New NRG EVGO L3 DC Fast Charging Station in Salinas

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swogee

There appears to a recently installed CHADEMO/CCS L3 DC fast charger installed at Blanco Rd and Hwy 68 in Salinas. The charger is operational as of 4 days ago and it seems to be a 50KW ABB unit on the NRG EVGO network. It's $9.95 for 30 minutes. So Gilroy isn't the closest point to SLO with a DC fast charger now. The location of the charger isn't close to 101, but if a person is traveling from SLO to Monterey it is along the route to Monterey.

It is a full and typical Freedom Station installation. It has the mentioned ABB 50kW CHAdeMO + SAE Combo charger in addition to a Nissan 44kW CHAdeMO and a wall mounted L2 EVSE.

Plugshare Link

The Gilroy station is not complete yet. It is under construction next to the Tesla Superchargers.

That's awesome! Only about a mile from my stepmom's house.

It's a good, safe location. Pete's coffee inside Nob Hill, a few decent places to eat nearby as well.

Salinas still isn't very large, so the detour really isn't that bad.

I charged there yesterday with the Jdemo on the rav4ev.
20150812_184929_small.jpg

The abb unit is limited to 100 amps charging rate, but the nissan supplies the usual 115 amps.
Handy to know ;-)

Btw, with this new unit installed, I now prefer the 101 over the 99
The charger in Bakersfield has been down for over a month and people refuse to power cycle the unit, even at night when it is cool outside.
On the 101, there is a gap between Salinas and Solvang.
Imho the best place to stop is the free Rabobank in Atascadero (240 volt 40 amps).

I had charged my rav in Salinas to read 117/133 on the GOM (with and without ventilation activated)
From Salinas I drove 56mph on cruise control to Atascadero.
I arrived in Atascadero with the following trip stats:
107.3 miles driven
2 hours 5 minutes driving time
3.8 miles/kWh
66/100 eco score.
My gom showed 21 miles range with ventilation and 24 without.

I charged for 3 hours at L2 240V/40 Amps
My gom read 105/121
Next stop was the quick charger in Solvang (which is known to overheat, but I was there in the middle of the night with 57F so all was good)
Again: 56 mph on cruise controle on the 101, and the last part to the QC was 45 mph (uphill)

I arrived with: 80.4 miles, 1 hour 37 minutes, 3.6 miles/kWh
27/ 31 range on the GOM

From there on there are several QC's within range, including a new one at the Santa Barbara Costco, 34 miles away.

Other thing I found out on the 99, A lot of the ChadeMo chargers are at Nissan dealers and when they close, they block the entrance to the lot with cars. So even though you have a subscription to NRG/EVGO and you pay for the usage, only accessible during business hours. Because I left Sunday morning I was in for a surprise by the time it was 4pm on Sunday.

The trip I made yesterday was from Lake Port https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lakeport,+CA+95453 to Camarillo Ventura
Total distance was 497 miles, total trip time including charging, restrooms, fast food etc was 16 hours 30 minutes
6 charge stops including 3 hour "slow charging" in Atascadero

fromport said:
The abb unit is limited to 100 amps charging rate, but the nissan supplies the usual 115 amps.
Handy to know ;-)
Yeah but the ABB will run all day in scorching heat and not die on you! :lol:

I'd rather have 100 SOLID amps then 115 shaky amps :shock: and then come back and it's dead

Damn filters

JasonA said:
fromport said:
Handy to know ;-)
Yeah but the ABB will run all day in scorching heat and not die on you! :lol:

I'd rather have 100 SOLID amps then 115 shaky amps :shock: and then come back and it's dead

Damn filters

This abb started absolutely silent, no fans running at all.
I was scared for a bit, what if it suddenly melted ;-)
Within minutes the fans came on, and minutes later, nice hot air came out of the unit.
SO depending on the ambient temp, it is okay to use a nissan charger , but about 85F ambient temp, better choose the ABB

Normally just lurk and read all the great posts. Been really appreciating my alpha JdeMO, and especially the updated board (#5) that allows me to now charge using Blink L3s (a lot of them around WA), Eaton L3s (in BC), and ABB chargers.

WA got more funding to add more L3s, and NRG has been very busy here. Unfortunately, almost all are BCC (BCT?) units that my alpha doesn't like.

The JESLA has also been a super important thing for me. Last weekend I attended a grand re-opening party at the Tyee Farms market and although they will be getting L2s at some time, they currently have a NEMA 14-50 outlet until the EVSE's are brought in. No L2's or L3 nearby so very useful.

As soon as the stretch from Ashland, OR to Sacramento and/or SF have L3s I'll take that trip to CA. (OK, mainly just so I can drive solo in the HOV lane! :p )

Back