Quotes and costs for installing a DWP 'special rate' meter

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macfly

I got one quote so far, and it was around 2k to install the meter, and another 1500 to run the line to the charger, install it and set it up. Seems pretty expensive to me, especially since its all outside and easy straight runs.

I chose to go with a Schneider Versicharge 30 Amp Nema-4 Indoor/Outdoor bottom feed because it looks nice, and can go on the outside of my garage. :)

Love to hear what others have found/used and paid for installs etc.

It's rarely worthwhile to spend money on a 2nd meter - just charge on the same meter as your house. You can usually still get special EV rates with just one meter, like on a time-of-use plan where you keep all your charging in the middle of the night. And if you were willing to spend $2k, you might as well put that money toward solar instead.

And $1500 sounds ridiculously overpriced for what you described. I think some electricians out there hear "EV charger" and think they can get away with ripping off some rich guy who doesn't know any better (kinda like if you're buying flowers and say they're "for a wedding.") I had a 240v circuit installed that sounds similar to what you're doing - straight exterior run down the side of my house from the back corner to the front corner by the driveway - and it was $500. But I asked the electrician to "install a 50 amp RV outlet" instead of mentioning it was for an EV. ;)

And by the way, there's no "set it up" for these things - you connect the wires, flip the circuit breaker on, and you're done. And while a Versicharge is an ok choice, if you're going to have to install a brand new circuit anyway, why not get at least a 50 amp circuit and a 40+ amp EVSE?

I have a second meter for EV charging since I was the 7th person to apply under LADWP's EVSE program (mid-2011). Back then, LADWP required the second meter to qualify for the full rebate - which is no longer the case. Based on that, I would second everything Joe said.

Also, for a reference point I had about 100' of cable runs, plus a subpanel in the garage that splits to a 40A and 20A circuit. The 40A supplies an AeroVironment EVSE-RS and the 20A supplies a hacked LEAF Level 1 charger. Everything, including wiring, labour, second meter, subpanels, permitting, and the EVSE-RS hardware itself (which I paid about $1100 for at the time) came to a grand total of $3420. LADWP's rebate was $2000 and I got most of the rest covered through the federal EVSE credit so my out-of-pocket was fairly minimal.

You should definitely seek another quote. Sustainable Solutions Partners did my install and they have done work for many others in the EV community (they are RAV4 EV drivers too). Their website is http://sustainsp.com/

Yes, to qualify LADWP will install a totally new TOU and utility meter just for the EV service. This meter (TOU) will have its own weather head and be fed off the main lines tapped off the mains that come down from your main line. If you're underground or subterranean then they'll tap off that line.

They have to put in a 2nd TOU meter because it's separate service from the house. Your house is not (usually)on a TOU setup and they would have no way differentiate the house rate and the EV rate (yes they are different.. EV is at $.06 low off peak)

In the end I got the full $2k rebate but it took 8 months. An electrician (i know of 2 here locally in the valley) should run around $500-900 depending on length of run, permits, bldg construction, etc,etc,etc,etc.. I had 4ga run from the weather-head drop to the sub and 6ga to 2 separate drops.

Good luck!

P.S. if you decide to go the LADWP route.. prepare for a wild ride... (I was lucky #13)

And also.. just buy or get an Open-EVSE.

JasonA said:
Yes, to qualify LADWP will install a totally new TOU and utility meter just for the EV service. This meter (TOU) will have its own weather head and be fed off the main lines tapped off the mains that come down from your main line. If you're underground or subterranean then they'll tap off that line.

They have to put in a 2nd TOU meter because it's separate service from the house. Your house is not (usually)on a TOU setup and they would have no way differentiate the house rate and the EV rate (yes they are different.. EV is at $.06 low off peak)

This is no longer completely true. You don't need a separate meter to qualify for the rebate, only for the EV charging discount. Here's the info from their FAQ guide:

Residential customers no longer need a separate LADWP
Time-of-Use (TOU) meter to qualify for the rebate; however,
customers who choose to install a TOU meter are eligible for
an additional $250 credit on their LADWP bill. This dedicated
service will add additional cost to the installation process but
will yield lower electricity costs for base period charging.

I should have been more specific.. to "qualify for EV rates" you will need a "SPECIFIC EV TOU METER SUBPANEL"

I've been in arguments with plenty of people on the Leaf forum and I've said...

"show me how your ENTIRE house meter will know when your EV is plugged in at night and if you're running a 240v dryer or oven, etc, etc"

DUHHHHH.. yeah.. it doesn't know..

If you want to do it right (and you don't have solar :lol: 9 tiers of fun in LADWP) then go with the separate EV setup.

It can be done for waayyy under the LADWP price and there are plenty of "EV" electricians that will do it, pull the permits, etc..

Then get your rebate... and you're gravy

I'm in SCE and not LADWP, so I don't know about their rates / rebates. But if a rebate can cover all or most of the cost of a 2nd meter then it could certainly be worth it. But if you're talking $2k out of pocket then it's very unlikely to be worth it, as I originally stated. And the 30% federal tax credit for EVSEs is no more, correct? Sadly I never could qualify for that anyway because of claiming the $7500 EV credit in the same year. :(

fooljoe said:
I'm in SCE and not LADWP, so I don't know about their rates / rebates. But if a rebate can cover all or most of the cost of a 2nd meter then it could certainly be worth it. But if you're talking $2k out of pocket then it's very unlikely to be worth it, as I originally stated. And the 30% federal tax credit for EVSEs is no more, correct? Sadly I never could qualify for that anyway because of claiming the $7500 EV credit in the same year. :(
Yes, the federal EVSE credit is gone now and the LADWP rebate has been reduced to $1000 (I believe) whereas before it was $2000. But also, the cost of an EVSE has fallen considerably since then so that helps.

Back