TPMS Reset Question

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eplantz

I bought a complete of snow tires/wheels/TPMS sensors from Discount Tire.

They have tried twice to reprogram the TPMS system and seem to have failed. They claim the tool can read each sensor and get a pressure. I saw them hook the tool up to the OBD2 port and do something. They said I need to drive it for a while. I have driven it 20 miles since the last attempt. I have a solid tire-light.

Is there something special with the EV to get the system reprogrammed or they are just not doing it right??

I had the same issue. I bought 4 used OEM Toyota TPMS sensors for my snow tires. PN PAXPMV107J, Pmv-107j http://www.ebay.com/itm/251637137298

When Discount Tire tries to program them, they cannot. They can read each sensor, but when the hook their tool to the OBD2 port, it doesn't allow writing them to the car computer.

They said the same, that they might just reprogram automatically after I drive a bit. It hasn't happened yet after 50 miles of driving.

The Toyota dealer wants $144 to program up the TPMS, which is 3 minutes of work. At that price, I can live with the warning light on the dash.

eplantz said:
They have tried twice to reprogram the TPMS system and seem to have failed. They claim the tool can read each sensor and get a pressure. I saw them hook the tool up to the OBD2 port and do something. They said I need to drive it for a while. I have driven it 20 miles since the last attempt. I have a solid tire-light.

I PMed eplantz and he couldn't get his car reprogrammed either. Black tape over the dummy light was the solution. Has anyone successfully replaced or reprogrammed their TPMS?

Putting new tires and wheels on this week. I was thinking of picking up TPMS. sensots from ebay and wanted to know if I was going to have a problem getting them programmed.

Realize this is an odd thread. Any new info?

I bought OEM TPMS Sensors for my snow tires at ebay and asked for the code (hexadecimal number) then I could program them with techstream.
Don`t forget to write down (or save) the code for the summer tires!
kind regards

Clemens

AFAIK, the solution is to use the Toyota Techstream software to update the TPMS sensor IDS stored in the car's ECU.

I resolved this by following the procedure demonstrated here.
https://youtu.be/MECPSmg5JfI

I used the Mini VCI product sold here.
https://www.obd2eshop.com/wholesale/mini-vci-single-cable-for-toyota.html

TechStream can do it. Because I maintain a few cars, some of which are not Toyotas, I bought a dedicated Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 diagnostic & programming tool. It can read each of the sensors, then plugs into the OBDII port and sends the sensor IDs to the TPMS module. Unlike some other TPMS tools, it knows how to correctly unlock the Toyota TPMS module, something that is unique to Toyota.

My tale is here, with pics.

Back