Another one gets the crush. (BMW ActiveE)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevinL

Bad deja vu this morning. This photo was posted on the Tesla club forums of crushed BMW ActiveEs being transported. I think it's important that people are aware that this has happened. I'd like to give BMW the benefit of the doubt here and hopefully these were just a few ActiveEs that were problematic and/or otherwise total losses given the fact that BMW is repurposing some ActiveEs for car sharing programs. Hopefully BMW will explain this photo soon and that other ActiveEs will not suffer the same fate as this truck load.

activeecrushtruck.jpg

Unhappy memories...

EV1_dont_crush_protest_692.jpg

Ev1_crush5.jpg

I don't understand why they crush the cars with so many easily removable parts still in place. I would think that headlights, taillights, outside mirrors, etc. would have second hand value, especially for conversion cars like this that are based on higher volume models.

One article I read hinted this could happen to Rav4 Ev and Honda Fit Ev lease returns. With Toyota and Honda's attitude towards BEVs and the future of FCV vehicles....I wouldn't put it past them.

Hoosier said:
One article I read hinted this could happen to Rav4 Ev and Honda Fit Ev lease returns. With Toyota and Honda's attitude towards BEVs and the future of FCV vehicles....I wouldn't put it past them.

They will crush the Honda Fit EV because there is nothing else they can do with it (like BMW ActiveE, MiniE and GM EV-1).

Yes, Toyota may crush lease returns and abandon the few remaining owners.

smkettner said:
It wouldn't be hard at all for BMW to re-lease those cars. I know several people, myself included, who would be interested in a 2-year old ActiveE for a reasonable lease deal. BMW has a very robust certified pre-owned program so it would not be hard for them to administer such a thing. Granted, crushing would be inevitable here - but it's a shame that these cars couldn't at least be made to last another 2-3 years.

As a former Active E owner, that was very, very hard to see.

It was such a great little car, and in some ways, better than the i3.

Back