obd 2 adapter

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaMonster

Has anyone used an OBD 2 adapter to talk to their Rav4? I tried using mine (which worked with the Volvo and Audi) and it doesn't work with the Rav4 EV. Mine is an inexpensive Bluetooth adapter which I use with the Torque app on Android. I'm not sure if the issue is the Torque app or the adapter or what. Anyone successfully used the OBD interface?

I have an OBD2 Kiwi WiFi made by a company in Silicon Valley called PLX Devices. It links to my iPhone 4S (iOS 6.01) via an iTunes app called "REV". The Kiwi WiFi module cost $149 and as I recall the app was originally $40, which I bought about 3 years ago. There is a free REV "Lite" version demo of the software. I haven't tried it yet though on my RAV4 EV, but I know it works fine on my 2008 Z06. I don't know if it supports any EVs, but seems to be compatible with a wide range of ICE vehicles.

For more information: http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTWIFI

Could you please try it on your Rav4 EV? My OBD 2 adapter works great on my other cars but not on the Rav4 EV.

I have a $23 BAFX BlueTooth OBD 2 adapter (available on Amazon) and I use Torque on Android which costs something like $4.

My understanding that these OBD2 port monitors are only applicable to "ICE" vehicles, i.e. those that emit CO2, hydocarbons, and thus require mixtures of gasoline and oxygen to generate power due to internal combustion. Most, if not all parameters in the data stream are related to ICE operating condition. In the case of BEVs, there is no ICE, emissions, fuel mixture, etc. I'm not even sure something as fundamental as engine "rpm" relates to BEVs, because our cars have electric motor drivetrains. Although, it would be interesting to at least monitor traction "motor" rpm, and certainly torque because some of these scanners can estimate output power delivered to the driven wheels.

I remember reading some where that the 2012 RAV4 EV does in fact support OBD2, not to mention there is ubiqutious OBD2 connector under the dash, but it also has a totally independent suite of diagnostics (and DTCs) with perhaps a dedicated MCU just for those with respect to the "new" non-ICE related functions of the car.

BTW, since I am a paying customer, I have submitted a request to PLX Devices to find out what if any support they offer for BEVs. Stay tuned . . . :mrgreen:

I tried my Garmin OBD EcoRout Communicator and it did not work. I have a Scanguage somewhere, and will try it if I can find it,

I did look into the spec and the CANbus signal is on pins 6 and 14 of the connector. The CANbus spec calls for 120 Ohm resistors on each end so the connector should read 60 Ohms between pins 6 and 14.
I would suspect that there is CANbus communication going on but I don't have the tools to detect the protocol or the baud rate. Some of the other pins are supposed to provide power and it may be that they are not enabled so my device could not power up.

UPDATE: Tony has already done some sniffing and found data on the Tesla proprietary connector on pins 6 and 14 on this thread:
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=122&p=623&hilit=GId#p623

SeaMonster said:
Could you please try it on your Rav4 EV? My OBD 2 adapter works great on my other cars but not on the Rav4 EV.

I have a $23 BAFX BlueTooth OBD 2 adapter (available on Amazon) and I use Torque on Android which costs something like $4.

I have a BlueTooth OBD 2 adapter from PLX ($99) which I use to communicate with Torque as well. Works great for my Prius and CR-V. Doesn't spit out anything on the RAV4EV.

Back