Tire repair kit sealanet

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rav4EV01161

I used the emergency tire puncture repair kit for the first time today.
Lessons learned:
a) The sealant can ruin the pressor sensor (costing roughly $100), but it didn't seem to this time.
b) You cannot use the provided air compressor without the sealant.
c) Toyota dealerships don't sell replacement cans of sealant, only the entire repair kit for $189.

Even the dealer suggested I shop for an alternative online.
Amazon carries the Slime SS-PDQ/06 Smart Spair 15-Minute Emergency Tire Repair Kit for $25.
Supposedly the Slime product won't ruin the pressor sensor, and the compressor can be used without it.

Anyone have experience in this area?

Rav4EV01161 said:
Lessons learned:
a) The sealant can ruin the pressor sensor (costing roughly $100), but it didn't seem to this time.
c) Toyota dealerships don't sell replacement cans of sealant, only the entire repair kit for $189.

Anyone have experience in this area?

I haven't had experience but I have heard stories of the sealant ruining the sensors so my plan is going to be to call AAA.
In the past when I have had a tire problem, it has been a slow leak. In those cases I have a 12 volt compressor to get enough pressure in a tire to allow me to limp to a service station or tire shop to repair the tire.

There are several threads on the PriusChat Plug-in forums, as this really is a problem. Most of us just ended up getting the TPMS safe slime, while also getting a tire plug kit, and a compressor.

You cannot go wrong with this kit. on sale now for $49, I have two, one for the Prius PlugIn (now replaced with a Volt) and one for my rav.

Very strong compressor and all the tools you would need. And a spotlight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YMP1SA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Despite the picture, the kit comes with the Yellow slime which is TPMS safe. Both of my kits came with yellow.

Rav4EV01161 said:
Lessons learned:

This problem has been extensively discussed on the Chevy Volt Forum

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?18513-DO-NOT-USE-YOUR-FLAT-TIRE-REPAIR-GEL!!!&highlight=tpms+sealant

The general opinion was that if you used a manufacturer supplied and approved product, and it ruined the TPMS or the tire, then repairs should be covered under the manufacturers warranty. Has anyone contacted Toyota Customer Care to ask whether they will cover such damage? GM says they will for the Volt.

If they wont, I suggest selling the unit on eBay and get the following from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-70005-Safety-7-Minute-12-Volt/dp/B001DZFZPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391710319&sr=8-1&keywords=slime+70005

I spole to a rep from SLIME and they said that the product will fill a 1/4" hole and not damage the TPMS. The tire has to be removed and repaired quickly, and the TPMS blown out with air pressure. The SLIME cartridge can be replaced separately.

Maybe I missed something, and fortunately I haven't had to try, but why not just press the SoS button and call Toyota Care? They just sub to AAA but still I would have to off roading to use the tire kit first.

I just experienced a flat and had to use the emergency tire puncture kit. It was surprisingly easy to use and did it's job well. I had run over a roofing nail in the middle of the tread which had eventually fallen out. Probably the ideal size and location for what the goo was designed to fill. After I injected the contents into the tire, the white goo/glue did leak out some as the puncture hole was not sealed immediately. I drove 30 miles to home expecting the low tire warning light to come on again along the way. If it did, I was confident that I could pull over and use the electric pump to fill it up again long enough to get me home. But to my pleasant surprise, I never got the warning light and made it without issue. I couldn't take my car in to get it fixed until the next day, so I set out my air compressor to fill it up in the morning. However, the tire was still full. The goo had sealed the hole. Even after 24h and 60 miles, the tire was doing fine.

Since I had 42k miles on them and my inspection was coming due in March, I decided to purchase a new set of Michelin Defenders ($60 rebate at Discount Tire), based on the info I've read on this forum. They seem to be really nice, but then again, I think all new tires feel nice.

I too was concerned about the sealant damaging the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), but Discount Tire had no problem with it and it still seems to work. I'm very pleased with how everything worked out (as it was designed to), so I was never stranded (for more than 15 minutes).

Does anyone know the Toyota part number for the replacement sealant?

Back