Greaseless ball bearings:Tesla should use these instead ?!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone confirmed that it is indeed the bearings? I am in the process of replacing the steel bearings currently on another EV (not a tesla variant) with hybrid ceramic bearings. Would be interesting to know if this will introduce the hum. Due to the design of the tesla motor (conductive path through the shafts) I believe it is required for them to use non-conductive ceramic bearings. The vehicle that I am doing a replacement on, I believe, has issues with the bearings being used as a ground path- which is causing some strange issues. Could the noise be more due to gear-whine? I have read the other thread on here about the replacements and it seems like Tesla/Toyota has not root caused this issue as yet?

smoothoperator said:
has anyone confirmed that it is indeed the bearings? I am in the process of replacing the steel bearings currently on another EV (not a tesla variant) with hybrid ceramic bearings. Would be interesting to know if this will introduce the hum. Due to the design of the tesla motor (conductive path through the shafts) I believe it is required for them to use non-conductive ceramic bearings. The vehicle that I am doing a replacement on, I believe, has issues with the bearings being used as a ground path- which is causing some strange issues. Could the noise be more due to gear-whine? I have read the other thread on here about the replacements and it seems like Tesla/Toyota has not root caused this issue as yet?
The Tesla drive unit can have many different noises. Most of them are either inverter or gearbox related. I'm not sure I have heard of any motor bearing issues. I'll try and find out.

qwk said:
The Tesla drive unit can have many different noises. Most of them are either inverter or gearbox related. I'm not sure I have heard of any motor bearing issues. I'll try and find out.

within 500 miles after replacing the drive train, my 2696 starts to make a very low noise at speeds 54mph and up. My wife says it is like a big fly is humming under the hood. When you go up a hill ( or under regenerative braking so under load) into a corner at those speeds and leave the "mid position" of your steering wheel, you actually feel a vibration in the steering wheel.

Is that a known phenomena ?

fromport said:
qwk said:

within 500 miles after replacing the drive train, my 2696 starts to make a very low noise at speeds 54mph and up. My wife says it is like a big fly is humming under the hood. When you go up a hill ( or under regenerative braking so under load) into a corner at those speeds and leave the "mid position" of your steering wheel, you actually feel a vibration in the steering wheel.

Is that a known phenomena ?
Yes, that sounds like the "drone" issue. The 2nd gen Tesla drive units have a much better chance to be quiet. It's a different part#, and I don't think that Tesla sends those out for Rav replacements. Tesla remanufactured units(what the Rav gets), suck in quality. That's why you and many Model S owners that have had a DU replacement are having noise issues. What is the vin on your DU(sticker on bottom of motor)?

qwk said:
Yes, that sounds like the "drone" issue. The 2nd gen Tesla drive units have a much better chance to be quiet. It's a different part#, and I don't think that Tesla sends those out for Rav replacements. Tesla remanufactured units(what the Rav gets), suck in quality. That's why you and many Model S owners that have had a DU replacement are having noise issues. What is the vin on your DU(sticker on bottom of motor)?

Thanks for all the info!
I will look when i get back home.
Doing a road trip through Oregon at the moment.
have to remove a shield in order to see the number.
will report in a week or so ;-)

Back