Extension Cord

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vach

As I'm sure some of you do, I use the 110 cord for charging when I travel to a friend or family members house that is a reasonable distance. Occasionally, some extra cord length could really come in handy.

I know the device is labeled explicitly not to use one, and aside from buying a 3rd party one with a really long cord, what if I used a really high gauge industrial one? Like an orange fat one no longer than 10 feet?

Vach said:
As I'm sure some of you do, I use the 110 cord for charging when I travel to a friend or family members house that is a reasonable distance. Occasionally, some extra cord length could really come in handy.

I know the device is labeled explicitly not to use one, and aside from buying a 3rd party one with a really long cord, what if I used a really high gauge industrial one? Like an orange fat one no longer than 10 feet?
I have used mine with a 12 gauge 20' without any issues. The 120V supplied evse seems to draw a steady 11 amps. Don't use all the time though. I would guess voltage drop would be an issue as well as heating of plugs/contacts due to possible corrosion with older cords assemblies. I'm sure others can chime in that know more than I... :)

Sounds good. This would only be every once and a while.

I'm just having a tough time understanding how it would change anything? What's different about the wires in the wall?

The issues with an extension cord are:

a) extra length and as you noted already no real difference with what is in the wall as long as it is of sufficient gauge.
b) the part between the EVSE and the socket is *NOT* protected by the Ground Fault protection on the EVSE.
c) Gives you another place that you can unplug under load. This is an issue even w/o the cord. Don't unplug the line side of the portable EVSE if J1772 nozzle is plugged in.

I consider "b" the only real issue. It becomes a non-issue if the outlet also has GFCI protection.

Basically use a good quality extension cord, don't use one that is longer than necessary.

arnold

Write thanks for all that information! That really helps.

Will do, I'll use a 3 to 6 foot one with some kind of built in surge protection.

But as I understand, sometimes there are issues when you plug a GFCI into a GFCI... causes one to trip. That's why Mitch Wolrich over on MNL modified Chris Howell's openEVSE (when building a portable unit) with a switch to bypass the built-in GFCI circuit when plugging into a GFCI protected outlet.

Vach said:
Write thanks for all that information! That really helps.

Will do, I'll use a 3 to 6 foot one with some kind of built in surge protection.

I wouldn't worry about getting a cord with surge protection. With a 12 gauge extension cord I would be comfortable going 25' feet. Just don't use a 100' 16 gauge one.

Just make no sure one trips over the cords.

arnold

AvLegends said:
But as I understand, sometimes there are issues when you plug a GFCI into a GFCI... causes one to trip. That's why Mitch Wolrich over on MNL modified Chris Howell's openEVSE (when building a portable unit) with a switch to bypass the built-in GFCI circuit when plugging into a GFCI protected outlet.

And what did the cord do when you plug into a GFCI outlet?

The EVSE does "ground check" which could trip a really sensitive GFCI. Not much you can do there unless you have a modified EVSE. The extension cord doesn't really have anything to do with it (except you find a outlet that doesn't have GFCI). Any code compliant outdoor outlet is going to be GFCI protected.

I used the portable EVSE that came with RAV4-EV in a test for the very first time today. Plugged it an outdoor outlet with a GFCI, worked just fine.

arnold

Vach said:
AvLegends said:

And what did the cord do when you plug into a GFCI outlet?
Trip. Apparently it is very sensitive.

Well that sucks. You'd think with how expensive the included cord is, it would be amazing and have an internal switch controlled apart from the user.

Vach said:
Well that sucks. You'd think with how expensive the included cord is, it would be amazing and have an internal switch controlled apart from the user.
No... the openEVSE trips... not the supplied Panasonic EVSE. The Chris Howell designed openEVSE board has a very sensitive GFCI circuit and can trip when used with a GFCI protected circuit. That's why Mitch added the disabling switch.

On a related note, due to the physical configuration of one of the outdoor/while-in-use-covered outlets I use regularly, I decided to change the straight-exit plug on the supplied cord to a plug with a 90-degree cable exit. Since it's a mechanically-assembled plug, easy enough to disassemble & properly install the high-quality right-angle one, right? Well, not quite...
I've never seen such an over-complication of a fundamentally simple device! First of all, what on casual inspection appear to be Phillips screws are NOT - they're triad security screws, requiring a special driver. Fortunately I have a set of "security bits" (an old purchase from Harbor Freight) which contained the correct bit.
Once the two visible screws are removed, nothing moves. Ah ha! There is a black "rubber band" around the body of the plug, concealing the lateral cable-clamp bolts. Same driver as noted above; and oh yes, it better be a good one since these puppies are installed with loctite just to add a bit more of a challenge.
Sure, you could just cut off the old plug, but how much fun would that be?
Anyway, job done with the desired result - and kind of an unexpected benefit: When the new plug is inserted in the outlet, it only works in the upper socket, and precludes use of the lower one. A good thing, really, since it pulls about as much current as one should from the outlet anyway!
BTW the outlet in use is a GFCI, and there have been no issues with it tripping, or causing the one in the cord to trip.
Pete

I haven't had any problems plugging the cord into GFCI outlets with the exception of last weekend... but at that time I was using a 14AWG extension cord for stupid reasons.

After removing that cord I didn't see any problems from then on. Toyota, of course, advertises that the "cord can be used anywhere."

Back