BC2BC-2015 Mexico 2 Canada, Sep 13-20, 2015

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
waidy said:
Tony and all 2013 BC2BC EV Rally participants: Thanks for doing this exciting rally. I live in the Silicon Valley in California and have a lot of clean energy. My garage is EV ready and I will be happy to provide charging services. My 400 Amp feed provides several 40Amp charging. I have 3 reliable J-charging stations: 1 at 32Amp, 1 at 30Amp, and 1 at 75Amp. I also have four 40amp outlets: 14-50, 6-50, etc. If you have a Model S inlet in your Rav, you could use my Model S HPWC (80Amp) too.

Please let me know if I can be any service.
I might take you up on this (as I did last year!!! Thanks!).

I don't know yet what car ill be driving, but it will probably be a Rav4 EV.

We have Tesla Model S (several), Roadster, my Rav4 EV, LEAF (several), Mitsubishi iMiev, ZERO motorcycle, another motorcycle, and probably a BMW ActiveE.
Hi Tony: I was just informed by Darren that he will be driving in his Model S to LA Wednesday July 3 straight from his work place in San Francisco. Therefore, I now have 4 rooms in the main house + the guest apartment you stayed last year. I welcome any BC2BC participants to stay and use my 4 charging stations + 5x240V outlets.

waidy said:
Therefore, I now have 4 rooms in the main house + the guest apartment you stayed last year. I welcome any BC2BC participants to stay and use my 4 charging stations + 5x240V outlets.

We can fill your house up!!! I think I'll be able to do this, and I will pass on your offer to others.

Powertech Labs Inc., a Subsidiary of BCHydro, will host a Prequel Event to the BC2BC "All Electric Vehicle Rally", in addition to the Grand Opening of their new charging plaza and Tech Park. Located just 18 miles north of the BC2BC rally launch point at the Peace Arch State Park in Blaine, Washington, USA, the Prequel Event will commence at 11:30am on Friday, June 28, 2013 when Alec Tsang of BC Hydro will speak a few words about the Tech Park and its role in studying electric vehicle (EV) charging.

At 12:00am, Mayor Diane Watts will talk about the City of Surrey’s Sustainability Charter and how it pertains to EVs. At 12:30pm, a BBQ lunch is planned for about 100 people. I will be on hand to talk about electric cars and the upcoming rally that starts the following day, Saturday, June 29, 2013. The rally will start at the border of British Columbia (BC), Canada and the USA, and end at the border of Baja California (BC), Mexico and the USA nine days later, hence "BC2BC". About 12 all-electric vehicles will be participating along the West Coast Electric Highway.

Powertech is located at 12388 - 88th Avenue, Surrey, BC and now has four Level 2 - J1772 charging stations to recharge all modern day electric cars, in addition to the first public CHAdeMO DC Fast Charger in British Columbia. CHAdeMO can recharge cars like the Nissan LEAF and Mitsubishi iMiEV in about 30 minutes. Powertech is strategically located close to many businesses and services which may be useful to electric vehicle drivers while their car recharges, such as a nearby Walmart, tire and auto parts stores, shopping and dining.

Both rally vehicles and spectators to the rally launch event and concurrent International Golden Plug Ceremony will be able to use these charging stations on Friday and Saturday, June 28 and 29, 2013. The International Golden Plug Ceremony is an official celebration of the joining of the West Coast Electric Highway between Washington state and the province of British Columbia, scheduled between 11am and 1pm on Saturday, June 29, 2013, at the Peace Arch State Park in Blaine, Washington.

Powertech Labs Inc.
12388 - 88th Avenue, Surrey,
British Columbia, Canada, V3W 7R7

Phone: 604-590-6638
Web: http://www.powertechlabs.com

TonyWilliams said:
AvLegends said:
Tony... you still stopping by SZP on Sunday July 7 for a fill up?
Planning on it!! I need 240 volts at 40 amps!!!
You'll get it!
Have the CC CS-60 ready for you at my hangar. I have 2 hangars... one I rent and one that's mine. I recently moved the CS-60 from the rental hangar that has a 75 amp main panel (older service) to mine that has a 200 amp service. What a difference :shock: With the larger service and heavier tri-plex drop off my own transformer the voltage drop when the Rav kicks on is negligible. Before at the older service it had a 10 volt drop when the car started charging... now it pulls a steady 40 amps at a steady 240-242 volts... :)
Looking forward to meeting you in person Tony!

Tony... call me on the cell, 805-746-4346 when you get to town.

The airport gates are closed on weekends.

Tony, Do you have a list of charging stations that you have used when traveling up the 5 or 99 in California. I am planning on a trip up to Grass Valley in July. I am also planning a trip up to meet the rally at the San Luis Obispo stage. I have been looking at Plug Share to help me in the planning process. Do you have any suggestions. I am coming from Pasadena. I can also offer our charging station for anyone heading through Pasadena (Although it appears that Pasadena is outside the optimum travel route for the rally)

Thanks, Frederick
Classic Silver Rav4 EV
Leviton 40amp charger

PlugShare is the very best source for finding places to charge!! That's what I use, and I almost ALWAYS leave notes to help the next driver.

Going up the 101 is the only way I would consider going. The Central Valley would have to rely on RV parks to get 240v / 50a service, or charge at 2/3 speed on public 208v / 30 amp J1772.

Here I am at the Tesla Roadster charge station in Orland, CA:

null-6-1.jpg

null-7.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
PlugShare is the very best source for finding places to charge!! That's what I use, and I almost ALWAYS leave notes to help the next driver..........
Here I am at the Tesla Roadster charge station in Orlando, CA:
That would be Orland, correct?

Looks like a Roadster adapter and a J1772 plug. I know you carry a lot of adaptors. What do you need to charge at a Tesla Station?

Ampster said:
TonyWilliams said:
PlugShare is the very best source for finding places to charge!! That's what I use, and I almost ALWAYS leave notes to help the next driver..........
Here I am at the Tesla Roadster charge station in Orlando, CA:
That would be Orland, correct?

Looks like a Roadster adapter and a J1772 plug. I know you carry a lot of adaptors. What do you need to charge at a Tesla Station?

That's all you need. The Roaster receptacle to Model S plug adapter is about $650. You cut off the Model S plug and connect a J1772 rated for 70 amps or more.

If you used a hard to find 40 amp J1772, I would very clearly mark the unit that it is not for over 40 amps.

Washington State Department of Transportation
WSDOT Headquarters – P.O. Box 47322 - Olympia, WA 98504 -- 360-705-7000

MEDIA ADVISORY
June 26, 2013

Media invited to kickoff of international electric-vehicle rally
Dignitaries from Washington, British Columbia hold Golden Plug ceremony

OLYMPIA – The media is invited to attend a celebration at the Peace Arch State Park near the USA/Canada border, where a dozen electric-vehicle drivers will begin the journey from Canada to Mexico powered solely by electricity. Drivers will make the 1,500-mile, nine-day road trip – called the BC2BC (British Columbia to Baja California) – without using a drop of gas.

Join Washington Secretary of Transportation Lynn Peterson, Parliamentary Secretary to the British Columbia Premier for Intergovernmental Affairs Norm Letnick and other dignitaries for the “Golden Plug” ceremony, which symbolically connects the electric vehicle fast-charging network along the West Coast Electric Highway.

International Golden Plug ceremony and launch of BC2BC 2013

When: 10 a.m. Saturday, June 29

Where: Peace Arch State Park, Blaine, WA
(I-5 Exit 276 at USA/Canada border)

Speakers: Pete Kremen, Whatcom County councilmember
Blaine Mayor Harry Robinson
Don Hoch, director, Washington State Parks
Lynn Peterson, Washington Secretary of Transportation
Norm Letnick, Parliamentary Secretary to the British Columbia Premier for Intergovernmental Affairs
Tony Williams, BC2BC electric-vehicle rally organizer

Visuals: Several all-electric vehicles, including the Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, Mitsubishi i-MiEV and Nissan Leaf
AAA roadside-assistance truck with electric-vehicle chargers
Displays and handouts

Opportunities: Reporters may test drive an electric vehicle, go for a short ride with one of the rally participants and interview EV drivers.

Directions: Take I-5 north to Exit 276, the last exit before the Canadian border. Take second right at the roundabout on 2nd Street and follow the signs to the park. At the entrance, a parking attendant will direct you to the event.

Schedule:
10 a.m. – 1 p.m. Public display of electric vehicles; show-and-tell with EV drivers.
11 a.m. International Golden Plug ceremony.
12 p.m. Launch of all-electric vehicle rally. Crowds wave flags and cheer EV drivers leaving every five minutes.

For more information on this event visit: http://www.allelectricvehiclerally.org

Hyperlinks within the release:
West Coast Electric Highway: http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/index.htm
###
WSDOT keeps people, businesses and the economy moving by operating and improving the state's transportation systems. To learn more about what we're doing, go to http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/news for pictures, videos, news and blogs. Real time traffic information is available at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic or by dialing 511. To unsubscribe to WSDOT media releases please reply and type REMOVE in the subject line.

Back