Non-functioning Level 1 EVSE for sale

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Bornstein

I have a Voltec EVSE that came with my 2014 Volt that I stupidly smoked by applying 240V :( . It no longer functions. I partially disassembled it and could find no obvious burned parts :) . The EVSE board is made by Clipper Creek :D . If someone is experienced with electronics, it could probably be repaired :geek: . Otherwise, it should supply some useful parts. The GM part number is 2314-5307, and it is the black model. I am asking $100 plus shipping. Anyone interested? :?:

Michael Bornstein said:
I have a Voltec EVSE that came with my 2014 Volt that I stupidly smoked by applying 240V :( . It no longer functions. I partially disassembled it and could find no obvious burned parts :) . The EVSE board is made by Clipper Creek :D . If someone is experienced with electronics, it could probably be repaired :geek: . Otherwise, it should supply some useful parts. The GM part number is 2314-5307, and it is the black model. I am asking $100 plus shipping. Anyone interested? :?:

There is nothing in there worth even $40 really, even working it's barely worth $100. Your best bet is to try an dump it on ebay. Repairing it would cost too much and take too much time and for a L1 unit it makes no sense.

4EVEREV said:
Michael Bornstein said:
There is nothing in there worth even $40 really, even working it's barely worth $100. Your best bet is to try an dump it on ebay. Repairing it would cost too much and take too much time and for a L1 unit it makes no sense.
...And the only part that might be valuable, the plug and cable, is only rated for 12a as I recall. If it were at least 16a, then someone could use it for a 3.3kW EVSE. Check the cord's rating. If it IS 16a, and it's in good condition, then it might be useful to someone.

4EVEREV said:
pchilds said:
You could put a OpenEVSE board in it for under $100.

Plus a power supply, relays, etc. and a lot of work and all for a low level unit.

The OpenEVSE board is $64, includes power supply, the $100 should cover everything but his time. The relay and GFIC coil might be usable from the dead unit. Then the cost would be less.

pchilds said:
4EVEREV said:
pchilds said:

Plus a power supply, relays, etc. and a lot of work and all for a low level unit.

The OpenEVSE board is $64, includes power supply, the $100 should cover everything but his time. The relay and GFIC coil might be usable from the dead unit. Then the cost would be less.

Chris raised the price to $69. It is still a bargain.

My B came with a Voltec EVSE (bah humbug). Mercedes wants $1000 for it! It has 14 gauge wire. I do not plan to use it even at the default 8A. It can be set to 12A.

pchilds said:
4EVEREV said:
pchilds said:

It's more involved then that and not worth the money and effort.

Thanks for the advice. I did end up selling the dead unit to a ham in Florida.

To replace it I bought the unit from EVI. From the sound of it, it is probably a reboxed OpenEVSE rated at 16A for L1 and L2. It comes with an L6-?? connector and adaptors to 14-50 and 5-15. It supposedly has a voltage and current meter.

The 16A rating is fine for the Volt. I'll report back on the unit once I get it.

My Leviton is winging its way to Chula Vista for repairs.

Mike

TonyWilliams said:
On both the RAV4 EV and Mercedes B-Class ED, I take those stock charge cords and box them up for the end of the lease.

They have no value to me except at 36 months.

I agree! they are over priced junk. Boxing up the EVSE is a good idea. Mercedes wants $1000 for the Voltec unit. I certainly have no plans to use it.

Back