To buy or not to buy

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningmay

I test drove the RAV 4 EV at Walnut Creek. I was planning on leasing it this weekend......untill I came across this forum and the discussion of the cars just shutting down in the middle of a road/highway. I brought this to the dealers attention. They assured me everything was based off 'older models' and that there are no issues with 'newer models.'

Thanks for discussing it thoughtfully. I am in the unsure category at this time. Have the problems decreased since they were first noticed?

It is a great vehicle and very reliable. Get the lease deal over the purchase.

Gas or EV can have a defect so don't let the bad stories from the past bother you too much.

To some extent, EV means experimental vehicle as well as electric vehicle. That is a little more true for the RAV4 than some of the others because the RAV4 is a low production compliance car. Most of us think that is pretty cool and we enjoy being part of the experiment.

The risk of something really bad or really inconvenient happening seems pretty low - I'd put that at about 5% or less during the first year of ownership based on the collective experiences relayed in this forum. Most of us have also had pretty good support from authorized Toyota EV dealers / servicers.

Any forum will discuss issues with a vehicle. That's a big reason why they are there. Most people don't post a topic like "my car running great again day after day, any advice?" The RAV 4EV is a great car, has tons of range and features, and will get most people's driving done without any range anxiety or car anxiety. If you liked the test drive and like the car, and it is a good fit for your driving habits, don't let this forum hold you back. In fact, it should spring your forward.

Being on this forum makes you aware of issues that you might not notice otherwise. For example, my car is starting to have motor hum between 62 and 69 mph. It just gets a little louder (so the motor noise is louder than the road noise). I'm aware of it because of this forum. My wife is the primary driver and she does not seem to notice it. If I was not on this forum I would not know it was a problem and would not think about getting the motor replaced.

Mike

The 2500 Calif rebate is reducing to 2000 on July 1. Edit: The rebate remains $2500!

Did you get Dianne's deal at Walnut Creek? Hayward (Costco referral) gave me Dianne's deal so I didn't try WC.
WC is said to be good for EV service. I live in Danville.

-Rick

Thanks everyone.

I did lease it yesterday form Roseville. Got the 12000 miles/year @ $299/month (330 with taxes and fees) with 3999 down. WC folks were not honoring that deal. They added on a zillion fees and taxes (6800 down and 350/month...added $300 for floor mats and $350 for the white color car). Roseville also gave me a much better rate for my trade in and their customer service was top notch. I would highly recommend Toyota of Roseville. No bait and switch, very friendly staff, they honor what they say.

I am using the stock charging cable and its SLOOOOOW. I need to get the leviton or a 240 volt outlet and the JESLA.

What is Diannes deal?

CONGRATS!!!

What size amperage L2 EVSE are you looking to get. I will soon have a 240V 32A, 7.7kW Levitan (specific model no. given below) for sale in perfect condition if you're interested. It completes a recharges of my RAV4 in about 4 hours. It has a 24' output J1772 for a "long reach" (driveway) charging application.. I will include the wall mounting bracket and input cord with an RV Park style plug (NEMA 14-50P). I paid well over $1000 for it uninstalled about 1-1/2 years ago (purchased from Home Depot Online), but will sell for $750; almost half what I paid for it. I live in San Jose (near Milpitas), so I want to sell it someone in the area to avoid shipping charge. I can demo it before you buy if you willing to come to San Jose. I am currently using it to charge two EVs (VOLT and RAV4 EV), and it works GREAT, especially with RAVCHARGER!

Please let me know by PM if you or anyone else is interested. It will be available in 2 to 3 weeks (waiting for JuiceBox).

Here's a link to Amazon for more information (see my **5** STAR review under "Dsinned") . . . http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB32-5ML-Evr-Green-Kilowatt-Charging/dp/B007Q0YYV8

Congratulations on the purchase!

I just got mine on Saturday, and it's great!

Dsinned -- what're your thoughts on safety/fire hazard with the juicebox?

CONGRATS to you as well riderbike37!

I have not receive my JB yet, but after thoroughly reading up on it on ALL the EV forums, including all its open source docs on EMW's website, it looks to be a first rate product. I ordered a pre-assembled base unit with all available options. That puts the price tag just North of $700 with tax and shipping.

As you know, it does not (yet?) have any safety approval. It may in the future after EMW's gets through all the red tape to file for UL safety approval. I don't consider that a deal breaker and I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt on that issue while I give a unit a proper trial in my own charging applications. They claim to have shipped over 1000 units and I have yet to hear or read anyone saying their JB, EV or house caught on fire! Even TESLA has had their share of problems along these lines, but the Model S is still one of the most highly regarded EVs currently available. :mrgreen:

Back