Replacement housing for Aerovironment J1772 plug

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marclev

So the charging cable on my Aerovironment EVSE got run over while I was plugged in, and the handle was pulled out of the charging port. No sign of damage to my Rav, but the external housing on the J1772 plug is broken. No apparent damage to the electrical components (still charges), but it's not exactly safe.

I'm pretty sure that I just need a replacement housing-- but Aerovironment won't sell me one, they will only sell a replacement cable+plug assembly at almost half the replacement cost of the EVSE. (The customer service guy was embarrassed even telling me the cost, and kept apologizing.)

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on where to source a replacement plug housing (new or used)? I know that I can purchase a new plug, but it just seems silly. Duct tape would probably do the trick for a while, but isn't a great long-term solution.

Thanks.

Marc

You can also buy Leviton 30A 20 foot J1772 cable assembly for $165 on Amazon. That's probably a lot less than AV is asking.

I'd look around the various EV forums for someone who had their EVSE break. Nissan was pushing that model, so start on the LEAF forum. Make an offer on the dead unit, then scavenge the parts you need. It may or may not turn out to be cheaper than a new cable and handle.

TonyWilliams said:
I have a used Yazaki cable / plug also.

$75
If I'm not mistaken, that's the same plug that the Aerovironment uses. Looks like this?
images

marclev said:
TonyWilliams said:
Yes. It's in San Diego.

I don't think that's the exact same handle, but it should work fine. What's the cable length for this one?

Marc

White is 16 FT. gray is 24 feet. That is the older colors. SINCE UV discolors the white the later ones are black. The whole 24 ft cable is sometimes on Ebay for $100. That is what I paid for a Chargepoint (Yazaki) cable.

Tony's $75 is a great deal. Go for it!

Tony - does your repair include the LED in the handle? Thats a great addition on the Jesla unit - makes plugging in at night super easy!

Tadol said:
Tony - does your repair include the LED in the handle? Thats a great addition on the Jesla unit - makes plugging in at night super easy!

If you're talking about our J-Plug and cable assembly, yes, we can put an LED light in it. You would need a 3.3 volt power supply to operate it.

As long as the plug is the same you can just use the parts with your existing cable. It just takes a Torx security tool. I think it is T15 but it has been a while.

Back