2015 Rav4 battery needs replacement

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12Chopin

Hello all,

I have to replace my 2015 Rav4's battery. Toyota quoted me at $38k. That is too much. Is there any other way to replace it at a decent cost?

Thanks!

I was quoted 38k a few years ago at a Toyota dealer. I've read a few posts on here that say good luck finding a new one but there's some repairing them.

Edit. Wait. I just realized that you said 2015 Rav4. The last year for Rav4 EV was 2014. 2015 didn't have a 38k High Voltage battery.

Last edited:
I was quoted 38k a few years ago at a Toyota dealer. I've read a few posts on here that say good luck finding a new one but there's some repairing them.

Edit. Wait. I just realized that you said 2015 Rav4. The last year for Rav4 EV was 2014. 2015 didn't have a 38k High Voltage battery.
I'm surprised you got a price out of Toyota for a HV battery. When mine was replaced about 5 years ago I asked for a quote and they declined to provide one since it was being covered under warranty. When I inquired further the service manager said something along the lines of "we don't have a consumer price for that battery, because we don't intend to ever sell one". I interpreted that to mean out of warranty battery replacements would simply be refused. I assumed this was universally true, though I suppose it could have just applied to that specific service center. According to the same service manager, as of 2019 Toyota/Tesla don't have any new batteries to give you - all replacements have been refurbished, as mine was.

I interpreted that to mean out of warranty battery replacements would simply be refused. [ . . . ] According to the same service manager, as of 2019 Toyota/Tesla don't have any new batteries to give you - all replacements have been refurbished, as mine was.
Well said. Nobody has reported obtaining a new HV battery for the RAV4 EV, ever. Oh, several have said they received a new battery (when a contactor failed under warranty), but when pressed the paperwork always showed they were "Reman" (repaired, hopefully) batteries instead. I say "Reman" because while my blue car's was replaced in Aug2019, five years old and 73k miles -- due to a failed contactor -- and under the original 8-year battery warranty, I just had another contactor failure on the "Reman" battery in 2024/123k miles, and when I opened up the Reman, it has the original problematic high-failure TE contactors and not the later Gigivac-sourced replacements that a true Reman battery should have received in 2019, by which time Tesla (who supplies the Reman parts for our cars, not Toyota) had been replacing the original Model S/X contactors for several years and well knew of their high failure rate.

So, even if you could persuade Toyota to sell you a HV battery -- and I'm sure you can't, they will say that it's NLA -- there haven't been any new ones made for years, and the Reman ones weren't truly remanufactured, so they'd be a bad buy, IMO.

Outside of physical damage and neglect (leaving the battery at a very low SOC for years, for example), the HV batteries have held up pretty well. Used packs have come on the market in the last two years for well under $2k (I've nearly bought one, twice) but they're expensive to ship, and of course you never know what condition they're in at that price. Packs sold by battery repair facilities, such as Recell, are a lot more expensive, but have been scrutinized better than random JY packs at bargain prices.

No, Model S battery modules will not fit the RAV4 EV.

Back