Recommended EVSE

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TardisBlue

I just got myself a Rav4 EV. Just found out about the car a week ago, so I made the decision in a hurry. I'm trying to sort through all of the charging options so that I can actually start enjoying the vehicle without waiting 40 hours for it to charge.

What are you recommendations on EVSEs? I like the idea of using a 40A charger, but it appears that the only option is the Leviton and it's expensive. The Clipper Creek has a 48A option, but it's something I wouldn't be able to support on my planned #6 wire for 40/50A

I was also considering the JESLA, but the downside of having to plug and unplug it after each use, probably outweighs the convenience and portability of it.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Siemens VersiCharge 30A VC30 as it's ready to use straight out of the box.

I wish I there was a affordable 40A charger. I know I can get cheaper options such as the JuiceBox and OpenEVSE units, but I have no experience with electronics and the lack of UL certification worries me.

Are there any other units you would recommend? If you had to choose between a wall mount unit or the JELSA, which would you go with and why?

My apologies if this is a duplicate of a previous post, but I could not find the info I needed.

TardisBlue said:
The Clipper Creek has a 48A option, but it's something I wouldn't be able to support on my planned #6 wire for 40/50A.
Why not? #6 is good for 60 amps. Just get a 60 amp breaker and let it rip.

TardisBlue said:
I just got myself a Rav4 EV. Just found out about the car a week ago, so I made the decision in a hurry. I'm trying to sort through all of the charging options so that I can actually start enjoying the vehicle without waiting 40 hours for it to charge.

What are you recommendations on EVSEs? I like the idea of using a 40A charger, but it appears that the only option is the Leviton and it's expensive. The Clipper Creek has a 48A option, but it's something I wouldn't be able to support on my planned #6 wire for 40/50A
I got the Leviton EVB40 before the Jesla was even an available choice and don't regret it. If you hard wire the Clipper Creek HCS-60 you can use the #6 wire in conduit. I'm not an expert, I'm just going by the table posted here. The Clipper Creek is $900 and the Leviton is $950. If you check Amazon periodically, they will have them under the Warehouse Deals, which are probably customer returns, for about $850. In the big picture of buying an electric car, I don't consider $50 to be significant.

TardisBlue said:
I wish I there was a affordable 40A charger. I know I can get cheaper options such as the JuiceBox and OpenEVSE units, but I have no experience with electronics and the lack of UL certification worries me.

Are there any other units you would recommend? If you had to choose between a wall mount unit or the JELSA, which would you go with and why?

My apologies if this is a duplicate of a previous post, but I could not find the info I needed.
First, CONGRATS on your new RAV4 EV! :mrgreen:

I started out with a Leviton EVB32 series (240V, 32A, 7.7kW) L2 EVSE with a 25' long output cable. The length of the cable can be quite important in certain situations (even at home). It is UL listed and semi-permanently mounts to a wall in my garage. It also has a built in saddle for coiling up the output cable so that it does not lay on the floor when not in use. The unit can easily be "unmounted" if need be to take with you in the car for portability purposes. Btw, I have it up for sale, so if you are interested, please let me know. I paid about $1500 for it from Home Depot, including the wall mounting kit. It can be purchased online for a lot cheaper now, but still cost well over $900 with tax and/or shipping. I'll sell you mine for $700 + shipping.

I replaced the original 1' long input cord/plug to a 4 footer with a NEMA 14-50P plug. The latter is more universally compatible for portable applications such as generally found in RV Parks, and the longer input cord may well come in handy.

My current preference is a JuiceBox. Mine came fully optioned and preassembled in an aluminum Basic Enclosure for ~$700. The Remote, WiFi and LCD display options are what sold me, and it can be easily wall mounted or taken with you for portable charging applications.

I can use either my Leviton or my JB, preset to output at 32A, to complete a recharge of my RAV4 EV scheduled after midnight with plenty of time to spare before 7am.

Dsinned said:
I started out with a Leviton EVB32 series (240V, 32A, 7.7kW)

I replaced the original 1' long input cord/plug to a 4 footer with a NEMA 14-50P plug. The latter is more universally compatible for portable applications such as generally found in RV Parks, and the longer input cord may well come in handy...

I can use either my Leviton or my JB, preset to output at 32A, to complete a recharge of my RAV4 EV scheduled after midnight with plenty of time to spare before 7am.

One thing that might not be clear is that when traveling is that you want as much portability and flexibility as possible. Portable means just that; a light weight, small and easy to maneuver device. Flexibility with the cord on both JLong and JESLA is possible due to use of parallel 12 gauge wires per each power line for the most flexibility in the business. Nobody comes close.

You also need the ability to ADJUST the amperage for the respective circuit when you're on the road or just visiting somebody's house.

JESLA will output the following amperages automatically with the respective plug:

....................................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

In addition, when traveling, charging speed is crucial. My brother Bob is traveling from San Diego to eastern Washington state in his new Rav4 EV. It will require 12-15 charge events. If each stop was to depletion, then 50kWh is required to fully recharge.

That charge is 5.3 hours at the 9.6kW instead of 7 - 7.5 hours at 30-32 amps. Adding 2 hours to a dozen charge events adds one full 24 hour day (12 events multiplied by 2 additional hours).

The 32 amp Leviton wall unit is not any of the above.

If you want only a wall mount charge station with a slower charge rate, there is no reason not to buy a Leviton, although I absolutely prefer and use a Clipper Creek CS series (at 40 amps) at home.

One final issue about charging at the slower rates with Super Off Peak electric rates from your utility. If your charge is outside the period, it will cost you money. My period is midnight to 5 am, so a charge over 5 hours more than doubles the electric rate.

It is absolutley NOT required, or even desirable, to unplug the JESLA daily. None of the Tesla charging products (Model S UMC, Roadster UMC, Supercharger) are UL listed. JESLA is based on the Tesla Model S UMC.

If you need a long extension cord, we offer our fully J1772 compliant JLong at up to 40 feet.

Tony, the niche market for a 32A EVSE is for wall mounting in a garage, where the 240V outlet and infrastructure wiring (and circuit breaker protection) is rated for 40A maximum. This is the situation in my case, but I did not feel it was worth the extra cost to replace my existing wiring and CB for a 50A (max) circuit. Doing so would have added at least another couple hundred to the cost of the EVSE. But, I would have done that if the time it took to recharge my RAV4 EV's fully depleted battery was longer than 7 hours. Typically, it takes only 3 to 5 hours depending on the initial SoC for a "standard" charge. I very seldom need to do any extended charging, which would still most likely be under 7 hours to complete.

In Northern CA (PG&E territory) under the E-9A rate plan, the lowest rate, seven days a week, is from midnight to 7am (even longer on weekends). Therefore, there is no point to paying more for a 40A capable EVSE when most, if not all of one's charging requirements can be done during the lowest rate (off peak) period of time. Also, in theory, a wall mount 40A EVSE generally will be bulkier and heavier, and same for the input/output cables because everything must be rated for the full 40 amps. Conversely, a 32A EVSE (even a semi-permanent wall mount with an input plug-in receptacle) should be lighter and less bulky for taking on trips. However, if there will always be an RV Park in-route, where 240V, 50A (NEMA 14-50R) receptacles are available, I tend to agree that a 40A capable EVSE would be the best overall choice for a RAV4 EV, and a JESLA is currently the most portable of the bunch.

Dsinned said:
Also, in theory, a wall mount 40A EVSE generally will be bulkier and heavier, and same for the input/output cables because everything must be rated for the full 40 amps. Conversely, a 32A EVSE (even a semi-permanent wall mount with an input plug-in receptacle) should be lighter and less bulky for taking on trips. However, if there will always be an RV Park in-route, where 240V, 50A (NEMA 14-50R) receptacles are available, I tend to agree that a 40A capable EVSE would be the best overall choice for a RAV4 EV, and a JESLA is currently the most portable of the bunch.

Yes, of course, if you have a 40 amp (32 amp continuous) circuit, it is cheaper to use that than to replace it with a 50 amp breaker ($3-$20 at Home Depot), replace the wires (few dollars per foot) and replace the outlet with a NEMA 14-50R (we sell for $5.99).

You would think your 32 amp cable would be lighter and more flexible than our 40 amp one, but you'd be wrong !

Tony, I agree, most of the parts are fairly cheap, but don't forget the added cost of filing for a permit, and hiring an Electrician to run the 6AWG wire to a new (50A) outlet. If this can be done by the homeowner with proper tools and knowledge, the savings on hiring an Electrician can be significant. However, I suspect the permitting would still add a few hundred dollars.

But, why do any of this if you don't need it?

The point I am trying to make is quite simply a majority of RAV4 EVs will be charged exclusively in the owner's garage (or driveway) during overnight periods when their electric rate is cheapest, and a 32A EVSE is more than adequate for this purpose.

Dsinned said:
The point I am trying to make is quite simply a majority of RAV4 EVs will be charged exclusively in the owner's garage (or driveway) during overnight periods when their electric rate is cheapest, and a 32A EVSE is more than adequate for this purpose.

For some folks, the stock 12 amp / 120 volt is adequate.

That's the beauty of choice. For anybody driving long-ish distances, needing to fit in a narrow time charge window, etc, faster is better.

One metric that is a given... 40 amp charging is more efficient and will add higher miles per billed kWh by virtue of less time running the battery overhead loads of battery cooling.

TonyWilliams said:
Dsinned said:

For some folks, the stock 12 amp / 120 volt is adequate.

That's the beauty of choice. For anybody driving long-ish distances, needing to fit in a narrow time charge window, etc, faster is better.

One metric that is a given... 40 amp charging is more efficient and will add higher miles per billed kWh by virtue of less time running the battery overhead loads of battery cooling.

All points well taken, however I disagree with, "For some folks, the stock 12 amp / 120 volt is adequate." I can't imagine ANYONE being content with how long it takes to recharge under these conditions, not to mention the added expense of not being able to recharge during overnight "off peak" rate periods. By "some" you must mean RAV4 EV owners that only drive their car one or two days per week, but NEVER on consecutive days! :mrgreen:

smkettner said:
L1 is good for maybe 30 miles per day.
I do 40-50 miles a day and as long as I'm in the garage by 6, with L1 I am ready to go the next morning with a full tank of electrons. I am pretty much stuck with L1 in the garage. The panel is on the opposite side of the house in a two story duplex. Even the quick 240 won't work as everything is on the same leg in the garage. Don't really want to go thru the effort to run 240V thru the attic, walls and down to the garage. I have learned to live with the L1. Even if I drive more from time to time I just charge as much as I can and finish up the next day or take my ice truck. I do have the CS60 at my office if needed. No problems... YMMV...

I did not intend to say L1 would limit you to 30 miles. I just would not promise more than that.
I struggled to average 45 miles per day on my LEAF during the first five months using L1. LEAF is somewhat more efficient than RAV.

AvLegends said:
I am pretty much stuck with L1 in the garage. The panel is on the opposite side of the house in a two story duplex. Even the quick 240 won't work as everything is on the same leg in the garage. Don't really want to go thru the effort to run 240V thru the attic, walls and down to the garage. I have learned to live with the L1. Even if I drive more from time to time I just charge as much as I can and finish up the next day or take my ice truck. I do have the CS60 at my office if needed. No problems... YMMV...
If you have a dedicated circuit to the garage, and are willing to remove all but one outlet on the circuit, you could easily convert it to a 240v circuit by just replacing the breaker and outlet. That way you can at least double your charging speed, and if it's on #12 wire you could bump up the charging from 12 to 16 amps too.

Back