Rav4 EV / Mercedes B class EV Comparison

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james

Hi

I believe that several folks on this forum have both cars and was wondering about the differences. The plus and minus for both.

Can anyone share this?

thanks

Not sure how you compare an SUV to a Mercedes passenger car. These are very different and the only similarity is the motor and a smaller pack on the Mercedes. The drive functions the same way with just less range.

The thing is, the B-class is larger than compact hatchbacks, and only a little smaller than compact SUVs like the RAV and the CR-V, which makes it hard to compare it with either segment. The B-class's dimensions aren't that much smaller than the RAV on paper - perhaps it's more apparent when you actually put them side-by-side.

I'm sure that's part of the reason why James is asking, as it's not clear how much space and practicality you'd actually get or give up moving between the two.

My B is a small SUV. It is certainly not a car.

That said, I like it a lot better than my old Leaf SL.

I had a woman come up to me at a Trader Joe's asking about the car since her ML lease was just about up. I told her that in the USA it was only available as an EV and she went away grumbling. There is a market for a small SUV but the concept of an Electric Drive car scares many away.

GlennD said:
... I told her that in the USA it was only available as an EV and she went away grumbling...
That's just silly. I'll bet that she doesn't drive more than 80 miles per day. 91 is almost $4 a gallon again.

GlennD said:
My B is a small SUV. It is certainly not a car.
eschatfische said:
The thing is, the B-class is larger than compact hatchbacks, and only a little smaller than compact SUVs like the RAV and the CR-V
4EVEREV said:
Not sure how you compare an SUV to a Mercedes passenger car. These are very different and the only similarity is the motor and a smaller pack on the Mercedes. The drive functions the same way with just less range.
FWIW, per the specs tab of http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35960&id=34918&id=35556&id=33308, the B-Class ED is classified as a midsize car (and not any sort of "light truck" (which includes SUVs, minivans, pickups and some vans)). In terms of interior volume, it's actually smaller than the Prius and Leaf, which are both also classified as midsize car.

Ferdball said:
GlennD said:
... I told her that in the USA it was only available as an EV and she went away grumbling...
That's just silly. I'll bet that she doesn't drive more than 80 miles per day. 91 is almost $4 a gallon again.

You and I agree. The overwhelming bias is that they will run out of power. With the exception of a few Los Vegas conventions my Leaf range was just fine. I am a home body and I never have needed to pay for charging. In that case a rental makes more sense to avoid wear and tear on any car. Tony's efforts are wasted on me.

I looked at my registration. When I had my Tribeca it said station wagon. On my B Class it now says 150 whatever that means.

I saw a used B for sale, but couldn't figure out if it had the range extension enabled. Is there an easy way to tell?

I test drove one about a month ago to compare against Rav4 EV.

Only thing I liked : the ride is nicer and quieter.

Other than that, the interior felt cheap compared to BMW 3-series or Audi A4. I felt cramped inside with small windows out the side and back. The accelerator feel is not linear like other EVs I've driven. Not much power until 50% into it, and then it takes off. I didn't like that much since you have to push it hard to get it moving.

The sales guy gave a price of $41K out-the-door (+tax - $9K discount) with most options (range extender software update included). If you consider $7.5K and $2.5K CA tax credits, $31K net. I thought that was pretty good price considering I picked up a used '12 Rav4 EV for $34K.

ravitup said:
I test drove one about a month ago to compare against Rav4 EV.

Only thing I liked : the ride is nicer and quieter.

Other than that, the interior felt cheap compared to BMW 3-series or Audi A4. I felt cramped inside with small windows out the side and back. The accelerator feel is not linear like other EVs I've driven. Not much power until 50% into it, and then it takes off. I didn't like that much since you have to push it hard to get it moving.

The sales guy gave a price of $41K out-the-door (+tax - $9K discount) with most options (range extender software update included). If you consider $7.5K and $2.5K CA tax credits, $31K net. I thought that was pretty good price considering I picked up a used '12 Rav4 EV for $34K.

The default is economy. If you select sport the power curve changes. Flooring it is the same in both modes.

I was torn between BMW and Mercedes. With all of the i3 problem reports I am glad for my choice. The only reported problem so far is an error message that a firmware upgrade fixed. From a comment from a user with a bad cellular router the B like the Tesla S will upgrade over the air.

The interior may be less luxurious than the Audi but it is miles above my leaf. It also has far more bells and whistles. The entailment radio even has a weather band. I found it while listening to the motor noise on AM. I have a door somewhat ding on the drivers door. You can see just how thick the paint is. On my Leaf it would have left a bad ding!

If you will settle for a leftover 2014 there are reports of sub 30K deals.

Back