I have a simple button thats right by the door that I push when I need a charge.

Back